Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 17:40
Registered Member

Plan: PPLP/Schwarzbein
Stats: 183/152/140 Female 5 foot 4 1/2
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default I think i stalled, but it's my own darn fault...

I havent been exercising and i think i'm eating too many nuts. I've actually gained a few lbs.

Is there something about our physiology that makes the body keep extra weight in the coldest part of the winter? Maybe that's part of it too. It's been brutally cold here.

Anyways, i'm going to start exercising again. And i'm going to be more vigilant in counting my carb intake -- especially those dratted sunflower seeds and peanuts.

Oh and my first weight came off so easily, even with the occasional carbo-binges and not exercising. Maybe this is just reality setting in?

Last edited by Aster : Sat, Feb-01-03 at 17:42.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 10:06
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Hi Aster!

Your weight loss history and recent patterns sound a lot like mine... we even have similar stats!

There's a couple of things that could be going on...and it sounds as if you've already identified them! Good job!

For one, if you're eating at the same calorie level that you always have, it may be time to examine that. You've lost weight and maybe it's time to reduce your calories accordingly, too. Either that, or increase your activity!

It's natural for us to slow down during the winter... the weather is harsh and depressing, and we don't have as many daylight hours. Our opportunities to exercise seem to be fewer and less inviting. You add all the holidays on top of that, and it's easy to see how our weight loss might easily slow down. And I agree, it seems quite plausible that our bodies just naturally want to hang on to that extra insulation during the winter...when in prehistoric times food would naturally be less plentiful.

If you suffer with feelings of depression and lethargy during the winter, you might look into the topic ofSeasonal Affective Disorder .

The other thing, too, is that the closer you get to your goal weight, the more slowly the weight will come off. And this really is a good thing....good for your metabolism and ability to keep the weight off for the long-term.

So you're on the right track.... try to watch those high-calorie snacks a little more closely and increase your exercise. You'll be fine!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 14:36
Registered Member

Plan: PPLP/Schwarzbein
Stats: 183/152/140 Female 5 foot 4 1/2
BF:
Progress: 72%

Wow, that list of symptoms on the SAD link is pretty descriptive
Quote:
Symptoms
depression with a fall or winter onset
lack of energy
decreased interest in work or significant activities
increased appetite with weight gain
carbohydrate cravings
increased sleep, excessive daytime sleepiness
social withdrawal
afternoon slumps with decreased energy and concentration
slow, sluggish, lethargic movement

I've been sleeping 12 hrs/night, definitely craving carbs, totally no energy, slow, sluggish lethargic movement....just like a slug.

I guess it's time to do some light banking and make sure i get outside everyday. We've got lots of snow out there that i can exercise with.

Thanks for the feedback terri! I appreciate it.

I can see a lot of veggie snacks in my future too.