Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 19:43
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default need SUGAR help please!

Hiya All;
I have been searching ardently,the forums...and scanned back through DANDR...but without much success...

I am looking for something I read, regarding the different "names" for the sugars used in foods...and especially, the hidden ones.

I know to avoid the "ose" ending names such as dextrose etc...
What are the names of the others?

also: What is CELLULOSE"? On my vitamins bottle, it states under "other ingredients"...Cellulose...as the first ingredient. Is this a SUGAR???

I have been questioning my level of ketosis the past two days and so am "searching" out possible hidden enemies

Need to go shopping for more "variety" of foods...and want to take time to examine labels...so need to know more "names" of sugars etc to avoid.

Thanks for the help!
Best wishes to all;
Jake

Last edited by mammoth : Sat, Jun-07-03 at 19:44.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 19:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Hiya Mammoth...

Check out the link to your right "The truth about low carb sweeteners" That will help with some of the names.

L
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 19:53
Registered Member

BF:

Whyspers you sweetheart...THATS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
I knew I read that somewhere and just could NOT for the life of me remember where....was making me NUTS!!!!!!

I have been "flighty" since starting induction back on may 21st...but in a "delightful" way

Thanks Kiddo:
Best to you and the family!
Jake
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 20:16
Registered Member

Stats: 178/147/130 Female 157.5cm (5'2")
BF:
Progress: 65%

Cellulose is a plant polymer/fibre that is indigestible to the human body. Cellulose is made of repeat units of glucose, but you can't digest it in this form . it is called a polysaccharide, because it is made from sugar monomers, however it can't be thought of the same as other sugars
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 20:36

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Re: need SUGAR help please!

Quote:
Originally posted by mammoth

I have been questioning my level of ketosis the past two days and so am "searching" out possible hidden enemies

I hope I am not out of ketosis. I used to have that sweet taste in my mouth ,but it's gone now. Does that mean I have to do induction again? Around Monday, I started venturing past the 20 carbs , to around 25 . I also added peanut butter, macadamia nuts,and berries... And I haven't lost anything. I keep going between 181.2 and 182. So, I will give it a week and if it doesn't change, I will too have to take something out of my diet. I think I am just at the point just past induction where everyone slows down a bit. Cindy
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 21:24
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Cindy:
I am still on STRICT induction...have not added anything in...no nuts, no strawberry, no shakes or bars...nothing but same whole foods as on induction.

I have noticed that I do not feel "as much in ketosis" as I did several days ago...but could just be in my "mind".

This is why I am searching to see if I 'missed" a hidden sugar. I stick to the whole meats....no processed....and all whole foods (so far).

Check what you are eating , vitamins etc also...and look for hidden sugars. This is what I am double-checking right now.
Best wishes;
Jake

Last edited by mammoth : Sat, Jun-07-03 at 21:28.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 21:58

Plan: General
Stats: 200/200/170 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 0%

If its of any consolation, I never had ketone breath, ketone sweat or none of the "ketone" feelings. No withdrawal symptons, and maybe a day of feeling hyper. Everything seems pretty leveled out. And I've lost 8 pounds, so I'm pretty sure I'm in ketosis. And I'm not using the testing strips, and don't intend too as long as I am losing weight.

My hidden carb problem was Maltodextrin, which was in the sugar free Metamucil I was taking. Now I have powdered psyllium husks to go with my wheat bran, so it's all good. Turns out my induction levels were really ~28gm of carbs instead, but hey, it all worked out=)
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 22:09
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks YM:
I will add maltodextrin to my search list!
Greatly appreciated!
Best to all;
searchin-Jake
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 22:51

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hi Mammoth Man , here is an article I found about sweeteners. From Nurticise:
All About Sugar
Whether you like it raw or refined, here's where your favorite sugar comes from.

(Nutricise) — Sugar is everywhere. It's in our chocolate bars, cereals, milk, beets and nectarines in one form or the other. But is one type of sugar better than another? Apparently not.

"Sugar is sugar is sugar," says Anne Dubner, R.D., a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. "Whether you get sugar from fruit or from the table, your body handles it the same way.”

Although Dubner says that all sugars have about 16 calories and four grams of carbohydrates per teaspoon, sugars are taken from a variety of places. Here's your guide to where the most common sugars come from.

Raw. Raw sugar, which is light tan in color, comes from processing sugar cane. It is a coarse, granulated solid sugar that's left over when sugar cane juice evaporates. The calorie and carbohydrate content is the same as table sugar, which has 15 calories per teaspoon.

Refined sugar. Also known as table sugar or sucrose, this common sugar is found in the stalks of sugar cane – or from the beet root of a sugar beet – in the form of a sugar-rich juice, which is extracted and then processed into dried sugar crystals.

Fruit sugar. Also known as fructose, fruit sugars are found naturally in all fruits, but they're also added to foods in the form of high fructose corn syrup. Fructose is 1 1/2 times sweeter than table sugar, and one teaspoon contains 12 calories.

Brown sugar. This sugar is merely sugar crystals flavored with molasses. Nutritionally, it has 16 calories per teaspoon.
Honey. Honey is formed from nectar by bees. Although it has a few more calories (21 per teaspoon) than table sugar, it tastes sweeter so you tend to use less of it. "Although you're not saving calories by eating honey, you are getting more flavor," Dubner says.

Milk sugar. Milk sugar—called lactose—is found naturally in milk and has about 15 calories per teaspoon.

Sugar alcohols. Don't let the name fool you. Sugar alcohols don't contain ethynol, which is found in alcohol, so they won't get you drunk. Common names for sugar alcohols include sorbitol, mannitol and xylitol and they can be found in a lot of sugar-free candies, cookies, chewing gum, jams and jellies. "They add sweetness and texture and help foods stay moist," says Dubner. "Even though they're a sugar, it's still legal to call the product sugar-free because these sugars require very little or no insulin to be metabolized." In other words, your body doesn't use these calories like most sugars – they just pass through your system. The downside of this is that if you eat too many of them, they can have a laxative effect.

Annie-Pie
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 23:05
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi Jake. I read this today in Viv's journal. She got this information somewhere on this forum. It's interesting.

"Splenda is bulked with Maltodextrin and in some cases Dextrose.

Maltodextrin is a sugar (derived from either corn or rice) with a glyecmic index of 105 .

Dextrose is the food name for Glucose (pure blood sugar)...it is a sugar with a glycemic index of 100.

Sucralose (the sweetener itself) won't raise blood sugar levels...but the bulking agents which are 90 something percent of the contents of a Splenda packet (by weight) will rise blood sugar.

Each Splenda packet contains almost a gram of sugar.

Splenda powder, both the bulk type in the box, and the little packets/sachets contains maltodextrin, which is a carbohydrate and must be counted. Splenda contains sugar.

Sugar alcohols are maltitol, lactitol, sorbitol, manitol, just about anything on a sweetened LC item that ends in -ol. These are sugars that have been altered so that they aren't recognized by your body.

They taste great and are a great way to have something sweet in OWL, but they cause digestive problems in lots of people so be careful. Also lots of people find they aren't as "low carb" as they claim to be.

In some people sugar alcohols do act almost like regular carbs and stall weight loss and/or cause cravings.

Peace
red
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 23:54
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: // Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Cindy,

Don't forget about...

The Carbohydrate Ladder

As you move from one level to another, add carbohydrate foods back into your diet in the order that follows. Your ability to add all the food groups back depends upon your degree of metabolic resistance. For example, someone with high metabolic resistance would probably not be able to add legumes back during Ongoing Weight Loss (OWL), while someone who is young and works out regularly might well be able to do so. Few people can add back all these foods during OWL. Adhering to this order tends to minimize blood-sugar surges that could reactivate cravings:

1. more salad and other vegetables on the acceptable foods list
2. fresh cheeses (as well as more aged cheese)
3. seeds and nuts
4. berries
5. wine and other spirits low in carbs
6. legumes
7. fruits other than berries and melons
8. starchy vegetables
9. whole grains

My understanding is that one should add these back one at a time and not in combinations. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

ljm
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 09:35

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

Thank you,LJM, I know. I only added back the first three, but I did it all at once . I couldn't help myself... I forgot I also added cottage cheese. I skipped the first one, more veggies. and went right for the cheese ,nuts and berries. lol . If I don't lose any weight I will take some out and start over, with the more veggies...Cindy
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 10:00

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

FYI-Cellulose is the major component of wood!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 10:18

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Sugars:

-Sugar-
Florida Crystals
Maltodextrin
Dextrose
Glucose
Sucrose
Galactose
Mannitose
Sorbose
Maltose
Fructose
Xylose
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Corn Syrup
Fruit Juice Concentrate
Honey
Molasses
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 10:27
Registered Member

Stats: 225/215/130
BF:
Progress: 11%

Thanks, All, for the great sugar conversation! I thought a knew a lot about it. HAH!! I just learned a great deal.