Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-08, 21:47

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Annoying Assumptions About Vegetarianism and Low Carbing

Hi Everyone,
I was surfing another low carb message board and someone posted the question of whether Atkins was doable as a lacto-ovo vegetarianism. Someone answered by posting this information she found on another site:

"The diet is not recommended for lacto-ovo vegetarians, since it cannot be done as successfully without protein derived from animal products. Also, vegans cannot follow this diet, since a vegan diet is too high in carbohydrates, according to Atkins. Instead, he recommends vegetarians with a serious weight problem give up vegetarianism, or at least include fish in their diet."

Excuse me??? So I posted this response:
"I'm sorry, but this absolute garbage. While it's true that doing Induction-level carbs would be difficult as a lacto-ovo vegetarian, it's absolute BS that lowcarbing (and even Atkins) cannot be done as a lacto-ovo. Do a search for vegetarian low carb and you'll find several links that explain just how to do it. In addition, Rose Eliot's book "The Vegetarian Low Carb Diet" gives a blueprint that is exactly like Atkins and is vegetarian.

I've been on and off lowcarbing for a few years as a vegetarian (currently back on) and I have had no problem doing low carb including dairy and soy products. You can even do it as a vegan, as long as you're willing to go higher than Induction-level carbs (and even Atkins doesn't recommend staying at 20 carbs for the long term). I've tried doing vegan low carb before and was able to get to 60 carbs per day which is still considered low carb.

I highly doubt that Atkins or any other medical doctor would recommend that someone "give up" vegetarianism to do low carb. That's just plain insensitivity not to mention unethical practice in my eyes. Vegetarianism isn't just a food choice, it usually involves much more, such as ethics, health, and environment. It's not just a matter of "giving it up" because you're trying to lose weight.

Incidentally, I just read somewhere that the book "Atkins Advantage" addresses vegetarianism and gives some tips on how to do Atkins as a vegetarianism.

I didn't mean to rant here, but it really annoys me when I read people who obviously have no clue about low carbing assume that it is not doable for vegetarians (and I'm not talking here about jerseygrl who posted the note - I'm talking about the person who wrote it ). True, low carbing has always been associated with a high level of meat eating, but many low carbers don't just rely on meat for their protein. It's similar to the BS that goes around about low carbers not eating veggies. Take a look sometime at sample menus people post on the boards and you'll see that many integrate plenty of veggies."

OK, so I got a little heated .

But seriously, can we please kill this misconception that vegetarian low carbing cannot be done???

Tam
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-08, 23:17

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

Obviously it can be done!

Thank you for explaining that vegetarianism is about more than just food. I have observed that most people don't consciously choose to give up meat unless there's an ideology involved. IMO it should be declared an official religion.

In my case, no I'm not a vegetarian. But it's nice to know that vegetarians have been able to successfully low carb.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 04:17

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 205/201/145 Male 6ft
BF:
Progress: 7%

It certainly can be done, and I've done it. I've had whey powder as my main source of protein while going low carb (I'm not vegetarian anymore but I have no desire to eat meat) but when they put the price up I decided to eat fish again.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 16:20

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 354/286/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Maybe you can ask them to explain to you what part of milk and egg protein is not directly derived from animals?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 17:03

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Since you should be deriving most of your calories from fat anyway, I don't see why it can't be done. Coconut milk, avocado, olive oil....no problem
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 23:20

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I'm not vegan, but just for fun- here is a menu I'd try

B- celery with peanut butter or maybe hot flax "cereal"- flax meal, water and davinci's

L- crudites with baba gnouish
olives
baked/marinated tofu

or, tofurkey/soy mayo/pickle roll ups or a Boca burger or 2 in a lettuce "wrap" with sugar free catsup, soy mayo, mustard...

D- mexican salad- lettuce, sauteed peppers and onion, tons of avocado and hearts of palm, salsa...maybe some more olives...

or maybe miso soup with seaweed, tofu chunks, mushrooms, and spinach. Then I would want some fat too!!- maybe some wasabi almonds?

snacks- nuts, almond milk, artichoke hearts in olive oil....

Can be done! And that is definitely less than 60g carbs, I believe. I'd just watch out for eating too much soy (I think soy is healthy); I just mean not to go overboard . Too much of anything is a bad idea in my opinion.

It definitely requires creativity, but can be done! Best of luck.