Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 14:42

Plan: Atkins + Protein Power
Stats: 232/192/180
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Eureka - no more constipation!

Not sure if this has come up before (couldn't find it), but like many I guess I suffered somewhat from constipation when starting the diet.

Despite drinking gallons of water and trying other things, I still suffered. I'm convinced that the principle cause is the IRON in the multi-vitamins/minerals I started taking at the same time as starting the diet. This is notorious (in my family at least) for causing the blockage!

Everything has returned to normal now I've found a multi-vit without iron (in Boots).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 15:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 360/339/140 Female 5'3
BF:60%/60%/22%
Progress: 10%
Lightbulb

I don't know if this is any good to you - but i had the same problem, i found that eating nuts helped. A pre-packed bag of 100g of brazil nuts is only 3g - better than a pack of crisps! its very binding and filling - also a cheap snack
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 01:37

Plan: Carbwiser
Stats: 290.8/247/203 Male 6ft
BF:Plenty
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally posted by juicyjacki
A pre-packed bag of 100g of brazil nuts is only 3g - better than a pack of crisps!

Hi Jacki

Don't mean to be picky but Brazil nuts are 3g per 50g not 100g. Asda do a 200g bag for 97p (in the fruit/veg section, don't buy from the baking section as they are more expensive)

Keep smiling
Ken

Last edited by Ken : Thu, Nov-22-01 at 01:49.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 06:02

Plan: Carbwiser
Stats: 290.8/247/203 Male 6ft
BF:Plenty
Progress: 50%

Hi Matt

Sorry I didn't answer your question before, if you are still suffering from constipation try looking here (low carb tips on orange bar at top of page).
http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips012.html

Hope this helps.

Keep smiling
Ken
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 14:32

Thanks Ken - This is another one of the many pitfalls we face as low-carbers, trusting that labelling is correct! I have a 100 gram bag of brazils that reads 'average values per 100g are 3.1g carbs (of which sugars 2.4g). These are a pack from the Asda cooking section. A problem we face is who do we believe and how can we trust that these are accurate?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-01, 18:24

Plan: atkins, paleo, vlc
Stats: 186/186/154 Female 60inches
BF:o/m/g
Progress: 0%
Default boots multi-vit

I think I need this too. Was it an own-brand? Could you tell me the name?
After all, I assume we all now get enough iron from all the meat. I know I didn't when I was on traditional low-fat diets
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-01, 18:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Default as we say out here in Colonial Canada....

Labels Lie, eh?

Truly, there's a lot of variation and method in labelling. For instance, maybe "they" left out the fibre gram count on that ASDA label...?

Labelling varies between N.America and Europe as well, over here it's generally Total Carbohydrates (inc fibre) AND Fiber Per "some" Serving Size, rounded in grams, on the label if one is lucky. It's the way the regulations are structured. The European labels I have seen (including UK) on imported products shows (digestible) carbohydrate and fiber and usually per 100g (which at least gives you a percentage) and not per serving size...

Either way, we the eaters must do the math and trust no one!

You have a very handy tool to verify any suspect label, at your disposal right above on the orange tool bar... the Loc Carb Tools page has a Carbohydrate Counter on it, with 4-6000 food products as listed in the governmental (US) Agriculture database.

Here are the results for brazil nuts (per 100g), N.American style:
Total Carbohydrates 12.80 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.40 g <---------therefore net 7.4g per 100g
Total Protein 14.34 g
Total Calories 656.00
Total Fat 66.22 g

Hope this helps!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-01, 06:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Cool How interesting Judi

Thanks Judi - that is really interesting.

I think I will go for the highest reading on carbs for Brazil Nuts {yours: 12.8 (7.4 without fibre)} per 100 g. We all know Food Labels are to be taken with a big pinch of salt.

I must admit nuts form most of my "nibbles" during the day and I have been on a stall/plateau for a few weeks now.

Take care.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-01, 14:59

Plan: Atkins + Protein Power
Stats: 232/192/180
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hi ezandreth - the multi vit brand in Boots was "Multiman Formula" by Nutricia - dark blue packaging. I rang the manufacturer to confirm there is no Iron in it. I'm pretty sure I'm getting enough iron from leafy greens / red meats etc.

NB Can't see anything especially "male" about it! Would also recommend the other tips pointed about by Ken, too.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-01, 15:13

Stats: 188/178/120
BF:
Progress: 15%

I've found that one (two if it's bad) fizzy soluble 1g vitamin C per day really help in the bathroom department
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 09:39

Plan: Atkins 14 day
Stats: 189/186/164 Female 5ft 11inches
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Pharmasist Visit

Hi all,

I visited my pharmasist today and unabashed explained my problem and he sold me good old Senakot. Which is herbal and gentle - I hope!!!!

Janice
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 17:15

Smile

i have found 2 good solutions to my constipation:

1) 1 or 2 chargrilled chicken breast ~ 0 grams, 150grams of greens ~ 2.50 grams (around half a dinner plate, i bought mine from asda pre-packed in 300 gram bags for 97p), then 100g of Fresh boiled brussel sprouts ~5 grams. Yes i know its sprouts, but tust me, they works!

The whole meal is between 7-8 carbs and stuffs you so much you can not move ...... except to go the the loo about 2 hours later!

2) Yoga

I did the Geri halliwell yoga (yes i know she is a bit of a flake, but i thought i would give it a go as it made a easier form of excersise for me at my weight). Within an hour i was in the loo. In the video the instructor said that it was a good way to ease constipation.
I do recommend Yoga to anyone who has never tried it and shyed away because they thought it was all to do with burning incesnse and praying to the moon. I found it very enjoyable!

Hope this might help someone
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 17:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 128/114/114
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi
One of the most pleasant cures for this problem I have found is Boots sugar free chocolate. It contains maltitol which is a polyol and it warns on the wrapper that you can only eat so much before you get a laxative effect. I eat this several times a week and as it is fairly low glycemic it is nice for a treat and keeps you regular! They do white, hazelnut, plain and milk chocolate and it tastes the same as ordinary chocolate without the sugar. I am on maintenance now so I eat a bit more of it. But it has never affected my weight loss, in fact I sometimes think it helps. This is only my experience though and YMMV. You could try the small 45g bar and see how it affects you. They also do toffees as well which are sweetened with polyols. Thorntons also do a scrummy diabetic milk choc bar (75g I think) I use diabetic choc for my favourite dessert which is whipped cream in the bottom of a bowl, covered with a few strawberries - I then melt the chocolate in the microwave and pour it over the strawbs - eat while choc still warm - mmm delicious. Thorntons also do diabetic toffee but again be careful how much you eat and see how it affects you!
Cocoabear
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 17:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 167/154/140
BF:
Progress: 48%

Any idea on the carb contents of these chocolate bars? I quite like the idea of them
shaz
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 10:41
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins - Aug 04
Stats: 204/204/133 Female 5ft 4inc
BF:
Progress: 0%

Cocoabear, have you got an update on the carb value in the choc bars please? me & Shaz are waiting to go shopping

Thanks

Emma