Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 23:59

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 198/185/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 25%

I made it in a 5 inch square Pyrex casserole dish and it made 4 thin slices of almost regular sized bread.
I've found that I like this bread better toasted. With butter. And garlic.
Or as part of a BLT. Being a sandwich fiend as I am, I gotta have one every now and then, and this bread totally works.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-07, 10:33

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%
Default tried this recipe for the 1st time

Not bad. I made it in a souffle dish since I didn't have one of those disposable plastic thingies available. It came out round and easy to remove.

I sliced it lengthwise with a serrated knife into three slices, but the third slice had a hole in the middle. So I toasted it and put on cream cheese on my "bagel".

Well, folks, it's still not bread, its eggy, but it's a helluva lot less messy and much quicker to make than Diet Revolution Rolls (pulling out the mixer, whipping egg whites, etc.), and it satisfies my tummy. I'll try the rest of it in open-faced sandwiches with something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
I make a microwaved bread from flax

1 ounce of melted butter
2 medium eggs
4 tablespoons of flax
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder.

Mix together and put in the microwave and nuke for 3 minutes.

I havent tried the bake mixes so dont know how like real bread they are but I find this makes a fairly closetextured bread that tastes to me like wholemeal bread.

On another board a member suggested you could add parmesan and some herbs to make a savoury loaf but I havent tried it yet.

Totally induction legal for Atkins

About 570 cals for the whole recipe - I get 8 slices out of it
Other info - whole recipe has
Total fat 48 gms
Carbs 18gms (including 15 gms fibre) - so only 3 net carbs
Protein 20 gms
  #138   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-07, 20:38

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

I tried the rest of the recipe another way, and it was much improved: a slice of "bread", toasted, spread with dijon mustard, mayo, and a good handful of shredded cheese, then broiled, served with sliced tomato. Awesome.
  #139   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-07, 05:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/140/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I noticed a lot of people said it was eggy so I decided to try a variation and it worked...use one egg. It comes out a little smaller with less egg taste.
  #140   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-07, 05:49

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 127/127/114 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnMyWay
I tried the rest of the recipe another way, and it was much improved: a slice of "bread", toasted, spread with dijon mustard, mayo, and a good handful of shredded cheese, then broiled, served with sliced tomato. Awesome.

sounds terrific!
  #141   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-07, 23:08
Registered Member

Stats: 154.4/150.6/130 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I was doubtful about this recipe but I tried it and found that I really like it.
It is so quick and easy to do.
I have it with my breakfast- a slice of quiche, and a slice of flax bread with cream cheese. Yum!
  #142   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-07, 10:05

Stats: 184/140/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I can't do without this bread. It is so yummy and nutritious!!
  #143   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-07, 07:57
Registered Member

Stats: 154.4/150.6/130 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBelfiore
I can't do without this bread. It is so yummy and nutritious!!

I like the yummy, the nutritious however is such a seller for me. As generally yummy and nutritious do not go together in this case they do.
  #144   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-07, 11:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBelfiore
I noticed a lot of people said it was eggy so I decided to try a variation and it worked...use one egg. It comes out a little smaller with less egg taste.

I like it like this. Definitely less eggy, more grainy. I also reduced my cooking time from 3 minutes to 2 when making it this way.
A piece of this bread topped with some avocado and a slice of cheese, popped into the mic. for a few seconds to melt.....Delish.
  #145   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-07, 07:25

Stats: 220/217/130 Female 62 ins
BF:
Progress: 3%

I'd like to add a word of thanks for this recipe, I've made it several times now and it works really well. I bake it in a rectangular glass butter dish and it comes out perfectly. When I'm grinding my flax seeds, I add a tbsp each of sunflower and pumpkin seeds just before the end and it gives the bread a really nice flavour, plus they're good for us. I know they change the carb count but I cut back elsewhere to make up for it. I like this bread toasted best and even made cinnamon toast with butter, and a sprinkling of both cinnamon and Splenda. It was very good and helped dispel those "I'm feeling hard done by" devils on my shoulder! Thanks again for sharing with us, I'll be staying on track and you get the applause!
  #146   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-07, 08:08

Stats: 222/210.8/160 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 18%

I keep trying to figure out the "bread" part of this. I have made it and have a "pancake." Of course, that is because of the glass pie plate I use to nuke it. I cannot get to the bread part, mainly because of the cooking container, I guess. How silly am I?

Are you making anything that is "loaf like" - or are you making single slices?

Thanks for your help .......
  #147   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-07, 09:32

Stats: 220/217/130 Female 62 ins
BF:
Progress: 3%

Mine turns out like a miniature loaf of bread and I get about 8 little slices. I don't think it will turn out for you using a plate, it's quite a loose mixture and it needs a container with sides. My butter dish is about 6 inches long by 3 inches wide and stands about 2.5 inches high and the bread rises to the top of it. It really is worth the effort to find a more suitable baking dish, one of the most frustrating things for me on Atkins is being allowed to eat butter but having nothing to put it on!!! This bread is the solution! Good luck with it.
  #148   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-07, 09:42

Stats: 222/210.8/160 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmaree
Mine turns out like a miniature loaf of bread and I get about 8 little slices. I don't think it will turn out for you using a plate, it's quite a loose mixture and it needs a container with sides. My butter dish is about 6 inches long by 3 inches wide and stands about 2.5 inches high and the bread rises to the top of it. It really is worth the effort to find a more suitable baking dish, one of the most frustrating things for me on Atkins is being allowed to eat butter but having nothing to put it on!!! This bread is the solution! Good luck with it.

OK - I get it ............ I have a couple things that would work .........it is amazing how one can get stuck on such a basic concept ......THANKS!
  #149   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-07, 09:53

Plan: General LC
Stats: 00/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I make mine in a square microwave safe bowl I got at Target, and it makes two perfect slices like real sandwich bread. Great for the flax pizza too.
  #150   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-07, 11:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannadanc
I keep trying to figure out the "bread" part of this. I have made it and have a "pancake." Of course, that is because of the glass pie plate I use to nuke it. I cannot get to the bread part, mainly because of the cooking container, I guess.

Try it even in a regular cereal bowl. If you use one egg instead of two it comes out to be 2 thin slices. If you use 2 eggs, you should be able to get 3-4 really thin ones.