Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-08-05, 06:37

Plan: My Own Mix
Stats: 185/185/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Perfect Boiled Eggs!

FOund some helpful hints & thought to share!!

AT LEAST A WEEK OLD: Extremely fresh eggs are not recommended when making hardboiled eggs. They are very difficult to peel. Hard-boiling is the best use for eggs nearing their expiration date. PRICK THE SHELL: Carefully push a needle or pushpin into the large end of the uncooked egg, about 1/4 inch. This will pierce the tiny air bubble (it is present in every egg) that in an unpricked egg expands and, as the egg is heated, cracks the shell. A tiny hole allows the air to escape.

SIMMER METHOD: Bring a pot of water to boil. Lower the chilled eggs into the boiling water and bring the water back to a simmer and set the timer: 11 minutes for medium eggs, 12 minutes for large eggs and 13 minutes for extra large ones. Keep the water at a low simmer that produces small bubbles and a very slight movement among the eggs.

CODDLE METHOD: Some great cooks prefer to coddle eggs rather than simmer because the results are more reliable. Place the chilled eggs in a pot of cold water (6 cups for 1 to 4 eggs and an additional cup for each additional egg). Bring the water to a full-rolling boil; remove from heat and cover. Set the timer for exactly 17 minutes (or 18 for jumbo or extra large eggs).

NO MORE UGLY GREEN RING: Sulfur in eggs can cause a greenish grey film to form on the surface of the yolk when the temperature of the yolk exceeds 158 F. This discoloration is not unhealthful. The change of color occurs when eggs are allowed to remain warm after proper cooking. To prevent this, immediately transfer the cooked eggs to a bowl of ice water. The sulfur in the eggs moves away from heat allowing you to discard it with the shell.

FOOLPROOF PEELING OF HARD-COOKED EGGS: Tap the egg gently to break the shell in many places all around the egg. Start peeling the egg by first placing it under a small stream of cold water and begin removing the shell from the large bottom-side. If the shell is resistant and wants to take part of the white with it, simply drop the egg into boiling water, wait 10 seconds and immediately transfer it to ice water. This will expand and contract the shell quickly and will release the shell easily.

STORE COOKED EGGS PROPERLY: Cooked eggs should be submerged in cold water in an uncovered container and stored in the refrigerator. They will keep for several days this way without loss of flavor, nutrition or texture.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-08-05, 08:39

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 244/198/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

I have an Oster Egg Cooker and I think every household in America should have one, they are that fabulous. My mom's is 30 years old and still cooking. She bought me one as a gift when she moved (we all wanted the egg cooker) and I hardly ever put this away because hubby and I eat HB eggs so often.
You can order them online or look for them at your local appliance store.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-08-05, 08:58

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

The trouble I have with the details of the egg cooking article is that they do not work where I live. All the times are based on sea level cooking. At 5000 feet altitude, water boils at a lower temperature and it takes longer to hard boil eggs. If I used the times in the article, the eggs would be mushy.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-08-05, 09:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/140/125 Female 66 inches
BF:22% and shrinking
Progress: 0%

Whoever knew eggs could be so technical
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-08-05, 12:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/187/158 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

i would like to get oneof those egg cookers
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-08-05, 12:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/187/158 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

i also have found a microwave egg cooker for hard boiled eggs. i have not bought it yet. sue
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 15:25
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I use the 'coddle' method for making HB eggs, except I don't bring the eggs to a full boil and just let them cook for about 22 min. The eggs come out so much tastier than if you boil the heck out of them. It's a good way to cook omega-3 eggs so that you don't make the delicate n3s go rancid. One time, I put n3 eggs on the stove and forgot about them. They were unsalvagable - they tasted like fish! (At least I knew the company wasn't ripping me off!)