Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-14, 17:51

Plan: atkins-ish
Stats: 398/391/299 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default How many lbs til people start to notice?

So, I started out at 367lbs at 5'10. I've been on track with eating and exercise a GOOD 85-90% since October and I've lost close to 60lbs (last weigh in has me at 56 but I've lost more since then) and ONE person has said something...and that was about a month ago. I've gone from a size 26/28 jeans to now I'm about a 22 or a 20. REALLY??? LOL

Of course I know all the psychobabble stuff that I have to do it for myself and for my health and blah blah blah. I KNOW all of that. And I BELIEVE all of that...but dammitt!! I want somebody to NOTICE! HAHAHHA!!! I don't care who it is.

Anyway, my fellow TDCs how many pounds did you have to lose before people started to notice on a consistent basis??? Please add your starting weight as well.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-14, 18:29

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

When I first started in 2002, I dropped exactly 50 pounds, from 270 to 220 before anybody commented. The day I hit 220 the floodgates opened though. Dunno why.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-14, 20:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Some people started noticing at about 50-60 pounds, but MOST didn't really say anything until abut 80. Honestly, I'm uncomfortable with the attention and would be just as happy if they didn't mention!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-14, 20:47

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I'm usually hesitant to comment on someone's loss of weight. If I say "you look great" the implication is that maybe you didn't look so good before? I usually wait till the person drops a hint that they've lost and then compliment them - that's a clear indication that they WANT a comment. Like 2thinchix I'm not always comfortable with the attention and assume others may feel the same (thanks 2thinchix for confirming that feeling for me).

Thinking about it more objectively, I think we usually notice based on what percentage of weight someone has lost - somewhere in the 10-15% range? And some people hide that excess weight better than others so the loss may not be as obvious.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-14, 20:56

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/249/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

I think it has something to do with the social issues around being fat -- a lot of people out there just treat large people as invisible (or if they don't, as something to make fun of). Sort of...I dunno...unpleasant things to make a point of avoiding looking at too much? So they perhaps don't notice the person shrinking because to them, fat is fat is fat and there's little difference TO THEM between, say, 290 and 270 or whatever. (I'm just guessing here based on my own intuition over the years.)

I definitely have to echo what was said earlier -- no one really noticed until I hit around 220 well after 40 pounds had already come off. Go figure.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-14, 21:54

BF:

Wow...you all have made some REALLY good points that I'd never thought of!! Particularly in regards to people not saying anything because of the negative feelings towards being fat in the first place. That makes SOOOO much sense.

I've also heard from other people that there is a 'Point' you hit where everyone will notice--- Sounds just like your situation KDH!!

Well, I guess I'll just keep waiting. Hopefully by SEVENTY pounds I'll get some love!!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-14, 23:04

BF:

Oh, that reminds me of what happened a couple of days ago! A woman I see every few months asked my 15 year old daughter if I was doing something to lose weight. Later she told me "I noticed, but you know..you're hesitant to mention because what if the person was sick or something?" I wouldn't have thought of that before, but I guess a sudden diagnosis ofdiabetes or something could cause rapid weight loss that wouldn't be something to celebrate!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-14, 06:24

Stats: 264/158/125 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

The first time, I was around 200 when people started commenting.
This round, I was down about 40 before a few close friends said anything. I still get the occassional "What size are you down to now?" question.
I've lost 47 pounds since I started my job in late August, and 1 person has commented on my weight. And that was to tell me I needed to stop losing before my face caved in. lol But she's stopped saying that the last 2 months or so.
I prefer that people don't make comments on my weight!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-14, 07:20

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

I started mid September and I've just passed the 40 pound mark, and it's just now that people are saying anything.

I'm down enough that I'm wearing different clothes (nicer ones, frankly, as I was at this size for years when working & so I have a big wardrobe at this size). And my face is noticeably thinner.

In one week I've had a good friend, my mother in law, and 2 teachers at my kids' school say something. Before that? Nada.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-14, 07:41

Stats: 210/154/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thinchix
Oh, that reminds me of what happened a couple of days ago! A woman I see every few months asked my 15 year old daughter if I was doing something to lose weight. Later she told me "I noticed, but you know..you're hesitant to mention because what if the person was sick or something?" I wouldn't have thought of that before, but I guess a sudden diagnosis ofdiabetes or something could cause rapid weight loss that wouldn't be something to celebrate!

I'm not a TDC'er but had to chime in on this. It took about 40 pounds for people to say anything. But the funny thing was that the women would always say something like "you look great!" The few men who commented tended toward "You're looking thin. Is everything ok?" Funny to me that the men jumped first to a problem of some sort.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-14, 08:23

Plan: LC with CO
Stats: 479.6/475/299 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 3%

I never thought of Fat Fear. That's a good point. I've lost a 100 lbs and NO ONE comments on it! NO ONE!!! Not even when I talk about it! I don't know why. I wonder if it's because I lost before and then gained it all back? What I hear most often, several times a week, is that my skin looks good. I'll say thank you, and they'll ask what I'm doing. I say, oh it's just makeup. But deep inside I want to say because I'm less FAT!!!!!! Sometimes I bring up losing weight, but I rarely receive the response I'm looking for.

I've brought this subject up before and was told by other people on this forum that it's a good sign that people aren't commenting on our size (or shrinking size) because that means they see us for who we are and not what we look like. Awww...it's that sweet?
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-14, 11:41

BF:

And I don't mind when people say "You're looking great!" But I'm always taken aback when they say "how much weight have you lost?" Seriously - you want the number??? I find that embarassing and there are two female coworkers who ask that ALL the time - and in front of other people. I've finally started telling them that I don't know because I don't actually weigh msyelf, which is totally a lie.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-14, 14:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thinchix
But I'm always taken aback when they say "how much weight have you lost?" Seriously - you want the number??? I find that embarassing and there are two female coworkers who ask that ALL the time - and in front of other people. I've finally started telling them that I don't know because I don't actually weigh msyelf, which is totally a lie.

There is something that truly BUGS me about those ladies at your work but I can't put my finger on it. I think maybe because it's so DISRESPECTFUL...but it's more than that. It's like disrespectful but they don't care that it's disrespectful...like it's ok, because "you are a fat person" and you don't have real feelings. I mean why should YOU care or deserve respect and privacy? And that's not to say TOO much about them as people, but more about US AS A SOCIETY and how we disregard fat people.

I was thinking this morning as I was driving to work how most comments here are from people who WANT to be invisible...people saying "I don't want the extra attention". Fat people and our society have that relationship. People don't see us and we are happy not to be seen. Well, we BECOME happy to not be seen. We get used to it. It hurts us but not as much as the shame and embarrassment of being publicly ostracized.

Ok, I'm going to stop there cuz i feel a rant coming on!!!!! HAHAHHAHA

HOWEVER! I want to be seen!!!!! I want to be FABULOUS and LIVE MY LIFE OUT LOUD!!!! I'm 45 yrs old and I don't have much time left here!! HAHHAHA. I'm ready to DO THIS!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-14, 14:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJess
I never thought of Fat Fear. That's a good point. I've lost a 100 lbs and NO ONE comments on it! NO ONE!!! Not even when I talk about it! I don't know why. I wonder if it's because I lost before and then gained it all back? What I hear most often, several times a week, is that my skin looks good. I'll say thank you, and they'll ask what I'm doing. I say, oh it's just makeup. But deep inside I want to say because I'm less FAT!!!!!! Sometimes I bring up losing weight, but I rarely receive the response I'm looking for.

YEP!!!!!!!! I'm right there with you!!! How Tall are you Jess??? Maybe it has something to do with how we carry our weight???

Quote:
I've brought this subject up before and was told by other people on this forum that it's a good sign that people aren't commenting on our size (or shrinking size) because that means they see us for who we are and not what we look like. Awww...it's that sweet?

HHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! Ummmmmmm...yeah...ok. I think a bunch of BUTTERFLIES and RAINBOWS just flew outta my butt on that one.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-14, 14:30

Plan: LC with CO
Stats: 479.6/475/299 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 3%

I'm 5'8" but you would think I'm 6'6" the way people go on about my height. That's weird too. I'm sure you get that too being 5'10". I have on heels today - you may as well call the Lakers with the amount of 'tall' comments I get.

Starchile - we just carry ourselves well. There's just something about a tall/big girl being able to command attention at any size.
I've noticed your weightloss. Your pics are dramatic! Maybe you should go to work in your sports bra & yoga pants. I'm sure you'll get noticed then!