Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-17-10, 14:24

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 167/150/137 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Default Atkins, Dukan, Clark....? Any advice please

Hi All

New here, but no stranger to low carb diets.

Years ago I lost about a stone on Atkins, in a very short time. A long time later, (and nothing to do with Atkins) I was very ill with a viral heart infection, which left me with a left bundle branch block (LBBB) Although I am 'heart healthy' at the moment at 48, I have to be extremely careful to avoid heart disease, as blocked arteries and LBBB do not make for a long life! I live in Scotland, and have a very typical Scottish colesterol count of 5.6. I also carry weight typically around my lower half, and quite a small top half (especially my face, which can look quite gaunt.) Recently after stopping smoking, I put on about two stone.

I understand the 'mechanics' of a low carb regime, and how eating protein switches on the bodys internal mechanism to burn body fat. I remember how on Atkins, the fat just melted away - but not on my face!! Yipee.

Because of the dangers of too much 'bad' fat in my diet, I want to eat a low carb, low fat plan, and was very interested to read about the Dukan Diet, which also incorporates the use of Oatbran, which naturally lowers colesterol. You are also allowed unlimited non fruit yogurts. I was on the Attack phase (unlimited protein, 1.5 tablespoons oatbran, 0% fat dairy, 1.5lrts water) and lost 7lbs in four days. I then continued on the Cruise phase, (pure protein alternated with protein veg days and all of the attack foods.)

No counting of calories, carbs or fat units.

I have continued to lose weight (about 2lb every couple of days or so) but I find the diet very limited and am getting bored, which spells disaster for me long term...no alcohol etc. I understand that I still have two other phases to get to ('Stabilisation', where you add back in bread, pasta, fruit cheese etc, and 'Consolidation', where you eat normally but protein only on a Thursday) but I have been reading the The New High Protein diet by Dr Clark and I wonder if I should change.

Although the diets seem similar, Dr Clark counts carbs (no more than 40g daily) and
allows alcohol,
no yogurt or milk...
allows cream and cheese.

I like the fact that I have a carb count to stick to, as I felt a bit 'adrift' in Dukan...although the body fat was coming off...and how! Yes, I am losing weight, but more importantly I can see that body fat again is melting. I want to stick to this plan, but I would love to think I could have a glass of wine and as Dr Clark says, because I am in ketosis, the calories are not deposited as fat. Dr Dukan never even mentions alcohol in his book....

Sorry to be so long winded...would love to chat to any like minded people.

cheers

PS....very confused how two similar low carb diets can be so different...with forbidden foods being positively welcomed on the other....oatbran, yogurt milk, alcohol, cheese etc

Last edited by Lesley998 : Fri, Dec-17-10 at 14:48.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-18-10, 06:15

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hi Lesley

Welcome to our corner of the board

I know nothing of the Dukan diet at all and have followed Atkins for the last 7 years or so, but from what I have seen on lowcarb support forums going lowfat as well as lowcarb means you must be going high protein, which can be counterproductive to weight loss.

AS for the 'bad fat' avoidance, well I do that on Atkins as I only eat animal fats and oils which have not been hydrogenated.
The 'bad fats' to avoid are the transfats, not natural fats like butter and olive oil!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-18-10, 07:01

Plan: my own
Stats: 224.8/207/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

i tried dukan made it through the attack phase with 11 lbs loss but when i moved into the next phase i stalled completely and got bored with food choices. i than moved onto my own style. it has been working ever since. remember this isnt a diet it's for life and if you don't like that plan move find something you can live with forever. best of luck to you.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-11, 14:32

BF:
Progress:

Hello again ladies...thanks for the welcome, and the replies.

Have not been here for a few weeks....fell specularly off the wagon over Christmas and have now regained quite a bit of weight.

However - onward an upwards, and am starting afresh tomorrow, continuing to low carb. I think the advice to tailor it to what suits me is great. I am going to eat pure protein for the next five days to kick start things, then introduce veg.

Happy low carbin all
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-11, 18:01
Paleo and proud!

Plan: Paleo / Primal
Stats: 210/175.6/168 Female 70 inches
BF:40%/34.4%/30%
Progress: 82%

Hello and welcome!

One thing that you have said has raised alarm bells for me:

Quote:
Because of the dangers of too much 'bad' fat in my diet, I want to eat a low carb, low fat plan...

Eating a low fat and low carb diet implies that you would be eating a high protein diet in order to feel satisfied from your food intake. The problem with this is that too much protein can be quite bad for you, potentially putting a lot of stress on your kidneys.

Your body needs energy, and the idea behind low carb eating is that because you are reducing one source of energy, you need to increase the other source of energy, ie fats.

Contrary to common belief, saturated fat is your friend while you stick to this way of eating. As Elizellen said, butter, animal fats, olive oil, coconut oil are all good sources of good fats.

I realise that this comment comes a couple of weeks late, but I cannot stress enough how important it is to have a source of energy, and going 100% protein will not be good for you.

Try to get a copy of Protein Power by the Drs Eades and The Diet Delusion by Gary Taubes. There are many threads here and on the internet that will explain what kinds of proportions are recommended for health.

Good luck, and I hope to see you on here again soon!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-11, 05:11

BF:
Progress:

Thank you Oblong...I will go off an do some research so I am better informed about fats.

Thank you for your kind welcome.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-01-11, 08:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 290/278/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hello I'm new to the diet and to the board.I wondered if anyone could shed some light on two questions Ive been trying to get answered.
I have just come off two weeks diet at Lighter Life (60g or so a day of carbs and same of protein , given in shake form and all foods restricted other than those sachets and the usual 8 drinks min.The diet is calorie controlled to around a very low 500 to 600 cals per day. I lost a stone in the last two weeks. Ive now come off and started Atkins four days ago. I have put 1lb on in that time although following the induction programme to the letter. So does anyone know why this is, what's going on and what should I do to lose in future whilst staying on the induction.
Secondly does it matter how many calories one consumes on the Atkins if even one may take more than 2000 cals per day. If so how many should I be aiming to have in any given week.
Many thanks for any light you can shed on this.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-01-11, 08:49
Paleo and proud!

Plan: Paleo / Primal
Stats: 210/175.6/168 Female 70 inches
BF:40%/34.4%/30%
Progress: 82%

Hello Astotfold

5-600 calories per day is not enough to support you so your body is desperately trying to hold on to any and all nutrition that comes its way in case you decide to continue to starve yourself. At 5'7" and 278lbs you should probably be eating a minimum of around 2800 calories per day. Go here to figure it out for yourself.

My advice is just to stick with this way of eating. Your weight may go up, but then once your body realises you're not starving yourself anymore, it will go along with it and you will start to lose weight.

Read the Atkins book from cover to cover. Understand the science. Read as much as you can about not only Atkins, but other low carb ways of eating. I follow a Paleo/Primal woe because it makes the most sense to me. Here is a link to get you started with a paleo style woe if you're interested. Here is a link to a Primal website.

Good luck on your journey to health and happiness.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-13-11, 05:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 290/278/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default and the wait/weight goes on...

Hiya,
many thanks for response, made sense to me and went away and read the new you from cover to cover.
However and disappointingly, I've still not lost a gram!
I'm doing the induction programme daily and to the letter and have even given in to counting calories also to make sure i'm less than the 1500 to 1800 cals.
I've now been two weeks on the Atkins with no loss.
Should I be getting worried?
I'm certainty getting fed up and I'm beginning to wish I stayed on lighter life!
Any insight into what is going on and to what I should do would be very much appreciated.