Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-18, 12:06

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%
Default Betrayed by Bouillon

Yesterday, I was thirsty in a way only diet soda would cure.

So I had some bouillon instead.

This morning, I still wanted (diet) soda, AND it's cold. (I live in FL, which means I avoid running the heater even when it's 35, because I know it won't last.) So I had some more bouillon. And then another, a while later.

Wandering into the kitchen to fix my 3rd or 4th of the day (I've lost count) I idly looked at the ingredients.

The first is salt. The next THREE were variations on sugar.

(Sugar, corn syrup, and then some kind of modified corn product, I don't even remember.)

Dangit, bouillon is supposed to be safe.... a way to replenish salts. (That's what the soda craving was about.)

So now I'm annoyed. This was Winn Dixie store brand that one of us had apparently picked up a while back... It's only coming out to 1g/cube, but there's no excuse for it being there at all.

Looks like I'm going to be going back and taking my magnifying glass to read labels!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-18, 12:14

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Getting bouillon with the correct ingredients is a challenge. Always read the ingredients whether you find it in your pantry or on a store shelf. Amazing how many things have sugar because it just tastes better, and you'll drink much more of it. Seems like a food marketing strategy, eh?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-18, 12:19

That it does.

I KNOW this bouillon pre-dates my recommitment to LC. I honestly can't think when/why it was purchased, but was clearly bought casually.

I'm just so disgusted right now I could spit.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-18, 13:19

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Totally understand your frustration!!!!! THere should not be sugar in anything IMHO. Unfortunately it is hidden everywhere as we all know.... yet we still fall into a pit here and there. At least the damage is not as bad as a soda , so good for you to make a better choice!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-18, 13:46

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

re: bouillon - i can't get past the msg.

#6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-18, 16:01

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I tried one brand which was vegetarian because it had no MSG or sugar and it turned out tasting like green grass, it was pretty bad....
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-18, 19:33
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

That little bit won't hurt. There is even sugar (glycogen) in liver, but I enjoy it anyway for the nutrition. Bouillon, a cup or two, SPAM, soy sauce or even a few BBQ pork skins help me get enough salt without licking a cattle block
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-18, 05:13

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Progress, not perfection. I view boullion as better than diet soda, so still a win.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-18, 07:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

If you shop at Walmart, there's a Sam's Choice organic beef or chicken bone broth. They come in the quart-sized long shelf life cartons along with other soups and broths like College Inn or Swanson. I keep a couple of those on hand. They're a much healthier choice than bouillon. I used to buy the Herb Ox cubes in the blue container, least gross ingredients of all of them but still gross to me.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-18, 08:14

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I understand that many people don't want to go this route but I simply make my own bone broth. I've been doing it for years. That way I know exactly what the ingredients are.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-18, 08:17

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712
If you shop at Walmart, there's a Sam's Choice organic beef or chicken bone broth.
contains yeast extract - aka msg.

Foods that Contain Yeast Extract

https://i.imgur.com/QjcFiSM.png?1
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-18, 08:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Hmm, just can't win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-18, 15:11

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I understand that many people don't want to go this route but I simply make my own bone broth. I've been doing it for years. That way I know exactly what the ingredients are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712
Hmm, just can't win.

Making your own is a win!

Easy ... I save all bones from my cooked meals in a large zip lock in the freezer. When the bag is full I dump it in my pressure cooker with misc. herbs, garlic, salt, peppercorns, various vegetable clippings that I may have saved as well (like the trimmings from asparagus, carrot stubs, cauliflower leaves etc), sometimes onion, whole ginger or tumeric and a couple dashes of vinegar. Really, whatever you have, but works just as well with only the bones. When you have a mix of poultry, pork and beef bones, the broth comes out a rich golden colour with a great all purpose flavour.
Cook for 3-4 hours. Strain and pour in ice cube trays. Freeze and bag.

My small dogs each get a cube a day as a supplement to their prey model raw diets, and I can pull out as much as I want for drinking, or flavouring soups or gravies.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-18, 15:19

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

And homemade broth is essentially free, made from bones & food scraps. I use my slow-cooker for 8-24 hrs.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-18, 19:59

Home-made bone broth (at least in MY house) is promptly made into soup and frozen. (Well, what's not eaten immediately is frozen.)

Did a google-search for "Sugar-free chicken bouillon", and found some ("Simple Girl") that comes in basically a salt-shaker, and has around 5 ingredients. (Sea salt, garlic powder, spices, onion powder, stevia leaf extract.) I ordered some. (Yes, I could probably mix something like that up myself, but I'm being lazy.)

For me, there's a world of difference between bone-broth and hot bouillon... one is a meal, one is a quick hot drink. Emphasis on quick.

Plus my family would divorce me if I didn't make soup from bone-broth. My son, especially, would call the UN over human rights violations. ("Yes... my mom boiled out a carcass and didn't make SOUP!!" "We'll have Child Protective Services right out there...")