Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 11:32
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%
Unhappy Ugh! The hangovers!!!

Hi my 'beiner buddies:

Each time I eat sugar, the hangovers seem to get worse and worse. I can't seem to crawl out of this sugar hell I'm in. How do you guys deal with the sugar hangovers without eating sugar to make them go away? I've tried green tea, didn't work. I've tried large amounts of coffee, didn't work. I've tried fruit, didn't work. What's left to self-medicate me through this? Cigarettes? Alcohol? Drugs?

Why do I avoid alcohol b/c of the hangovers yet make an exception for sugar?

Anyway, can someone tell me a sure cure for sugar hangovers so I can get off this insane sugar train? Normally, I isolate myself for a day and live through it, but I don't have that luxury this time around.

Wanda (trying to break on through to the other side...)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 12:05
Registered Member

Plan: shwarzbein II
Stats: 174/???/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

hEY WANDA,

I'm so SORRY you are going through this --- I KNOW how you feel.... As you know, I just went through a MAJOR sugar hangover this past weekend. I guess all you can do it wait it out ---- it SUCKS..... Saturday night was my sugar blow-out, Sunday I paid dearly for it, by Monday I was feeling a little better still pretty tired. I was using coffee and green tea to get through it -- also I had a small amount of semi-sweet chocolate on Sunday night and Monday night. Not too much, but just enough to help fight off the withdrawel.
Maybe you could try that -- or get some dark choc. like Dr. S reccomends.
Isn't this sugar train the WORST, just when you think you are getting better and healing -- the wrath of sugar comes with a vengeance.
Take it slow (if you can) and be EXTRA kind to yourself. Sometimes we can do MORE damage MENTALLY than the sugar can do physically....

I hope this helps -- KEEP POSTING FOR SUPPORT -- that always helps too ;-)

Remember, you are CLOSER THAN YOU THINK girly.....
good luck -- sending prayers.......
Cristin
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 12:17
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 177/173/160
BF:
Progress: 24%

Wanda,

How long do your "sugar hangovers" generally last? Do you get them from any amount of sugar, or just if you really binge? I've been feeling awful lately, and wonder if that could be it. I want to think I haven't been having enough sugar often enough to mess me up this badly. (Headaches, anxiety, exhaustion, confusion, hopelessness, extreme irritability -- fortunately for everyone, three of my four kids have day camp this week.)

I started Schwarzbein primarily in the hope that it would help eliminate these kinds of "lows." This kind of insanity is definitely not what I was going for.

Beth
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 12:44
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Cristin:

LOL, I'm coming out of the closet (aka my journal) on this, huh?

Quote:
Maybe you could try that -- or get some dark choc. like Dr. S reccomends.

That was unsweetened chocolate, right? Kinda makes me shudder at the thought but maybe it might work. Problem is that I have company so it's not like I can toss out all the illegal treats and isolate myself alone in the house till I detox. I'm trying to function in the midst of all this and it ain't working. Unless I can find an alternative, I'll be self-medicating daily until the end of July.

Has anyone heard of any drug (I know, I know ) that would take the edge off and get me through the morning after? Yes, as you can see, these are the ramblings of a completely addicted, desperate woman. I promise my sanity will return..... Remember, this is not me talking.....

Hi Beth, you posted as I was typing this. My hangovers last at least one day, usually by mid-morning I'm really struggling with low blood sugars. The effects are probably proportional to the amount of sugar, but my gears seem only to be lots of sugar or no sugar. The sugar addict in me doesn't know the term "moderation". However, I seem to handle tiny amounts of honey OK (ie. in bread). I also get hangovers from too much fat, especially nuts. What's changed for you lately? Have you been having small amounts of sugar with these effects?

It seems the more I don't eat sugar, the worse my hangovers get now. You should see what happens when I drink alcohol!

Wanda
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 13:01
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 177/173/160
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
It seems the more I don't eat sugar, the worse my hangovers get now.

This is what I'm afraid of. I'd rather keep a moderate amount of sugar in my diet so my body stays accustomed to it than fall apart completely every time I have a moderate treat.

Last edited by Beth_N : Thu, Jul-17-03 at 13:02.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 13:02
Registered Member

BF:

Wanda,
we are both "coming out" so to speak....haha

Beth, I know exactly how YOU are feeling too.....
I've been edgy, hopeless, tired, down, feeling like I'll never get this weight off......ugh....

Wanda I'm also like you in regard to either having absolutely NO sugar to an all out binge. Moderation is a word that rarely enters my life.....
I hate having this "all or nothing" type attitude. For instance, last night I was eating some buttered popcorn as my carb and instead of stopping when I was satisfied (like a normal person) I continued to finish the bowl -- and then proceeded to make some MORE and finish that too.........
I suppose Dr. S is right about our feedback mechanisms being ALL SCREWED UP.....
This whole self-medicating thing kind of messes with your psyche a little too........ you crave the sugar or carb and then you get it in your mind that having it is OK because self-medicating is allowed..... but then you (or me) takes it a step farther..... one little square of chocolate turns into 2 squares and then 3............
(wanda, I'm also the same way with NUTS)
This is truly a BATTLE -- or more like a WAR......
I believe that if we keep plugging away -- following the plan, monitering ourselves daily with journaling etc... we will finally beat this darn sugar demon......
right now we don't have too much perspective because we are deep down in the trenches so to speak, but we will get there -- we just have to keep believing and trying...........

Listen to me -- haha I should really take my own advice sometimes.....LOL>..
anyway -- all this sugar talk is giving me ideas..... ahhhh.......

Stay positive and we'll get through this my sugar sisters.....

Wanda, try the dark choc. and see if that helps
ps. I used semi-sweet - but try the unsweetened -- that may work better.......

good luck
cristin
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 13:32
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Wanda, are you still taking your tryptophan? Wouldn't anything that would increase seratonin production or inhibit reuptake help with the cycle? What about 5 HTP? Look through her book again and see what supplements she recommends. What about a very mild antidepressant for short term use? Hang in there. You'll be OK.

Liz
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 13:33
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Wanda

This idea is so stupid it just might work - since your'e also drinking coffee during this time of stress - how about putting 1 tsp of sugar in the coffee - it might be enough to take the edge of the sugar hangover until you can get some real food to absorb it all. If you can get your sugar fix with a small amount of pure sugar rather than having it mixed with flour, fat and whatever else might be in the baked goods. Or maybe a few hard candies to suck on. It's probably less sugar than other things and less calories and not as many other bad things mixed in.???? Does that sound sensible - I'm kinda stabbing in the dark here, I love sugar but fortunately don't seem to be addicted. But you sound so helpless I'm hurting for you
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 13:41

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

I'm still swearing by the SAMe. I feel like it does help me to where I CAN make the right choices (although sometimes I just REFUSE to listen).

I'm having company, yet AGAIN, this weekend and next. Our friend, the birthday boy, is coming to our house to celebrate - SUPER!

I'm like y'all. All or NOTHING. And haven't been too successful at nothing except during Atkins Induction (where I'm messing up OTHER stuff - like adrenals!).

I swear WAndy, you are speaking my heart. I am thinking, POT, how 'bout POT? I can drink a tea of it! Eat it! Anything!!!!!! HELP!!!! I need HELP!!!!

Jinx

PS DO NOT GET "UNSWEETENED" OR "SEMISWEET" get youself some QUALITY BELGIAN dark CHOCOLATE at the HFS. They know how to do it. Don't even get Ghiardelli - NOT RIGHT.

Last edited by MsJinx : Thu, Jul-17-03 at 13:49.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 13:47

I say we form a posse, head to CA and beat down DR. Diana's damn door!!!!! (Down Dr. Diana's Damn Door - say THAT 3x fast!)

I could "self medicate" until the freaking cows come home! I stop one thing and two others bite me on the butt!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 13:52
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJinx

I swear WAndy, you are speaking my heart. I am thinking, POT, how 'bout POT? I can drink a tea of it! Eat it! Anything!!!!!! HELP!!!! I need HELP!!!!

No Jinxy not POT - then you really get the munchies - Like I would know
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 13:54
Mad Scientist

BF:

Quote:
This whole self-medicating thing kind of messes with your psyche a little too........ you crave the sugar or carb and then you get it in your mind that having it is OK because self-medicating is allowed.....

Christin, you are sooo right. I have to find a substitute for sugar cravings in the future. This is like telling an alcoholic to self-medicate with alcohol.

Lizzy, I'm taking my tryptophan and taking a high enough dosage. I'm taking all the supps except for SAMe (banned in Canada) and St. John's Wart.

Do antidepressants cure sugar cravings and help with sugar hangovers? I don't know much about them. I'll try anything right now.

Koko, you're so sweet. I started my morning with a banana hoping the sugar would help my hangover. When that didn't help, I moved onto coffee. Then to coffee with sugar. Then to coffee with sugar with 2 chocolate croissants. The rest is history. I have to stop this insanity. This is day 3 with no end in site.

Yes, I know we'll all laugh about this crazy woman who possessed Wanda's body. Haha, maybe it's a crazy woman who found Wanda's forum password and is actually impersonating Wanda. Wanda will log on and say "who's that person who was posting as me?"

Wanda, or is it?????
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 14:07
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hey Jinxy & Koko, we were all posting at the same time.

Quote:
I say we form a posse, head to CA and beat down DR. Diana's damn door!!!!! (Down Dr. Diana's Damn Door - say THAT 3x fast!)

OK, the road trips changed. Instead of to Canada, we're goin' down to Cali! Some kind of medication is starting to look good right now. Hey, since I'm goin' to totally burn out my adrenals, why not just pop some diet pills while I'm at it? I'm a little heavy on the sarcasm right now.... in fact, when I go through detox I'm sure I'll be really embarrassed by all of this.

Bad Wandybeiner!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 14:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcollier
I'm taking all the supps except for SAMe (banned in Canada) and St. John's Wart.

GEEZ, I CANNOT BELIEVE IT!!! I mean, I do, of course, believe it but...

I guess SJW would be your next best bet for "drain plugging" - sounds kinda kinky, I know!

Well Shonda, I guess we really do need to take a road trip to smuggle Wandy some SAMe. And here I thought I was only joking...

Jinx

How 'bout Nicorette?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 14:16
Registered Member

BF:

Wanda,

you are too funny..........
and the funniest part about it is that I'm on the SAME wavelength.... haha
I may try some SAMe -- sounds like a good idea...

My therapist suggested I go on celexa or lexapro -- I'm just not sure I want to go chemical just yet.... although, It just may help.....

Hang in there Wanda -- we are all behind you....
cristin
ps. I agree self-medicating is like giving and alcholic permission to have a shot of vodka every now and then.....
sometimes I think cold-turkey is a better way to go despite the side-effects...........
ahhh........ we'll get there..........