Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-18, 00:51

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 206/182/140 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Hello, I'm Bibi from Texas

I had no idea I was diabetic until I went to my doctor in June and was told that I was a Type II diabetic. I had managed to be pre-diabetic by staying away from fats and most certainly sugar 4 years ago that my doctor told me I was pre-diabetic and for me to eat healthier.

I had no idea Whole wheat was my worst enemy as well as corn tortillas too. The only reason I was pre-diabetic for so long with all the wheat and corn I ate, is that I avoided sugar like the plague until I fell in love with Pineapple and Mango smoothies! I had a smoothie two or three times a week and that did me in.

I started monitoring my blood glucose and figured out that carbs were just as bad if not worse than sugar for me. Eye opener for sure. Started reading and found Keto and Atkins diets as being low carb. That brought me here after ordering alternative flours online and found this wonderful forum after looking up some recipes.

I have been losing weight just by changing my beloved tortillas for lower carb alternatives. My aim was not losing weight but controlling my diabetes. It was a very nice surprise when I found out eating low carb melted down the lbs too. I am over weight, but that never did bother me. I now need to lose the weight for my health though. Need to change the way I eat to enjoy my retirement and my grand kids for a long healthy life!

I am currently 53 and I have wrinkles on my face from losing the weight. How can I avoid getting all these wrinkles on my face? That is the only drawback to this weight loss thing.

My blood sugar is back to pre-diabetic numbers! The wrinkles are making me look my 53 years and then some more. Any suggestions on how to avoid this and maybe even reverse the damage caused?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-18, 03:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome, Bibi
Glad that you found this forum through recipes. As you see, it is huge, and has an active sub-forum for Diabetes. https://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45
There are some excellent threads there on Keto diets that will continue to help you reduce blood glucose and weight. The Atkins forum has a sticky at the top for an Induction plan, many stay within those guidelines until closer to goal. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482

You have listed a Weight Watchers as the book read, which is a low fat, calorie reduced diet. Why We Get Fat is a great introduction to the science of low carb, there are so many new resources on line now too. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
There are a number of diabetes specific books mentioned in that forum, the new Dr Jason Fung ones are good. As for wrinkles, check his work on autophagy. (This one on loose skin got my attention https://www.dietdoctor.com/with-one...nd-lost-200-lbs) And there are a number of old threads on the topic. Follow link to Duke info for tips.
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=476884

All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Dec-12-18 at 03:45.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-18, 12:10

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

You have found the best resource for getting healthy-- this forum!! Loads of support and real information.

Many resources report control of type two diabetes with control of diet and exercise. My Christmas present to myself this year will be a glucose meter. To fine tune my food choices.

IF or intermittent fasting might give you the face lift you are looking for. Lots of information around on that. See Jason Fung for starters. Me personally, I need to work from SAD eating to low carb into ketosis, then to two meals and maybe one to use IF. Some folks can jump right in to fasting, I cannot, so I work up to it.

Your body will adjust. Give it time. You are on a new journey.... and there is a lot to learn.

Welcome!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-18, 00:17

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 206/182/140 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

Thanks for the replies and great suggestions on what to look for. I am so glad I found these forums!