Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 15:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/185/148 Female 5'10"
BF:36%/31%/23%
Progress: 26%
Question Do you have advice, warnings or success with FAT FAST?

Hi,

My weightloss is very slow but, happily moving downward. I have cut out all the suggested food item and beverages that can cause stalls or slowdowns. After 5 weeks of strict Induction I can surely say I am METOBOLICLY RESISTANT. Whether or not I try the Fat Fast I think will come from the insights offered.

Do you have advice about the FF from your personal experience?
Do you have warnings from your FF experience?
Do you have insights that made your FF experience sucessful?

However you wish to share would be helpful for me.
Thank you and regards,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 16:50

Plan: CALP (switched from Atkins)
Stats: 189/169/145 Female 63 inches
BF:Way/too/high
Progress: 45%

If you are losing any weight at all, you are NOT severely metabolically restricted to the point the Fat Fast is an option. If you read DANDR, he says clearly that the Fat Fast is only for people who don't lose any weight on strict induction and who have ruled out other factors.

According to your profile you've lost 13% of your weight. That sounds pretty good to me!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 22:21

Default xtena - I am glad for you reply

xtena - you are right that 13% is very nice to look at but, that came after 5 weeks not 2 of strick Induction. 20 carbs per day and chiefly from leafy greens. No Splenda or other sweetners. I have also nearly cut out all cheese, bacon and sausage. I watch all sodium intake to limit water retention. I have included a daily fiber supplement ,as well as, a multivitamin, Atkins Omega Fish Oils and Atkins Dieter's Atvantage Vitamins. My only drink is water and 4-5 litres of it each day. Lastly, I exercise three 40+ minute workouts a week.

I have made adjustments to fine tune Atkins Nutritional Approach for my personal needs. I wont physic myself out comparing my results with others, but it challenages my optimism when I lost nothing during the two weeks Induction phase. Then only after I made all those adjustments I mentioned above, I've had these results by continuing on strick Induction for an additional 3 weeks.

I am making excuses? Maybe I am? It just seems like the weight doesn't come off with simply following the program. Anyhow, this is now my WOL because I love the energy and the simplicity and ease of eating Lcarb.

best regards and many wishes for success to you!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 22:41
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Atkins is not a quick weight loss diet. 10% after doing a strict induction, then a week or so of stall is normall. While it may be frustrating to you, the fat fast won't help.

I tried the fat fast. I made it 5 days. I was sick the entire time and felt nasty. I was also very unsatisfied. At the end of the week I was down 5 pounds. After going back on induction I gained it all back in 2 days. I stuck to strict induction and took the 5 pounds back of fin a week, but without feeling hungry or sick in the least.

Typically on this WOE you can expect to lose 10% on induction, then 5% of the remaining weight you have to lose every month after that. If you want to increase that rate, then exercise more. You are oding things right as you are now, just have more patience and let the weight come off in a healthy manner. The closer you are to goal the slower it will go, that's normall. In fact the slower you lose those last few pounds the more likely they are to stay off.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 22:02
Registered Member

Stats: 235/193/150 Male 5' 7"
BF:BMI 36.8/32/23.5
Progress: 49%
Default People's experience differs on the fat fast

Dear 94513,

If you haven't read through the thread in this subforum titled "Oil Fast," you should do so. There are two pretty thoroughly chronicled fat fasts in that thread -- one by timco (who started the thread), and one by me (who came in later and reported day by day my experience with it). Don't be put off by the label "oil fast." Timco wanted to try using oil, and I did part oil, part creme cheese, mostly for the sake of convenience. No muss, no fuss. Two hundred calories consumed within a minute, and no cooking or dishes

LadyBelle says the fat fast stinks in a bag for her. Reading around the forums, I find her report is not uncommon. On the other hand, others (such as timco and I) have not only had no problems, we have continued exercising pretty vigorously during the fat fast with no bad feelings or consequences.

So, it looks like you're not really going to know how it will work for you unless you try it. Don't sweat the kind of fat -- any kind of fat will work (butter, oil, shortening [yuk!], macadamia nuts, whatever). The only thing to watch out for is that 85-90 percent of your total calories come from fat, and the total calories do not exceed 1,000 per day during the fast. I lost eight pounds in the week I did it, and I'm hanging in there two weeks later (no futher weight loss, yet; but no gaining back either).

My experience was the same as yours -- rapid weight loss in the first week to ten days, then nada for the next six weeks. So, I did the fat fast. I'm glad I did; and, I'll likely do it again before I reach my goal.

If you try it, please keep careful notes on what happened, how you feel, what the results were, and post them in the forum. It will help a lot of other people when they're trying to figure out whether or not to give it a go.

Homesar
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 08:30

Homesar

Thank you for your experiences and insights. I am heading over to the thread timco input about "oil fast".

really, thank you!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 14:22
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Log me under the "lost 5 lbs but was tired and nauseous the whole time then gained it back" column!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 10:13

Default Started the fat fast on 8/18/03

I don't think I could stomach the oil fast.

I started the fat fast on Monday and have three serving of cream and two servings of deviled eggs for my meals. I wont say that I am not hungry. Monday night I went to bed with my stomach growling and my mouth watering from the toothpaste brushing my teeth. Yesterday was better but I was still hungry and had some cramping before a bathroom visit. Today I am suprised that I have a lot of energy even though I am hungry.

I am glad to say weight is coming off and I feel really, really good.