Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-18, 04:59

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...81213142153.htm
THis neanderthal skull looks much like the binding seen in ..... ancient Egyptians, as I recall.

A separate article/ documentary looked at the inclusion of neanderthal genes in the current modern human; we all have a few of the original genes, and when many people looked at together as a resource, the entire genome still exists.

Yes, we have components in our DNA from several early humans depending on one's ancestry including Neanderthal, Denisovans and about 25% from yet to be identified ancient human species. We are a friendly breed. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming . . .
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-18, 04:14

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The Metabolic Health Summit, previously in Tampa, will be in Long Beach CA , Jan 31, 2019. Speaker line up the best yet.

https://metabolichealthsummit.com

They have added the videos from last year's summit here too.
  #168   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-18, 06:12

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I am more convinced all the time that we mess with our metabolism at our peril.

It would seem that inadequate nutrition, insulin resistance, and chronically high blood sugar all combine to create the greatest proportion of our chronic illnesses.

Which, if true, means the medical science approach to treatment could be highly improved by understanding this relationship.
  #169   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-18, 08:44

Dr. Mercola wrote a blog post summarizing the Attia/Seyfried podcast teaser posted in #151, highlighting what he thought the important take-aways.
If you (read me ) are still struggling with this one, this article plus Dr Attia's show notes are most helpful.
  #170   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-19, 06:22

A new Dr. Colin Champ presentation, given at the Ohio State Metabolic conference in the fall, posted today on the Virta website:

Dr. Colin Champ on Dietary Recommendations for Cancer and the Warburg Metabolism

https://blog.virtahealth.com/dr-col...cancer-warburg/

Quote:
Virta co-founders Dr. Stephen Phinney and Dr. Jeff Volek partnered with The Ohio State University’s Food Innovation Center to create a conference that gathered scientists and researchers to discuss the science of low carbohydrate nutrition. The conference was hosted by the OSU Food Innovation Center and the video recordings were sponsored by Virta Health. OSU and Virta have decided to make these videos free and available to the public.

Dr. Colin Champ is a board-certified radiation oncologist and assistant professor at the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute and University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. He is a researcher specializing in diet, nutrition, and cancer. He has an undergraduate degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a medical degree from Thomas Jefferson University, and he completed his residency at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital.

Dr. Champ has been invited to TheIHMC lecture series 3 or 4 times now. Here is his latest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm8RSDpv_Jg

Recommend Dr. Champ's newsletter if you have an interest in Cancer. http://colinchamp.com
  #171   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-19, 08:08

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

This kind of thing is so exciting! I remember when I'd mention "Warburg" and get blank looks.

Many German scientists suffered loss of reputation for their research because of WWII. Likewise, their groundbreaking stuff on human hormones.

We are all still suffering from that.
  #172   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-19, 09:56

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

In addition, the knowledge of effective and entrenched weight loss protocols established by German physicians, among others, were abandoned around the time of WWII and never revisited after the influences of people like Ancel Keys swinging his wooden sword at the evils of fat in the fight against heart disease.
  #173   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-19, 10:40

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I first heard that fat was bad on the TV news during the 70s. I remember it was blasted and I was confused as the Home Economic teacher was teaching us how to make gravy with bacon drippings. But that was the beginning of my confusion.
  #174   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-19, 11:38

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Just saw a post by "blocked by Pete Evans" on facebook claiming that some research looking at blocking glutamine metabolism as a way to fight cancer. The fellow seems to think that this argues against targeting glucose against cancer. Too bad nobody on "our" side is aware of the role of glutamine, here. Then everybody there piled on the paleo diet for containing meat, which contains glutamine... a problem with that idea is that human beings contain quite a bit of meat, whether they eat it or not. In this case, it does take a drug. Dietary glutamine doesn't even generally make it past the gut, anyways. Rapidly proliferating tissue loves glutamine, even when, as in the case of the gut line, the proliferation is actually desireable.

At risk of explaining my "joke," in case people sort of new to this stuff read this--Thomas Seyfried and other major front men championing targeting glucose are well aware of glutamine as a source of energy for cancer growth. So now what I said is hilarious, right?
  #175   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-19, 04:59

Teaser, your post is very clever...or maybe I have listened to one too many interviews with Dr Seyfried? All about glutamine and finding a drug to block it. The Mercola article gets into it, since the Attia interview spent some time on the glutamine issue. https://articles.mercola.com/sites/...al-disease.aspx

The Long Beach Metabolic Health conference starts today. Watching the videos later have the advantage to be able to stop and rewind the hard parts...that would be most talks for me!

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jan-31-19 at 05:09.
  #176   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-19, 06:02

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Even I, a scientific ignoramus, knows that Seyfried talks about figuring out a way to block glutamine.
  #177   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-19, 06:51

For millennials, cancers fueled by obesity are on rise, study says. This is scary. How can Cancer researchers continue to focus on the genetic theories, when correlations like this would point, at the very least, to the diets that are causing the obesity epidemic?

Reported in many news outlets, UK and US.

CNN:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/04/heal...tudy/index.html

Time:
Some Cancers Are Rising in Young People. Scientists Think They Know Why
http://time.com/5517858/cancer-rates-obesity/

BBC News:
Cancer rates rising in the young obese ( subscription )

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Feb-04-19 at 07:13.
  #178   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-19, 12:23

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

They see the association between the cancers and obesity, but do they see the cause of the obesity? The hyperinsulemia, insulin resistance, metabolic disorder? The negative effects of a high load of highly processed quickly digested sugars, starches, products/drinks high in fructose, etc? I hope people struggling with these problems and obesity will be given better help than to just be told to eat less and move more, since that doesn't really work too well if at all.
  #179   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-19, 18:25

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

WOuld this be the right thread to ask about prostrate cancer ? Have we covered that topic somewhere??

If this isnt the place for this, Im fine with postings in the thread I started " Keto and Cancer" .

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=481201
  #180   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-19, 03:53

This forum is good for posts that are new studies, research or media articles. The one in General Health forum seems a good thread to continue.