Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-03-09, 12:21

Plan: Atkins/Meat & Egg
Stats: 218/159.2/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Please explain Carb cycling!

I realize there is a ton of threads about carb cycling, I'm very interested. Unfortunetly, the "rules" or "guidelines" aren't very clear. I realize there are different ways to do it so please give me your way.
From what I understand is one does carb down until the loss has stopped for a couple of days, then does 1 carb up day? Is this a whole day of carb up or one meal? Also, are you eating breads and such or just high veggies & fruits? Are you still consuming the same amount of water for cu and cd days? Thanks in advance for your answers
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-06-09, 12:34

BF:

ah, come on!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-06-09, 13:03
macabrem

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I'm surprised nobody answered your question yet. I'll try my best, although I don't carb cycle.

Many people carb cycle for at least 2 main reasons:

1) To be able to increase the intensity of their work outs. (more stored glycogen in the muscles)

2) To keep their body surprised so the weight keeps coming off with less stalls (switching between ketosis and and "carb burning" - and messing with insulin levels)

I've read where some people do a 1 day carb up and some people do a 2 day carb up. And, some of these people will eat whatever, and some people get all of their carbs from vegetables, whole grain, etc. And after the carb up days many people will eat 3 to 6 days low carb again before another carb up day.

So, it depends on what you hope to gain from carb cycling. If you just feel that you need to throw a wrench into how your body is working to surprise it and increase weight loss in a couple of days with low carb again, you could just eat a candy bar.

If you want to do it for working out, you could theoretically try to pace yourself and increase your carbs just enough to where your muscles are filled with glycogen (however you can determine your magic level), but not so much that it starts going into fat storage.

To be honest, this isn't something I'm likely to mess with anytime soon, but good luck if you decide to try it. I am able to have very intense workouts and a lot of energy (with large muscle gains and still losing fat) while eating under 20 grams of carbs a day.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-06-09, 13:49

BF:

definitely not for working out intensely, lol. i just want to throw a wrench in things. It's worked so far, gotten under the 150 I was stuck ~ for 1 week. I know that's not a stall, but i should lose oz's every day even if its only two. Anyway, still on my carb down day, we'll see how it works out tomorrow morning, if I am the same, i'll carb up for ONE MEAL. Try to only gain 1lb instead of 3-4 and start over again.