Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-21, 10:54

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%
Default Cornstarch replacement

Lately, for reasons I'm not clear on, I've become obsessed with pudding/custard.

I have stevia, cream, eggs, vanilla....

Most recipes I find also call for cornstarch. Obviously, I'm not adding that! But, it occurred to me: Coconut flour (and I have a ton of that on hand) will also soak up liquid well...

So, in my recipe, I tried replacing the tsp of cornstarch with a tsp of coconut flour. It turned out yummy, thick, creamy, and extremely filling.

A few days later, I made basically the same recipe without the flour... It turned out much more runny (though that could be because I didn't let it cool as much.)

So this got me thinking... has anyone experimented with using coconut flour in other things (Thanksgiving gravy, for example) that traditionally call for flour/cornstarch as a thickening agent?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-21, 19:13

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

ROFL 🤣 oh this is my problem, too. Only I cave because I cannot find a low carb option !!!

Chia seeds soaked in water is a distant second. Using Crystal lite powder gives the sweet and a berry or fruit flavor.

Chia seeds soaked in water and added to coconut milk is also a distant second. Add AS, and vanilla extract. In my family we ate tapioca in pudding with almond and vanilla extract, so I like almond added to the chia pudding.

Just not the same as cherry pie filling, apple pie filling or banana pudding.

Hoping someone has an answer for low carb.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-21, 04:53

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

In my experience, coconut flour will attract water like a dry sponge. Share your recipe?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-21, 07:39

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25

1 cup heavy cream. (I've been cutting it with half & half, because I have some in the house to make cocoa for my daughter)
3 egg yolks (one recipe I tried called for a single... didn't turn out as good, but I also didn't remember the coconut flour that time)
1 tps coconut flour
Sweetener (I use pure stevia powder) equiv to 1/4 c sugar (or less, if you've lowered your need)
1 tsp vanilla

* heat cream on stove. (You want it to simmer -- have little bubbles on the edge, but not full boil)
* Separate eggs. (I put the extra whites in my morning coffee, so they're not wasted)
* Beat egg yolks, coconut flour, and sweetener

* Use a gravy-ladel or spoon to pour a little of the hot cream into the eggs, and beat. Do this a few times... It's called "tempering" the eggs, & gets them hot without scrambling them.

* Pour egg mixture into cream mixture on stove. Stir, constantly, for 2-3 minutes. It's done when it coats your rubber spatula (or spoon) but doesn't drip.

* Take off stove. Stir in the vanilla. (Vanilla will "burn off" and you'll lose most of the flavor if you add it on the stove. Always stir vanilla into hot dishes at the last moment.)

* Pour into a bowl.

All the instructions tell you to then place cling-wrap in contact with the pudding (so it doesn't form skin) and chill, but... I've been eating it pretty much straight from the stove.

No matter how hungry I am, I'm 100% full and satiated after this... for the rest of the day. And it feels so "sinfully" good while I'm eating it.

Takes about 10 min, total, and 3 dirty dishes. (Pot, egg-yolks bowl, and bowl I eat from). So really, no reason not to indulge.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-21, 08:46

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

OMG, this sounds so good! Thanks.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-21, 10:20

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:

Thanks for the recipe. I personally am not fond of pudding, but DH is. He isn’t LC so it shouldn’t be a problem, but I don’t (won’t) buy cornstarch, and have not yet found the proper amount of arrowroot needed. I’ll give the coconut flour a try.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-21, 08:53
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Egg yolks. You need to make a cooked custard. Just about any cooked custard or ganache will work for LC, just substitute for the sugar. I used to make lemon curd all the time. The egg yolks are what thicken it.