Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-09, 14:49

Plan: whole foods, less carbs
Stats: 158.5/145.5/125 Female 62 in
BF:2 high
Progress: 39%
Default The Zone?

I've come to the conclusion that it is the right program for my specific needs and was curious if there is anyone else out there doing the same?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-09, 12:20

Plan: 40/30/30 - BFFM
Stats: 153/115/116 Female 61"
BF:>36%/15%/<20
Progress: 103%

I like the 40/30/30 WOE which is quite a bit less complicated than the "Zone" version. Plus I have concerns regarding the amount of calories on the Zone which are very low.

If you use the Search function, you'll likely find a thread all about the 40/30/30 plan.

RVcook
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-09, 08:27

Plan: whole foods, less carbs
Stats: 158.5/145.5/125 Female 62 in
BF:2 high
Progress: 39%

Hey thanks! I appreciate the direction!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-09, 09:18
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook
I like the 40/30/30 WOE which is quite a bit less complicated than the "Zone" version. Plus I have concerns regarding the amount of calories on the Zone which are very low.

If you use the Search function, you'll likely find a thread all about the 40/30/30 plan.

RVcook

Can you help me find this? I'm curious - thanks

Also - did you go on BFFM right from the beginning, or was it something you transitioned to from some other plan?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-09, 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
Can you help me find this? I'm curious - thanks

Also - did you go on BFFM right from the beginning, or was it something you transitioned to from some other plan?

Here is the thread I was referring to: Zone - The Formula 40/30/30

I started with just daily walking; about 20 mins. at first. I never did any exercise program before that, so I started small. I huffed and puffed, but it really did help my weight loss and overall cardio function. After my first month, I started BFFM and began cycling my walking with a small weight workout, like walking 40 mins. 3 x per week and weights 3 x per week, alternating muscle groups. Before I got my weights, I just used resistance bands which worked wonderfully.

Of all the 'diets' I was on, the 40/30/30 was the easiest to follow and I could eat ANYTHING, anywhere. That was the best part.

RVcook
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-09, 11:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/179/165 Male 68 inches
BF:26.5%
Progress: 50%

If you were on a low-carb diet like Atkins, educate yourself before going on the Zone Diet.

It works for some people, but for many, it does not.

Consider this. Most people who followed Atkins properly, learned that they could eat about 40-45g's of carbs per day, and still lose weight. More than 45gs and they'd stall. Over 50g's and they gain weight.

On the Zone, you'll evaluate your LBM(Lean Body Mass), to find out how many carbs, protein and fat per day, you require. They convert these into blocks. 9gs of carbohydrates is 1 block. So, for myself, I was required 13 blocks per day. Thats 117g's of carbs per day. I know my carb threshold is 40-45gs per day, if I want to continue to loose weight. I can go up to 60-65g's of carbs and not gain weight. Beyond 65, I'll start inching up. 117g's per day, I'll gain weight and I did.

I've gone between the Zone and Atkins a several times, and it ends up the same.

So, the Zone is good for some people, but like I said, if you've been on Atkins and find that it looks like a better diet for you, because you'll get to eat some of the carbs you've been missing, you better take a closer look, or you'll put back the weight you lost, before you started Atkins.

Dr Atkins himself stated, that most Americans could not consume over 80g's of carbs per day, and lose weight.

Jim
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-09, 14:44
Registered Member

Plan: Zone Good Enough
Stats: 223/194/185 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Another Zone person here. "The Zone" is not necessarily 40-30-30. That is just the starting point from there you find your individual carb tolerance. I find it easy to follow, and I also like the fact that If I screw up one meal, I just do better at the next one and get back in "The Zone", vs having my whole day trashed because I over ate carbs or whatever at one meal. My advice try and find a used copy of 'Mastering the Zone or 'A Week in The Zone'. There are also meal templates on the official site that are free.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-09, 15:30

There are definitely variables that come into play with any "diet." Each individual should work to try and find the one that works best for them.

I had been on Atkins for about 3 years and lost a total of 7 lbs. I actually really liked that program, but my body couldn't tell the difference between eating lots of protein and fat or eating lots of carbs and fat. I was never hungry which was good, but when my weight loss stopped and I started gaining, I needed to investigate why the change. I kept my carbs within the limits laid out his book, but found that I was overeating protein and fat. When I tracked my calorie consumption (something that I thought I would never have to do while on Atkins...) I found that I was consuming close to 3,000 calories per day!!! I'm only 5'1" and that was definitely double what I should have been consuming. So I cut back, and the hunger returned and I began to overeat. After going back and forth, I decided that this plan just wasn't meant for me.

I find that the macronutrient ratio which works best for me is closer to 30/35/35. Being very carb sensitive, I do better when I eat a few less carbs and concentrate more on good fats and lean proteins.

I had all the Zone books and found them a bit too technical for me, but everyone's different. I also found that Dr. Sears calorie levels were lacking. The Daoust's program is a little more forgiving and allows for a wider variety of foods in my opinion. You can also adjust the calorie requirements to suit your activity levels, but lower calories don't always equate to weight loss. Case in point: A friend and I started at the same time and were both considered meal plan 'B' - 1257 calories (which accounted for our body weight and exercise level.) We both lost and I began to add exercise to my program while my friend did not. Looking at my activity level, LBM and recovery needs, I actually 'upped' my calories (thus moving to meal plan "C" - 1465 calories) and continued to lose weight. My friend who had lost a good deal of weight then moved to meal plan "A". Still not exercising, but keeping her calories at the 1063 level, she started to pack on the lbs. again. Yes...exercise was key here, but for women like me, who are height challenged as well as in midlife, need to be mindful of our bodies needs.

For some it's Weight Watchers or Atkins or NutriSlim. For others it may be The Glycemic Diet or SouthBeach or SlimFast. For me, it's a 'tweaked' version of the Zone. Isn't it wonderful that there are so many choices!!

RVcook
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-17-09, 14:07
Registered Member

Plan: the zone
Stats: 242/241.8/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up

I have come to this conclusion too! Nice to meet other zoner!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-17-09, 15:05
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

This has been an interesting read for me - thank you for sharing that thread in question - I went and read most of it.

Also - thank you to Jim too - because I think you're right.

I was just kind of curious, because I overreacted last week to a minor weight gain and assumed that something was totally 'wrong' with my low-carbing. That minor uptick in the scale is mostly now fixed. At the time though, I was thinking, 'Oh no, I need to change something up drastically'. That wasn't the case.

I did do some reading, and I don't think a Zone or 40/30/30 type of plan would work for me at all right now. I just need to work on increasing my carbs very slowly (a la Atkins) and get to a stable place. Unfortunately, I never did do the Atkins carb-ladder thing properly, so I'm a little out of the loop. Meawnhile, I'm veering towards a more Paleo-ish type of plan - so some of the food items discussed don't really fit my lifestyle that well. (currently gluten/dairy/soy/artificial sweetener free).

Thank you though! It was interesting to read, and I always enjoy hearing about what works for others.

Last edited by Citruskiss : Sat, Oct-17-09 at 15:10.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-09, 14:37
Registered Member

Plan: the zone
Stats: 242/241.8/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 0%

I am starting the zone again.. I am not exercising right now and I am eating 14 blocks instead of 12 like it used to.. I am looking forwad to see if I will still lose weight or if I will either have to go back to 12 blocks or exercise again...
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-09, 14:57

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 147/138/130 Female 65
BF:
Progress:

To keep the weight off I need to be active. It doesn't have to be a lot. And in my case it helps that I walk to and from school every weekday. If I don't do some form of exercise along with my diet, the pounds just pile on.
Quote:
I had all the Zone books and found them a bit too technical for me, but everyone's different. I also found that Dr. Sears calorie levels were lacking. The Daoust's program is a little more forgiving and allows for a wider variety of foods in my opinion.

RVCook - what book would you recommend? I noticed you've tried a lot of diets and wondered if you found one book among them all better than the rest.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-09, 15:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/179/165 Male 68 inches
BF:26.5%
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystin
I am starting the zone again.. I am not exercising right now and I am eating 14 blocks instead of 12 like it used to.. I am looking forwad to see if I will still lose weight or if I will either have to go back to 12 blocks or exercise again...

So, you'll be consuming 126g's of carbs per day.

Let us know how you make out.

Jim
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-09, 16:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesheep
To keep the weight off I need to be active. It doesn't have to be a lot. And in my case it helps that I walk to and from school every weekday. If I don't do some form of exercise along with my diet, the pounds just pile on.

RVCook - what book would you recommend? I noticed you've tried a lot of diets and wondered if you found one book among them all better than the rest.

You hit the nail on the head: "To keep the weight off I need to be active." This is SO important and contrary to what other publications tell you, exercise should be a mandatory part of any weight loss program. Now...I'm not talking about hitting the treadmill everyday at a running pace, but rather, just a form of exercise that you enjoy and that can be changed up a bit. For me, walking fits the bill. I can speed it up, slow it down, increase intensity with speed bursts, walk long, walk short, jog, flat run, take an uphill or climbing route. An illness and injury has stopped my use of hand weights and resistance bands, but walking is still something I can still do with regularity.

You're correct that I've definitely tried my share of every popular diet ever published! With that said of course, it took me a long time to find the "right" program and it was with trial and error that I finally found what worked.

If you feel that a Zone-type diet is worth trying, please refer to the link I posted above and read up on the books, tips and recipes contained in that thread. The Daousts' books are well written, easy to follow and their plans work for me. However, if I were to recommend one book, it would be "The Formula; A Personalized 40/30/30 Weight Loss Program." You can get it used really cheap or your local library may be able to get a copy for you to review to see if this is something you'd be interested in.

I followed the plans in this book and used their recipes for meals and snacks to dump the majority of excess weight I was carrying. Once I got the hang of how to put a meal together, I used my nutrition software to try my hand of "zoning" my old favorite recipes. But that didn't happen until much later.

RVcook
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-09, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR-OCDS
So, you'll be consuming 126g's of carbs per day.

Let us know how you make out.

Jim

When I did Atkins, I did between 30-50g of carbs per day and lost a total of 7 lbs. in 3 years. When I did the 40/30/30 plan, I was consuming between 110-150g of carbs per day and lost a steady 2 lbs. per month until I got to goal. Technically, if you deduct the fiber, then I guess I was consuming about 90-125g of carbs per day. But...I was doing some form of exercise everyday. I know if I sit around and don't move, then it doesn't matter how few calories or how few carbs I eat; I will plateau and then begin to gain weight.

Oh to be young and have a screamin' metabolism again...sigh...