Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: How much hair loss have you suffered as a result of LCing?
None 130 43.05%
Mild / Moderate 107 35.43%
Falling out in chunks 59 19.54%
EXTRA: Also choose this option if your hair has fully grown back. 21 6.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 14:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/140/130
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default How many people have suffered hair loss as a result of Atkins?

I've been a victim of hair loss in the past and it wasn't fun, so I'm hoping the percentage is lower than it appears from the prior threads.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 14:46
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Right around Winter/Spring 2001 I had a clogged shower drain problem due to my falling hair. I had also been lowcarbing for 5-6 months at the time, I think and had lost a good amount of weight. Before Spring had finished so had the hair loss, and now it's growing thick and long and fast!

Elihnig
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 14:48
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

I just wanted to add one thing, hair loss is a result of weight-loss stress, regardless of which plan you follow.

I've experienced temporary hair-loss on every plan I tried. But it's quite temporary as long as you don't under-eat and as long as you are not malnourished.

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 14:57

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Yup...I experienced the same thing for several months, but it has since stopped and grown back. I'd only be concerned if it didn't stop and I started noticing thin or bald spots...that's something to see your doctor about and probably not related to low carbing at all.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 15:30
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

I've been low-carbing at 20 to 30g carbs per day for over 2 years. During the first year, I experienced improved hair texture and growth, and I was born with thin, baby-fine hair. Well, last fall I noticed that my hair was falling out as it normally does, but there was little or no regrowth. Which was totally bizarre, because I make a point to eat lots of protein. I added some supplements which are reported to improve hair growth -- MSM, biotin, extra B complex.

By February, I was really concerned, as I was getting VERY thin on top, almost like male-pattern baldness, which suggested hormone problems. My doctor thought so too, and checked me for adrenal function (which controls production of testosterone and estrogen) .. and my stored iron levels. Well, guess what??? It was my iron levels ... serum ferritin was only 10. It should be at least 50. Iron is required by the hair follicle to grow a new strand of hair. If you're anemic, or if your iron levels are low, your hair will get thin because you're not able to grow adequate new hair to replace the old.

After 4 months, I'm noticing improved new growth with iron supplements. NOTE** - do NOT take supplemental iron without consulting your dr. or health care practitioner. Iron levels that are too high might be harmful to health, especially in men and post-menopause women. Generally, pre-menopausal women will keep iron levels in balance with their monthly blood losses. For younger women who've been following a lowFAT diet for a long time with little or no red meat, and normal to heavy menstrual periods, then low iron levels could be a problem. Get thee to the dr, don't guess

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 08:52

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

I seem to "shed" once a year (slightly), no matter what I'm doing with diet. I wonder if it isn't just a cyclical, normal thing. Stress of any sort will make hair fall out, too.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 10:46

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I'm not on Atkins, so I can't enter the poll. But on Schwarzbein, my hair is getting thicker and growing even faster than it did before.

;-Deb
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-02, 14:58

Stats: 125/123/120
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hi Jinkster..

I am a newbie (This is day 4½ for me), but i suffered MAJOR detox symptoms..shakes (literally DTs), headache, major fatigue, horrible muscle cramping, and last, and not least at all..My first 2 days, major hairloss and sudden DANDRUFF! I immediately came onto these forums, and with wonderful advice from the people here, ran and picked up vitamin and mineral supplements PRONTO! I got calc/magnesium (4x day), a kick ass multi-vitamin (1x day), vitamin C (2x day), potassium (4x day), and last, but not least, and DEFINATELY helped the hair situation, a B 100 Complex (Jamieson brand)..1x a day..guess what!? now at end of day 4½, and hair is NOT FALLING OUT! My first "full" day and second day of this WOL, it literally suddenly in the shower came out by handful..i had to disintangle my hand to finish washing..i had a little pet to put in the garbage can..but now, NO HAIR THIS MORNING! NO DANDRUFF! Every symptom gone, except had a burst of energy this morning and afternoon, but now feeling fatigued again (now 6pm)..i don't know if it was because I got to it right away..but i swear it was the b complex that did it...my skin even feels different-soft! only after 3 days of taking the stuff! And down 5 lbs to boot! So go go go get the highest B complex vit you can find!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-02, 10:56

Stats: 210/180/170
BF:
Progress: 75%

I started the LC in February and have lost about 30 lbs. About a month ago started noticing bald spot and other thinning areas. Have always had very thick hair and was very concerned. I am taking lots of supplements and have been for the whole time, so I do not think it is any kind of deficiency, had total blood work about a month ago, so don't think it is that. Hopefully, it is a stress thing related to the diet that will clear itself up, but no change yet. I will watch the forum and keep you posted.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 02:40

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:
Progress: 67%

what abt getting more white hairs?

it seems that i have gotten more white hairs now..not sure if it is related to LCing...or simply too much stress from all sources..

i heard that taking black sesames may help to regain black hair...
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 09:20

Stats: 246/221/200 Male 6'0"
BF:27%/25%/12%
Progress: 54%
Unhappy

I'm fairly certain that my wife's hair loss problem that she has started seeing is due to the change in diet. I have asked her to stop and go back to the old WOE. I think that the stress of having a 3 month old is also part of the issue. All and all I am doing everything that I can to help her and calm her down from day-to-day. She is showing a lot of the typical signs of stress and there's really no reason for it. We are both in a great place in our lives and she only really needs to lose about 10 to 15 pounds max. So LC'ing really isn't for her I don't think. But ultimately that is her decision.

Just chalk us up to another couple that are experiencing hairloss on this thread.

It didn't start, however, until she started low-carbing.

-Rick
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 15:27

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'd also like to point something else out here. It's VERY normal to experience hair loss following the birth of a child. During pregnancy, the hair follicles go dormant due to the hormone changes. After the baby is born, everything gets going again and makes up for lost time by shedding all the hair that would have fallen out during the time that you were pregnant. Both times I had a baby this happened to me, but it didn't keep falling out...trust me, I'm not bald. It would be wise to have the doc check the iron levels to rule out anemia, but I'm not sure it's really a reason to quit low carbing; the health benefits far outweigh the loss of a little hair that will eventually grow back IMHO.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 23:13
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

My minimally-educated guess would have to lean toward the fact that it was three weeks of Atkins with *no vitamins.* Atkins induction (though not other low carb programs, necessarily) will *cause* a vitamin deficiency if you don't suppliment.

Think of Pantene and their claim to fame being B vitamins directly in the shampoo...

I don't mean that as a criticism - if you can juggle being a wife, a new mom *and* doing Atkins, I worship you. It's just beyond resonable expectation, that's all. One challenge at a time: no one is "superwoman."

Last edited by Kristine : Tue, Jul-16-02 at 23:19.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 18:29

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 193/174.5/148 Female 5'3"
BF:yikes
Progress: 41%
Smile

Hi there, <p>
I just wanted to support the child birth and hair loss thing, when i was pregnant friends warned me about the hair loss and not to be alarmed, happens generally when the baby is about 3 months old. Sure enough hair by the handfull...it's only temporary , my guess is it would have happened no matter what her diet is. It will stop. <p> Congratulations on the little one <br>Eden
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 13:10

Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

Hi Rhollmer, stopping LC now is shutting the gate after the horse has bolted. I'm going through this hair loss thing too. Lots of follicles became 'mature' all at once about 3 months ago, rather than the usual few at at time, probably cos of the 'stress' of the diet change on the body.
Three months later, these hairs fall out as new ones start to grow.
So - the deed is done, just need to sit it out now until it stops (about 90 days apparently), and reassure ourselves that the new hair is growing and it will all be temporary.

All the best to your wife, she's handling a lot!!
Jay