Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-01, 17:28

Plan:
Stats: 198/188/172
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks for the warm welcome

I'm not sure if I'm on the Atkins, Protein Power, Sugar Buster or what. I've simply cut way way down on sugars, starches...you know...carbs. I lost the first 8 lbs. in about 2 weeks. I guess that's normal for most diets. The weight doesn't seem to be coming off much now but I've been working out pretty regurlary again and I suspect I've increased a bit of muscle mass. I found Carb Solution bars at Target that contain only 2 grams of carbs, 22 grams of protein, cost only $167 ea. and are very tasty. What is your opinion on these?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-01, 17:32
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Re: Thanks for the warm welcome

Quote:
Originally posted by TJensen441
[B]I'm not sure if I'm on the Atkins, Protein Power, Sugar Buster or what. I've simply cut way way down on sugars, starches...you know...carbs.

I highly recommend burrowing on the books, to insure you do things right, there are lots of important little details.

I really admire your attitude in accepting the slow-down after 2 weeks, this is very common, and muscles definitly add weight, but lose inches!

Quote:
Target that contain only 2 grams of carbs, 22 grams of protein, cost only $167 ea. and are very tasty. What is your opinion on these?

If they don't stall your loss, go for it. I hope you meant $1.67, not $167.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-01, 23:30

Plan:
Stats: 198/188/172
BF:
Progress:
Default nope $1.67

Well they were when I bought them last week. They now cost $2 ea, or a box of 6 for $10. Pretty tasty (:
Could be very useful to a lot of folks sanity. You should pass the word along unless that's a conflict of interest.
How much are the Atkins bars and what's the content?
TJ
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-01, 00:03
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default hi TJ

I don't use the lowcarb bars myself, but reading posts from other members seems that the Carb Solutions bars are popular, and the flavours enjoyed. Now, the Atkins bars, on the other hand, don't get a very good rating taste-wise, and are more expensive to boot. I don't know what is used to sweeten the Carb sol'ns bars, but Atkins contains glycerine, which they don't declare as a carb on the label, but does act as a carb in the body, and can stop ketosis and stall weight loss for some people.

Many lowcarbers enjoy the bars, they are convenient when you need to grab something fast ... but they are notorious stallers, all brands. If you're losing weight & inches steadily, then no problemo..... but if you find yourself getting stalled out down the road, you might want to nix the bars for a while, then add them back only occasionally when the weight loss picks up again.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-01, 12:16
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome to the forum TJ!

I'll answer the question you sent me on Atkins bars here, to keep the "flow" going.

On the LC spectrum, there are many types of people. At one extreme end, there are the carbohydrate addicts. On the other end, there are people who eat carbohydrates out of habit. Their habit is physical. Once they've broken out of carb eating, they have no mental longing for them.

If you are the first type, you will never break the addiction if you keep on returning to sweets. Sweets can lead to the real thing, especially in the early stages of LC. Some people are comfortable using low carb substitutes. Some are not. It takes time to find this out.

So many people in this and other forums complain that they had great weight loss at first, then nothing. When what they eat is examined, many of them eat low-carb substitutes for high carb foods. Carbs bars, and other substitutes can be stallers, as Doreen so eloquently pointed out.

I love eating real food, and have spent my whole time on LC training myself how to eat proplerly. After two years of LC, I know what I can and can't do within low-carbing and still operate at my optimum. And, I still upon occasion, walk that fine, low-carb line.

Karen