Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1006   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-15, 09:47

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Who knew? Thank you, Ladies. Will check Whole Foods and Earthfare to see if it has hit NC yet.
Sponsored Links
  #1007   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-15, 09:47

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

I noticed on Dr.Fung's sample food dieary, he has vegetable broth listed. Does anyone make that? I'm thinking it would be faster for one thing. I also get sick of the whole house smelling like the bone broth I'm simmering for hours.

I found a few recipes:

http://markbittman.com/very-flavorf...tock-in-1-hour/

http://ohmyveggies.com/how-to-make-...CrWQVEz0f2hu.99

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/vegetable-stock
  #1008   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-15, 09:57

Earthfare, only a mile from my home, has Turkey, Chicken and Beef Bone Broth! $4.79 box 32 oz.

Janet, isn't the benefit of the homemade broth the minerals and gelatin from the bones, which would be lacking with veg Though can always add the powdered gelatin, and it certainly would be quicker. Know what you mean about the odor. Have to make mine in a crockpot on the screened porch

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Apr-12-15 at 14:23.
  #1009   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-15, 10:06
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Good idea, and thanks for going that far with the research. Still, I find it character building to make the broths myself .
  #1010   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-15, 10:11
Doing My Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMama
I intend to start tomorrow night (Sunday night) for a 36 hour fast. MWF of this week.

Rem,
Every BODY is different, but my experience with IF is that it is easier for me to string several fast days together. For some reason, and even though I've been very LC for a long time, the feed days make me hungrier the next fast day. Go figger'. Maybe you have the right idea with the 36 hour fast.
  #1011   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-15, 10:17

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Good idea, and thanks for going that far with the research. Still, I find it character building to make the broths myself .

I make a big pot of bone broth every week in a crock pot. Lately I have been getting turkey drumsticks to make the broth. I just add water, a little seasoning and some apple cider vinegar which is supposed to leach minerals from the bone and I let it cook for 24 hours. Easy to do. I don't use veggies in it, which would probably give it more flavor but I like how it tastes just made simply like this.
  #1012   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-15, 10:51
Doing My Best

I make my broths plain and invest in seasonings to add to the blank canvas. Chipotle finishing salt, herbs in tubes, along with lemongrass and ginger. When you factor in how long the tubes last, it's not that expensive.
  #1013   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-15, 14:47

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 308/247.5/182 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Rem, have you been eating LC now for a while so you don't snack, maybe down to two meals a day? You don't have to jump in with a 36 hour fast to start, you could do 18, then the 24 hour eat dinner every night protocol Fung has in his Fasting Guidelines. Probably depends on your personality and your preparation, but you might consider working up to a longer fast if 36 is difficult at first.

I see what your saying, but knowing myself...if I put my toes in the water, I'm not going in, I need to jump into it with both feet and dial it down, otherwise I won't get there. In addition, I really need to get my Sugars down quickly.

Quote:
Understand about the broth, I bought 2 knuckle bones from the farmers market yesterday but it will be days before I get around to making it. More often than not, I end up using a boxed broth. Organic, not low sodium, not low fat chicken or beef broth. Trader Joes or a Pacific Organic type from other stores. A homemade broth would have more fat and gelatin extracted from the bones, so I add the allowed 1T of coconut oil/day to it, maybe extra salt, and take a serving of gelatin that day (optional, good for joints though).

I bought a couple boxes of broth today for my fasting days, which start tomorrow.

Quote:
[EDIT: AHA. FOUND IT! The full list of blood tests are under the JOIN tab for patients who want his Long Distance program. Lists exactly what test to get at start and every three months. https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/join/ ] ps: DirectLabs popular Comprehensive Wellness package for $99 picks up many of those Fung lists at once.

This is great information! Thanks!

Quote:
Goes without saying, monitor your BG very closely! Read the caution thread on this forum. Around my one meal on a fasting day, I take a few BG through the day, then pre-meal and some PP also. https://intensivedietarymanagement....-Guidelines.pdf

I'll take a look at the caution thread. But what is PP? I'm not up on all the acronyms.
  #1014   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-15, 14:52

Post Prandial, after meals to see the effects of what you ate, how long to get back to baseline, the pre-meal level.
  #1015   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-15, 15:40

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:

Janet, isn't the benefit of the homemade broth the minerals and gelatin from the bones, which would be lacking with veg

Well, that's what I thought, but it looks like Dr. Fung has people alternate beef, chicken and veg broths.
  #1016   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-15, 20:47

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 308/247.5/182 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Rem,
Every BODY is different, but my experience with IF is that it is easier for me to string several fast days together. For some reason, and even though I've been very LC for a long time, the feed days make me hungrier the next fast day. Go figger'. Maybe you have the right idea with the 36 hour fast.

So do you do all your fasting for the week in consecutive days?
  #1017   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-15, 21:19
Doing My Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMama
So do you do all your fasting for the week in consecutive days?

My aim is to go from lunch to lunch to lunch. Sometimes that's possible for me and sometimes it isn't. Because I exercise every single day, some days I just feel too weak, or my stomach hurts, so I feed.

I just went back in time and found your post from October 10, 2014:
Quote:
I am diabetic, and have lost at one point lost 35 lbs. I should lose another 60-70.

Recently, it's been more difficult to control my BG levels. And the medications my Dr wants me on are rather expensive, and therefore I have been looking for alternatives including taking supplements and systemic enzimes to help with BG levels. Unfortunately, it's not enough

I am NOT diabetic and I don't take pharmaceuticals. Our positions are totally different. My long-term goal is to overcome insulin resistance so as not to become Type II and, of course, to lose weight and keep it off.

Dr. Fung's protocol works for me and I hope IF works for you. I'm keeping my FBG under 100 pretty consistently and I feel better. I'm paying special attention to adding fiber last thing before bedtime and taking fiber supplements throughout the day if I get too hungry. I drink lots of water.

If you started your fast today, be sure to let us know how it goes.
  #1018   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-15, 05:06
Doing My Best

I'm so exited!I just had to come on first thing this morning to tell you. The scale moved again! It has taken almost a month to move this time, but it moved downward another pound. After six years of it being stuck in place, I was afraid I'd hit another wall.

I noticed that 3 things aligned:
FBG was in the 80s instead of 90s.
Scale moved downward.
Waist measurement was smaller. (31")

If I were able to test my insulin levels at home, I'm sure I'd see that also went down.

Thank you, Dr. Fung and fellow forum-ers.
  #1019   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-15, 05:47

Congrats Glenda!

Speaking of Insulin Levels.....

Just found through another group.... the best description of the Insulin Index of Foods ever seen, can even print out a .pdf of foods II from a Blog that focuses on Optimizing Nutrition and Managing Insulin!! Check out this article and look around the website too...great information All About Insulin, Dr. Fung's focus.

https://optimisingnutrition.wordpre...nic-diet-foods/

Just his manifesto is 68 pages long...you can get sucked down a interesting rabbit hole with this fellow. Another new blog only 2 months old with amazing research summarized.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Apr-13-15 at 05:53.
  #1020   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-15, 06:17
Doing My Best

Quote:
Speaking of Insulin Levels.....

Just found through another group.... the best description of the Insulin Index of Foods ever seen, can even print out a .pdf of foods II from a Blog that focuses on Optimizing Nutrition and Managing Insulin!! Check out this article and look around the website too...great information All About Insulin, Dr. Fung's focus.

https://optimisingnutrition.wordpre...nic-diet-foods/

Thank you, thank you! This is me heading down the information rabbit hole.
Closed Thread