Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-19, 10:45

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%
Default Arachadonic Acid

My first introduction to arachadonic acid which I alwsys mispell, was in DANDR. Dr A cautioned all as it affects some people negatively.

Figured a discussion of aa might benefit more than a few people. So please jump in and add your ecoerience with this essential nutrient.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-19, 10:46

BF:

This was a positive article, with negatives at the end.
https://bodynutrition.org/arachidonic-acid/
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-19, 17:45

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I find the article very misleading. The article is unjustly picking on peanuts which are not even in the list of the top 10.

AA is predominantly found in animal products.
Food sources of arachidonic acid (PFA 20:4), listed in descending order by percentages of their contribution to intake, based on data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005-2006

Food and Contribution to intake (%)
  1. Chicken and chicken mixed dishes 26.9%
  2. Eggs and egg mixed dishes 17.8%
  3. Beef and beef mixed dishes 7.3%
  4. Sausage, franks, bacon, and ribs 6.7%
  5. Other fish and fish mixed dishes 5.8%
  6. Burgers 4.6%
  7. Cold cuts 3.3%
  8. Pork and pork mixed dishes 3.1%
  9. Mexican mixed dishes 3.1%
  10. Pizza 2.8%
As you can see, there is a big decrease between #2 and #3. Peanuts aren't even close and Chicken and Eggs are the major contributors.

For those with inflammatory conditions like arthritis, bursitis and others, reduction in AA can bring relief and slow the destruction of the body.

When describing my inherited bursitis pain, a doctor recommend the Arthritis/Bursitis diet. Being low carb, I was already following most of it, but eliminating the AA foods gave me 99% relief, and 30 years later, it's still gone.
For both arthritis and bursitis, treatment is similar: Try the dietary approach first, and if that doesn't work, take stronger action. Foods that may contribute to chronic inflammation are foods with a high glycemic index (foods that convert to sugar quickly), such as fruit juices, sugars, simple starches, or rice cakes, foods heavy in polyunsaturated or saturated fats, and foods high in arachidonic acid. Some specific foods to avoid are:
  • Fatty cuts of red meat (high in saturated fats) lean is good
  • Organ meats: liver, kidney, and so forth (very high in arachidonic acid)
  • Egg yolks (very high in arachidonic acid)
  • Poultry - chicken, duck, turkey (very high in arachadonic acid)
  • Pasta (high glycemic index)
  • Juices (high glycemic index)
  • Rice, especially rice cakes (high glycemic index)
  • White bread (substitute whole grain breads such as rye)
  • Nightshade Plants bother many people (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, peppers, paprika)
Before the dietary change I couldn't walk 2 blocks without stopping and resting and I couldn't drive without a 'blue ice' pack behind my hip. Now I walk 4 miles a day a few days per week and can drive all day with zero pain.

I said 99%. What's left? If I'm driving about 8 hours, I'll have a dull ache in the right hip. Not enough to be called pain, just enough to remind me of the problem I used to have. The arthritis in my hand from a basketball accident is 100% gone.

I don't know if this diet will help everyone, but it has helped me, my wife, and everyone else I know that have followed it. Of course, a lot of people won't follow it because they would rather live with pain than give up certain foods.

I also think the dietary approach is superior to supplements and drugs that mask the pain while the destruction of the body continues. Not to mention the negative side effects of many prescription drugs - you know the stuff the mumble at the end of the ads or put in the fine print.

I figure if you can eliminate your personal negatives with diet, you are better off than adding things to lessen the pain of those negatives.

I miss chicken and egg yolks, but I certainly don't miss the pain. It's a good trade.

To each their own I guess.

Bob
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-19, 19:54

BF:

Bob, Im unclear on the meaning of this

"Food and Contribution to intake (%)".

Am I understanding correctly you dont eat eggs nor chicken but eat steak?

The article I posted left me confused, as it states we produce aa as part of our cell structure or biochemistry. Makes me want to know more...
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-19, 20:01

BF:

from arthitis.org

Quote:
5. Omega 6 Fatty Acids
Omega 6 fatty acids are an essential fatty acid that the body needs for normal growth and development. The body needs a healthy balance of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids. Excess consumption of omega-6s can trigger the body to produce pro-inflammatory chemicals. These fatty acids are found in oils such corn, safflower, sunflower, grapeseed, soy, peanut, and vegetable; mayonnaise; and many salad dressings.

Im trying to wrap my head around this: why are only some people affected? Or is the effect like glutin/wheat that in reality we are all affected? Or does it aggrivate an underlying oroblem, like a postmemopausal woman who eats sugar gets hotflashes but with HRT hot flashes via sugar are eliminated.....?

Im known to go down the rabbit hole......
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-19, 20:06

BF:

Quote:
Molecular Mechanisms of Drug Actions
Catherine Litalien, Pierre Beaulieu, in Pediatric Critical Care (Fourth Edition), 2011

Arachidonic Acid and Its Metabolites
Arachidonic acid and its metabolites (prostaglandins and leukotrienes) are now considered intracellular messengers.31 Arachidonic acid is a component of membrane phospholipids released either in a one-step process, after phospholipase A2 (PLA2) action, or a two-step process, after phospholipase C and DAG lipase actions. Arachidonic acid is then metabolized by cyclooxygenase (COX) and 5-lipoxygenase, resulting in the synthesis of prostaglandins and leukotrienes, respectively. These intracellular messengers play an important role in the regulation of signal transduction implicated in pain and inflammatory responses. Corticosteroids inhibit PLA2 activity, whereas nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs inhibit COX activity.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topic...rachidonic-acid

this bit makes me think the metabolites agrivate an existing issue......
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-19, 20:10

BF:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6052655/

Quote:
Arachidonic acid: Physiological roles and potential health benefits – A review
Hatem Tallima and Rashika El Ridi

Additional article information

Graphical abstract
An external file that holds a picture, illustration, etc.
Object name is fx1.jpg
Keywords: Arachidonic acid, Ion channels, Schistosomicide, Endotumoricide, Lipoxin A4, Endocannabinoids
Abstract
It is time to shift the arachidonic acid (ARA) paradigm from a harm-generating molecule to its status of polyunsaturated fatty acid essential for normal health. ARA is an integral constituent of biological cell membrane, conferring it with fluidity and flexibility, so necessary for the function of all cells, especially in nervous system, skeletal muscle, and immune system. Arachidonic acid is obtained from food or by desaturation and chain elongation of the plant-rich essential fatty acid, linoleic acid. Free ARA modulates the function of ion channels, several receptors and enzymes, via activation as well as inhibition. That explains its fundamental role in the proper function of the brain and muscles and its protective potential against Schistosoma mansoni and S. haematobium infection and tumor initiation, development, and metastasis. Arachidonic acid in cell membranes undergoes reacylation/deacylation cycles, which keep the concentration of free ARA in cells at a very low level and limit ARA availability to oxidation. Metabolites derived from ARA oxidation do not initiate but contribute to inflammation and most importantly lead to the generation of mediators responsible for resolving inflammation and wound healing. Endocannabinoids are oxidation-independent ARA derivatives, critically important for brain reward signaling, motivational processes, emotion, stress responses, pain, and energy balance. Free ARA and metabolites promote and modulate type 2 immune responses, which are critically important in resistance to parasites and allergens insult, directly via action on eosinophils, basophils, and mast cells and indirectly by binding to specific receptors on innate lymphoid cells. In conclusion, the present review advocates the innumerable ARA roles and considerable importance for normal health.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-19, 20:17

BF:

The title of the papet caught my attention. Perhaps omega 3's have an important role, enough to supplement.

Quote:
BioMed Research International
Volume 2015, Article ID 285135, 8 pages
http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/285135
Review Article

Omega-3 PUFAs Lower the Propensity for Arachidonic Acid Cascade Overreactions
Bill Lands
6100 Westchester Park Drive, Apartment 1219, College Park, MD 20740, USA

Received 22 September 2014; Revised 18 December 2014; Accepted 22 December 2014

Academic Editor: Achille Cittadini

Copyright © 2015 Bill Lands. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Abstract
A productive view of the benefits from omega-3 (n-3) nutrients is that the dietary essential omega-6 (n-6) linoleic acid has a very narrow therapeutic window which is widened by n-3 nutrients. The benefit from moderate physiological actions of the arachidonic acid cascade can easily shift to harm from excessive pathophysiological actions. Recognizing the factors that predispose the cascade to an unwanted overactivity gives a rational approach for arranging beneficial interactions between the n-3 and n-6 essential nutrients that are initial components of the cascade. Much detailed evidence for harmful cascade actions was collected by pharmaceutical companies as they developed drugs to decrease those actions. A remaining challenge is to understand the factors that predispose the cascade toward unwanted outcomes and create the need for therapeutic interventions. Such understanding involves recognizing the similar dynamics for dietary n-3 and n-6 nutrients in forming the immediate precursors of the cascade plus the more vigorous actions of the n-6 precursor, arachidonic acid, in forming potent mediators that amplify unwanted cascade outcomes. Tools have been developed to aid deliberate day-to-day quantitative management of the propensity for cascade overactivity in ways that can decrease the need for drug treatments.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2015/285135/
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-19, 20:47

BF:

Quote:
It should also be noted that for persons with chronic inflammatory disorders, such as rheumatoid arthritis or inflammatory bowel diseases, that the ideal dose of arachidonic acid may actually be a dietary restriction thereof.

source---https://examine.com/supplements/arachidonic-acid/
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-19, 22:01

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Early in my foray into LC, in my zeal to get more O3, I ate eggs that were high in O3 (chickens fed a diet of mostly flaxseed). Headaches, stuffed up sinuses & joint pain ensued. I had never had problems with eggs before, but went on an elimination diet and when I added back regular eggs, I was fine with them. When I tried O3 eggs I got the bad reaction and got it with plain flaxseeds as well … so I avoid both. I also wonder if peoples' reactions to chicken are related to what the birds are fed. In some areas soybeans, other areas corn.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-19, 08:24

BF:

Ms Arielle, I'm not an expert, but I think everybody is affected by AA, it's just more obvious to people with arthritis and other similar conditions.

Yes I eat lean beef which has 2.4% of the amount of AA that chicken has. That is quite a difference. I eat 100% grass fed beef which has a much better omega 6 to omega 3 ratio (less 6 and more 3). I get fats elsewhere to keep myself in keto.

My hip knows the difference. One chicken meal or 4 egg yolks and the pain starts coming back.

If you have arthritis or bursitis pain, try the diet for two months. Most people notice the difference in a couple of weeks to a month. If it doesn't work for you, what have you lost? But you have to follow it strictly.

Bob

Last edited by Bob-a-rama : Fri, Dec-06-19 at 08:33. Reason: Accidentally hit enter before I was done
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-19, 08:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
<...> I also wonder if peoples' reactions to chicken are related to what the birds are fed. In some areas soybeans, other areas corn.

I've heard it was the feed, but it was an unscientific article that the research that I did couldn't verify. But then, I didn't spend a lot of time at it.

Bob
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-19, 11:38

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
The title of the papet caught my attention. Perhaps omega 3's have an important role, enough to supplement.

To my understanding, too much n-6 and too little n-3 can result in some n-6 taking the place of n-3, where it doesn't serve as effectively as n-3 would. The specific details of the metabolic processes themselves I still don't have committed to memory just yet, but the basic idea is to prevent this from happening by increasing n-3 intake and avoiding concentrated sources of n-6, with a view to improving one's overall 3-to-6 ratio.

In practical terms for me, this means getting one plate of salmon each week, plus the tuna in my omelettes, and the inclusion of chia seeds in my smoothies now and then; while at the same time avoiding vegetable oils, cooking instead with EVOO and/or butter.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-19, 12:34

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

That's funny, I could swear that last night I posted a list of the grains in chicken feed.....oh well
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-19, 13:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
That's funny, I could swear that last night I posted a list of the grains in chicken feed.....oh well

Some one else lost a post too. Likely a technical glitch.

That list was probably VERY long, lol.

The manufactuer of my current source of feed lists only vague but legal content. I miss my other supplier, but even he said organic cirn and soy is not an option for a small outfit like his. He mostly provides horse feeds. The BIG companies do sell organic chicken feed.

I DREAM OF producing all the feed for my chickens. Someday.