Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-09, 16:32

Plan: Carnivorous
Stats: 183/131/138 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 116%

That article seems nonsensical to me, since I believe we evolved eating meat. A woman and her fetus wouldn't survive if she didn't eat, and eating meant eating meat. You don't see pregnant mountain lions start eating bland vegetables when pregnant just because their prey might have parasites.
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-09, 16:53

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 270/210/150 Female 65 inches
BF:50?/VERY/22
Progress: 50%

I'd love to bring this discussion about morning sickness back over here from the "no men allowed pregnancy thread" so I'll post what I did over there....

"I agree that the meat and veggies causing vomiting b/c the "might" be toxic makes no sense, BUT, maybe the constant nausea/heightened sense of smell make you more likely to upchuck something that was slightly off, or just SO picky about what you try to eat that you only get the freshest most appealing nutrient dense foods available.

I also feel worst on carby crap, but, ironically that is the only thing that seems appealing once I am feeling crappy unless I really work hard to focus on something healthy and convince myself otherwise. I would love to know if women who grew up eating hunter gatherer style (and their mothers before them) actually have nausea regularly in their pregnancies or if it is a modern thing from generations of screwing up our genes with grains, etc... I know it is a hormonal thing and obviously they would need the same hormones to carry a baby, but maybe they were not affected the same way. It just doesn't make sense to me evolutionarily speaking."
  #168   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 06:03

Plan: hunter-gatherer
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 5'6"
BF:breast feeding! ;)
Progress: 0%

I still think my theory of the Puking Woman Inducing Male Concern might have a role. I took it as a good sign that I had morning sickness (granted mine wasn't severe and disabling) as this meant I was less likely to have a miscarriage.

this is funny--from the wikipedia article on morning sickness:
Quote:
Many other non-scientific theories for morning sickness have been proposed in the past. Notably, according to psychologist Sigmund Freud, morning sickness is the result of the mother's loathing of her husband. The subconscious manifestation of this is a desire to abort the fetus through vomiting.[12] In general, such theories are not accepted by modern scientists; Steven Pinker, in "How the Mind Works" goes further, ridiculing the idea as the "barf-up-your-baby theory".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_sickness
  #169   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 10:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/125/115 Female 5'
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 83%

I still remember my "morning sickness" with both my pregnancy's. I would brush my teeth and it would bring it on. I had it all day not just in the morning. One of the worst episodes I had was just after eating pot roast. I don't think I ate the veggies as they were not appealing at all just the meat. I barely made it to the toilet and the vomit shot from the bathroom door to the toilet. I would then have dry heaves. Morning sickness for me lasted through the second trimester and into the third. Amazingly I had two healthy children of normal weight and length. My youngest is now 34 years old and I still remember morning sickness vividly. *shudder*
  #170   ^
Old Tue, Aug-23-11, 13:43

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

bumping so i can find this again and read all gazzilion posts.