Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 23:49
Registered Member

Plan: generalized LC
Stats: 235/193/160
BF:
Progress: 56%
Question Fat Fast - has anyone tried it?

I am just starting the LC thing again -- since I'm now fatter than I ever was pregnant. But my husband and I have done it for 2 week induction style periods before, and we have generally greatly reduced the corn and potatoes in our house. (I have real trouble giving up bread, however.)

In our previous LC journeys - he always lost significantly more weight than me And now I weigh significantly more than him. That makes me a "turtle" I suppose. So I went searching and found information on starting a weight loss program on low carb if you are "resistant" to it. it was called the fat fast. See link below if you are curious.

http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2001/12/21-237659.html

I am considering trying the less restrictive of these for a few days -- but it does seem extreme. So I was wondering has anyone tried this method? I was also wondering if a day or two of this might help some of you who are at a plateau move on

Anyway, I really don't know and will be reading up a little -- any coments please?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 00:43
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Default About the Fat fast

The fat fast is not to be used as an initial diet, it is only to be used if you do not lose any weight OR inches on induction.
Quote:
Caution: The Fat Fast is actually dangerous for anyone who is not metabolically resistant. For people who lose weight fairly easily, the rate of weight loss is too rapid to be safe. But it carries very little risk for people who can barely lose on any other regimen
I would not call you resistant to weight loss just because your husband loses faster than you do... men react totally different in dieting than women, it is a biological factor. I would suggest sticking to induction, and keeping track of weight and measurements... before doing anything drastic as the fat fast, as Atkins warns... it is dangerous for those who are not metabolically resistant~
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 22:30
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks for you input

I'm holding off on this and just going to try to find a combination of foods that works for me.

Although the idea of having a "fat fast" has reminded me that maybe I should eat a little more of the obvious fatty things - as absurd as that sounds. Because I always skin my chicken and cut the fat off my meat, which while I dont like the texture of fat maybe I need eat more of it for balance.

... still drives me crazy that he looses so much more weight than me, and eats grapes too!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 17:53
Registered Member

Plan: TKD/Protein Power
Stats: 142/136.2/120?
BF:27%/26%/14%
Progress: 17%

I know there was an experiment awhile back on one of these boards where members incorporated days of fat fasting and Stillmans into their regular plans. How did that work for people? Does anyone have experience adding a single fat fast day into their plan? What were your results?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 02:46
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/259.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

You can read about that project under Group Projects, there are various people's study journals there.

I'm trying a rotation style diet again, using a modified fat fast day one time per week. I just add extra protein so that I won't be deficient in it.

Some people have lost 3 pounds in one day doing fat fast. This is most likely water. If you read back a ways in my journal I have some menus posted and results. Doing the rotation diet, the fall before I became pregnant resulted in my being at my lowest weight since High School, and size 10 jeans for Christmas! I'm hoping to have the same results in the months to come.

Beth
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 23:48

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 325.4/228/175 Female 5'7
BF:mostly!
Progress: 65%

Just stumbled onto this thread,,,,,sounds like just what I need. I have been stalled for a few weeks and getting really frustrated. I am going to try the fat fast tomorrow,,,just for a day or two to see if it jump starts the losing again. I have been on this WOE for five months with a total loss of 32 pounds so far, but nothing has moved in the last three weeks or so. That is so discouraging.

I'll pop back in and let you all know what happens!

cya lighter
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 20:48

Plan: Organic
Stats: 167/1??/120 Female 69 inches
BF:29w/26w/24w
Progress: 57%
Thumbs up

I did the fat fast for two days and I lost two pounds of fat. I didn't come back even when I went back to eating 35 carbs a day.
I plan on doing the fat fast after Thanksgiving and then induction for a week, fat fast for 3 days, induction for a week.....wish me luck
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 15:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I did the fat fast Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I used the one that is 1,000 calories a day and includes 6 ounces of cream cheese and 2 ounces of macademia nuts. LOTS of water! The first day was horrible I was SO hungry. The second and third days were actually tolerable. I lost 7 pounds in the three days. Of course, this is my first week back to less than 30 carbs a day.....so we will see whether I regain some of it or not. I won't weigh myself until Sunday. But interestingly, my ketostix is still purple after being back to the regular plan. I did this as an experiment to see if it would kickstart me a bit. I think it is worth a try if you are totally determined and want to see what your body does with it. Cindi (definitely read Atkins book or website before you do this)
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 15:41
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I don't think you guys are using this properly. But it's none of my business so just be careful and healthy ok????
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 16:14
Registered Member

BF:
Default Update

Well, while I didn't ever actually do the official fat fast, I did do something like it.

I decided that maybe it was extreme for me to go with virtually no carbs and so few calories. But I thought why not try a low cal/low carb day once or twice a week to try to kick my loss into a higher gear. It has certainly helped me, and since I have a long way to go I think that is a good thing.
For me, I try to do it on Tues/Thursday which are the days I don't go home for lunch. My typical menu for these days has been

Breakfast: Egg discarding 1/2 the white and a slice of cheddar cheese or bacon for breakfast.
Lunch: Small serving of Tuna Salad w/crumbled bacon ?4 oz
Snack: 2 oz cream cheese macadamia mix (w/ sucrose)
Dinner: A small piece of steak or salmon pan grilled in butter ?4oz
Snack: Sharp Cheddar Slice 1/4" thick off a brick.

Anyway doing this has probally changed me from loosing 3 lb in a week to loosing 5 lb. But that is only when I am really good on the weekends too.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 16:19
Registered Member

BF:

I bought a pack of 4 atkins type shakes and 4 bars today at the market. I plan to try using a shake for breakfst and a bar for lunch on the days I don't go home next week. (that is to say the lowcal+low carb days)

I'm sure they arent as good for you as eating real food, but they will offer convinience on days I travel. I'll try to remember to update you all if they let me keep loosing weight at a good clip.

In the post above I said I typically lost 3 lb a week before -- that is true of the good weeks. But I stalled often just loosing 1 lb in a week, which was dissapointing. So three weeks of doing this has made me quite happy with the scale.