Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-22, 06:59

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Can of diet drink a day linked to 23% greater risk of stroke

Drinking a can of diet soft drink every day could increase the risk of heart disease, according to a study.

French researchers tracked 103,000 adults for nine years to see if there was a link between artificial sweeteners and heart problems. They found that people who consumed food or drink with calorie-free sweeteners every day had a 9 per cent higher risk of heart disease. Those who ate or drank aspartame, used in low-sugar fizzy drinks, were 23 per cent more likely to have a stroke.

The study’s participants consumed average of 43mg of sweeteners a day, the equivalent of one packet of table-top sweetener or 100ml of diet soda.

Artificial sweeteners are calorie-free chemical substances used instead of sugar to sweeten food and drinks. They include sucralose and aspartame, a white odourless powder 200 times sweeter than sugar. Sweeteners had long been seen as relatively harmless and healthy alternative to sugar but the latest research, published in the British Medical Journal, adds to evidence that they damage health and the report’s authors called for people to cut their consumption of diet drinks.

They wrote: “These food additives, consumed daily by millions of people and present in thousands of foods and drinks, should not be considered a healthy and safe alternative to sugar.”

Experts think sweeteners may reduce the body’s ability to tolerate glucose, interfere with levels of hormones such as insulin and reduce the health of the gut microbiome. The chemicals are being re-evaluated by health agencies, including the World Health Organisation, amid concern over their potentially harmful effects.

The study participants, who had an average age of 42, recorded everything they ate and drank over three days. In total, 37 per cent consumed artificial sweeteners from sources including drinks and low-calorie dairy products often presented as “healthy” options. Their health was then monitored over the nine years.

Tracy Parker, senior dietician at the British Heart Foundation, said: “Observational studies like these can only show an association [not cause and effect] and more research is needed to understand the links between artificial sweeteners and the risk of developing heart and circulatory diseases.

“While these findings shouldn’t cause undue concern, it’s always a good idea to look at the amount of sugar and sweeteners in your diet. Try to swap fizzy drinks for water and increase your intake of heart-healthy foods, like lentils, nuts and seeds, as well as fruit, vegetables and wholegrains.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...troke-w53h3psjt
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-22, 07:37

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Tracy Parker, senior dietician at the British Heart Foundation, said: “Observational studies like these can only show an association [not cause and effect] and more research is needed to understand the links between artificial sweeteners and the risk of developing heart and circulatory diseases.

True. They also might want to look a little closer at what they're claiming here:

Quote:
While these findings shouldn’t cause undue concern, it’s always a good idea to look at the amount of sugar (high carbs) and sweeteners (NO carbs) in your diet. Try to swap fizzy drinks for water and increase your intake of heart-healthy foods, like lentils (higher carbs), nuts (some carbs) and seeds (some carbs), as well as fruit (higher carbs), vegetables (some carbs) and wholegrains. (high carbs)”

Yes, I realize the rationale behind calling a food heart healthy is that it is either low fat, has no animal fat/no cholesterol, or contains fiber.

But what else do all of those foods have in common? Some degree of carbs, some of them quite a few carbs.

To me this is quite a stretch, but it does rely on the assumption that fats are the baddy-bad, carbs are helpful, while telling them to be careful about real sugar (pure carbs).

We know that those most likely to use diet drinks are the ones who are struggling to lose weight, and of course weight is another factor in the incidence of strokes.

To me it looks like they're stretching and twisting the logic into a pretzel (also carby) in a desperate attempt to not give up on the whole cholesterol hypothesis.

I suspect that physicians of the late 19th century who were desperately trying hold onto the idea that bloodletting was the best way to cure all ills put that treatment through the same sort of pretzel logic:

"We've been doing this for thousands of years, and it's worked! Ok, so a lot of our patients died anyway, but it wasn't because we were bleeding them - it was because we didn't bleed them often enough. Or didn't start the bleeding early enough in their illness. Or they just had so much bad blood that it was impossible for us to remove enough. We followed well established medical protocols, so our treatment was NOT at fault!"

[ETA: I don't know why every paragraph ends up several lines apart when I post on ALC forums - it doesn't do that anyplace else on the internet. I don't know if I messed up something in settings or what.)

Last edited by Calianna : Thu, Sep-08-22 at 07:45.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-22, 08:44
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
[ETA: I don't know why every paragraph ends up several lines apart when I post on ALC forums - it doesn't do that anyplace else on the internet. I don't know if I messed up something in settings or what.)

The forum software is old and sometimes doesn't work the way it should with newer browsers, especially mobile. If you're using the Advanced Editor feature, try turning it off .. it could be competing with your browser's formatting, resulting in that extra line space.

From your control panel (User CP), select Edit Options on the left. Scroll down to Miscellaneous Options .. in the Message Editor Interface box, select Standard Editor, then Save Changes.

Hopefully that will help

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-22, 12:23

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
The forum software is old and sometimes doesn't work the way it should with newer browsers, especially mobile. If you're using the Advanced Editor feature, try turning it off .. it could be competing with your browser's formatting, resulting in that extra line space.

From your control panel (User CP), select Edit Options on the left. Scroll down to Miscellaneous Options .. in the Message Editor Interface box, select Standard Editor, then Save Changes.

Hopefully that will help

Doreen

Thank you!

I'm posting from a desktop, but firefox does frequent programming updates.

Let's see changing that setting has helped...

ETA: Whoo-hoo! It worked! Thank you again!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-22, 15:07

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
To me it looks like they're stretching and twisting the logic into a pretzel (also carby) in a desperate attempt to not give up on the whole cholesterol hypothesis.

I think that is exactly what it is. And they have so much invested with statins. How can they possibly admit what they might have been doing all this time? They're going to drag it out the same way tobacco did.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-22, 06:57

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Another study:

Quote:
Sweeteners Linked to Heart Disease in New Study of 100,000 Adults

Researchers found that artificial sweetener consumption was linked to a 9% higher risk of heart disease.

And when they looked specifically at each type of illness they found artificial sweetener consumption was linked to an 18% higher risk of cerebrovascular disease - conditions which affect the blood flow to the brain.

A specific type of sweetener - aspartame - was associated with a 17% increased risk of cerebrovascular events, while acesulfame potassium and sucralose were associated with increased coronary heart disease risk.

"In this large-scale, prospective cohort of French adults, artificial sweeteners (especially aspartame, acesulfame potassium and sucralose) were associated with increased risk of cardiovascular, cerebrovascular and coronary heart diseases," the authors wrote.

"The results suggest that artificial sweeteners might represent a modifiable risk factor for cardiovascular disease prevention.

"The findings indicate that these food additives, consumed daily by millions of people and present in thousands of foods and beverages, should not be considered a healthy and safe alternative to sugar, in line with the current position of several health agencies."
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...se-in-new-study

This was 'correlation not causation' as usual, but it sounds as if they did try to exclude other behavior as risk factors.

https://www.bmj.com/content/378/bmj-2022-071204

I've tried to avoid these for many years. Aspartame in particular after reading a book on excitoxins and the brain. And I observed that my once daily Diet Coke habit actually made me more depressed. Which you'd think would make it easier to quit, wouldn't you? No. It was extremely difficult but I think I've kicked it for good now as it's been a while.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-22, 12:20

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I became wary of aspartame when I read the phenylalanine warning on the packages. Granted, it was for people whose brains can't process it as much as as usual, but it's also a LOT of the substance when it's used in a piece of chewing gum.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-22, 13:32

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I suppose they think drinking TAB all day is what caused Karen Carpenter's heart to fail. People drink diet soda for a reason, so it is important to look at everything they consume, don't consume, or barf up.

Once we were on vacation and my SIL had brought two types of icecream - one real and the other artificially sweetened (for herself). My 7-yr old nephew wanted the flavour that contained AS, not the real vanilla, so she gave him one scoop. He went from being himself, the sweetest little boy ever, to 35 minutes later being grumpy, screaming and stabbing the sofa with a ball point pen with nothing to trigger such a reaction other than the fake sugar.

I do occasionally have a diet coke, but limit myself to one serving of aspartame a day.