Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-19, 15:04

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default USDA article - "fatty" meals are inflammatory

https://www.technology.org/2019/09/...ng-fatty-meals/

This article was reprinted in the October issue of The Growers' Guide. Something about it didn't seem right, so I read it several times (I'm a bit slow on the uptake!). Then this sentence jumped out at me:

"The test meal was equivalent to someone having a small hamburger, small fries, and a small ice cream shake with fruit, according to the scientists."

It doesn't look like the "scientists" accounted for the carbs in the bun, fries, ice cream shake, and fruit. Or the article writer (Kim Kaplan, ARS-USDA, according to The Growers' Guide) didn't bother to put that information in the short article. Or perhaps someone has an agenda?

Does anyone know where the actual study was published? And am I correct in thinking that high carb meals are inflammatory?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-19, 16:14

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

My understanding is that you're right, carbs (particularly the highly processed/sugary kind in the test meal) are inflammatory. I've heard a bunch of carbs plus fat in the same meal is bad because carbohydrate raises insulin, which then signals to store both the carb and the fat rather than burn them, so fat just goes straight to storage. Fructose in the sugary stuff goes to the liver to be turned into fat, risking fatty liver. So their refined carb plus fat junk food meal is going to be bad news for health. I predict a high fat without the carbs meal should produce quite a different result based on the experiences of so many people who went low carb and saw their inflammation reduce. Even a high carbohydrate (at least without the excess fructose/sugar) diet without the fat should IMHO be better health-wise than a high carbohydrate plus high fat combo.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-19, 18:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

DANDR addresses this to great extent. Worth finding a used copy. Truely.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-19, 03:42

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
DANDR addresses this to great extent. Worth finding a used copy. Truely.

Yes, the science has only increased since there. Fun read too!

How can you ONLY count the fat and not the carbs? That's not science!

Personally, I put the brakes on my autoimmune condition and my inflammation subsided to the point of remission; with Keto/VLC levels of carbs.

And I'm never going back.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-19, 05:28

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

so we're stuck with 90 percent lean and 85 percent lean until the end of time...