Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-01, 20:29

Plan:
Stats: 190/190/190
BF:
Progress:

I just read a couple questions people had about coffe and caffeine. What's the deal. Everything I've read in any fitness magazine says that caffeine, especially before exercise, helps mobilize fat molecules and aid in weight loss. Fat burners even contain the ingredien ephedra, aspirin, and caffeine. Can someone help me out with this one.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-01, 20:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Brian,

I've heard 2 answers for this: 1) The old Atkins book listed it as a bad choice. 2) Some people can get stalled if they're too sensitive to it.

I'm an espresso freak, 4 shots in a sitting, and it never bothered me.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-01, 11:32
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Brian

Dr. Atkins, in the New Diet Revolution, cautions against caffeine because it has been shown to stimulate the release of insulin. For those of us with a lot of body fat to lose, and/or who have insulin resistance (eg. PCOS, type2 diabetes, Syndrome X) or who are metabolically resistant to ketogenesis, this could be a problem. It is very much a YMMV thing.

It's sometimes suggested, as Wa'il pointed out, if folks hit a stall after having lost a bit of weight, or they find they are no longer in ketosis.... that caffeine MAY be the culprit. Often, the problem isn't the caffeine per se, but the carb content ........ when trying to fine-tune ketosis Induction, and limiting the carb-intake to only 20 grams a day, a few cups of coffee can add up. According to Corrine Netzer's "Food Counts" book, one small 6-oz. cup has 0.8 carbs. Many of us use a 10 oz. mug. Add the carbs for the cream and any packets of sweetener ..... 3 mugs of java can rack up 5 or more carb grams before you know it!

Generally, most folks who really enjoy caffeine and the energy boost it gives.... will continue to do so with minimal adverse effect on the weight and fat loss effort. As well, having a caffeinated, lowcarb beverage can help stave off cravings for a major carb-fest. Flip-side, some folks report the caffeine TRIGGERS cravings. Every body is different.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To answer another question you posted earlier, about fitness, muscle-building and cutting carbs, I found a series of articles written by Lyle McDonald on the subject at http://musclemonthly.com/articles/0...d-body-talk.htm Lyle is the author of "the Ketogenic Diet", and I have a feeling you will likely find the answer to this and other questions there. Good luck ..

Keep us posted on your success
Doreen