Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 09:40

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBoGuy
We are all different.

No. We are all human. We could list all the things that are exactly the same regardless of what we eat. I will start with body temperature and blood PH. They are kept within a very narrow range. Any deviation outside of this range will be immediately noticeable and will result in significant health degradation. But the fact that they are kept within a very narrow range even with a significantly different diet tells us that our varied diets are not a function of need but rather a function of our ability to adapt to significantly different diets.

None of us need to eat a variety of foods but all of us can and do just fine. However, the farther we stray from an optimal diet, the faster we grow fat, sick, weak and stupid. I happen to believe that an optimal diet contains no plant.

The vegetarian argument is made possible by agriculture. Thus, it can only have existed for the last 10,000 years, no more. This means, we are hardly adapted to a strict vegetarian diet. This further means, we must have animal protein or we die. Therefore, to claim that some thrive on a vegetarian diet is pure speculation and a lie.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 10:09

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
The vegetarian argument is made possible by agriculture. Thus, it can only have existed for the last 10,000 years, no more. This means, we are hardly adapted to a strict vegetarian diet. This further means, we must have animal protein or we die. Therefore, to claim that some thrive on a vegetarian diet is pure speculation and a lie.

Haven't millions of people, in many countries, take India for example, been strict vegetarians for many centuries, for dozens of generations, and certainly some of them are vibrantly healthy?
  #108   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 11:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
Haven't millions of people, in many countries, take India for example, been strict vegetarians for many centuries, for dozens of generations, and certainly some of them are vibrantly healthy?

Maybe. Google "diabetes capital of the world".
  #109   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 11:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 196/176/160 Male 5-9
BF:
Progress: 56%

Lemme guess... it's not Inuvik.
  #110   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 11:35

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Maybe. Google "diabetes capital of the world".

I never knew that!

Thanks.

Personally, I gained a huge amount of weight following all those current recommendations about having 9 servings of veggies and 5 servings of fruit per day - along with "high protein" beans & legumes, and plenty of oatmeal.

LOL
  #111   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 11:46

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie

Yes! As you can see below, their vegetarian diet is far from the root of their problems as Martin would have you believe.

“In short the situation is grave,' said Anoop Misra, head of the department of diabetes, Fortis Healthcare.”

“He said growing popularity of junk food, intake of trans-fats, high calorie but low protein diet, sedentary lifestyle and racial predisposition were the main reasons for the spread of the disease.”

“Genetically Indians are predisposed to such ailments. And when they change their food habit then the chance of being affected by diabetes and heart problem is immense.”

Bo
  #112   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 12:12

BF:

Quote:
[...]
“Genetically Indians are predisposed to such ailments. And when they change their food habit then the chance of being affected by diabetes and heart problem is immense.”

Bo

Because the diseases of civilization are not the exclusive property of Indians but rather common to all humans regardless of nationality, it's more true to state that “Genetically humans are predisposed to such ailments. And when they change their food habit then the chance of being affected by diabetes and heart problem is immense.”

The counter argument to this is that some populations never develop the disease of civilization but then, they didn't "change their food habit" yet. We can say this because there is not one population that remained healthy after changing their food habit.

But now that we've established that India is the diabetes capital of the world, and that Indians are vegetarian, and that all humans are predisposed to the diseases of civilization, then it follows that what makes Indians more predisposed to diabetes than any other population is that they are vegetarian.

Last edited by M Levac : Sun, Mar-15-09 at 12:18.
  #113   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 13:00

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%

Martin,

While reading your response I found myself thinking that “wow”, this is great. For once I’m agreeing with Martin on something.

That is until the “Then it follows that what makes Indians more predisposed to diabetes than any other population is that they are vegetarian.” proclamation.

Sadly, all good things somehow come to an end.

Best wishes.

Bo
  #114   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 13:29

BF:

Quote:
Martin,

While reading your response I found myself thinking that “wow”, this is great. For once I’m agreeing with Martin on something.

That is until the “Then it follows that what makes Indians more predisposed to diabetes than any other population is that they are vegetarian.” proclamation.

Sadly, all good things somehow come to an end.

Best wishes.

Bo

I call it as I see it.
  #115   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 15:56

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

This reminds me of the old Star Trek episode when "matter" gets stuck fighting "antimatter" forever and ever.
  #116   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 21:28

Plan: CALP since 2.16.09
Stats: 322/309/168 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Just my two cents ...

First, from a purely anatomical perspective, humans are more similar to herbivores than carnivores. Human teeth - short and round, jaws (who move sideways and not up and down only as in carnivores) and nails (unfit to tear animals limb from limb), and digestive tracts are more similar to the ones of herbivores. We neither have the physical characteristics nor the killing instinct of carnivores. I am not talking about hunting here, but of seeing an animal close by and immediately pouncing on it with the intent to kill and devour it.

In the study of science, we discover that the higher up the food chain one is, the more deteriorated the energy in their food supply becomes. All energy in all living things comes from the sun and circulates through the food chain. The more it is recycled, the more it deteriorates. In plants, energy from the sun turns into chemical energy through photosynthesis. This is why we call plants producers, and everyone up in the food chain from there - a consumer. Herbivores easily digest this first-rate food, full of not only sugars, but also proteins, enzymes, and nucleic acids. When a carnivore consumer eats a herbivore, the energy is not so readily-available to them. If a second carnivore/omnivore eats the first, things decline even further. And I am not talking about the quantity of the energy available, but of its quality. As last in the food chain, the decomposers get the worst end of the deal.

Anthropologists are still out on whether the first humans were gatherers or hunters, or both. Each new claim to having the definitive answer is countered by another as more historical and anthropological data comes in. That humans have become omnivores is OK. A little bit of everything wouldn't hurt. I don't understand why there is such a fight over "I'm right", "No, I am right" here. Have you considered that both of you may be right, to a certain degree?

Secondly, When talking about the negative effect of grains on people, think of Celiac disease. Lately, with the genetic modification of grains, they have become more and more incompatible with the human organism. Grains as they were thousands of years ago would probably agree much better with us.

Martin, how could the optimal human diet contain no plant? Plants give us "live" energy directly from the sun. Where would fiber come from? How about enzymes to help us digest our food? Should the human colon become so toxic and congested due to poor elimination that more and more allergies and disease develop? What is the point of being skinny if one's bloodstream, intestines, and organs are so full of toxins that one is sick all the time?

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz : Mon, Mar-16-09 at 10:25.
  #117   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 23:42

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

eliza, you're forgetting that there is a third category of organisms on the planet... omnivores. these are organisms that are capable of obtaining energy from both plant and animal sources, and include bears, pigs, raccoons, chimpanzees, and humans.

energy doesn't deteriorate the farther up the food chain you go. if you look at the energy composition of the three macronutrients in food, you'll see that fat has 9 calories per gram, protein and carbohydrates both have 4 calories per gram. easily-gathered plant sources of fat are not readily available all year long, while animal sources of fat are. not to mention that there are essential fatty acids that are only easily available from animal sources. this, plus the structure of the jaw (ours goes both up and down AND sideways), plus the fact that our front teeth are sharp while the back teeth are rounded indicates we evolved to consume nearly all available food sources. we aren't limited to one or the other.

i agree that paleolithic sources of grains were much different than modern sources, however you also have to look at the processing of those grains. prior to modern agriculture, most of the grains would have been rices or seeds, with much of the nutritional content in fiber and therefore not digestible. with the advent of agriculture and flour mills, our bodies can now digest the grains, but with the adverse side effects we see today such as obesity, diabetes, and heart disease.

it's very easy to accept that the optimal human diet contains no plant sources. remember that in nature, plant sources of food are only available during a few short months, or even weeks. even modern herbivores eat as much carbohydrate as possible in order to store fat to help them survive the winter until plant life grows again. but carnivores aren't limited to one season of eating. finding prey may be harder during the winter, but you're far more likely to catch a rabbit or a bird than you are to harvest fruits or vegetables.
  #118   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-09, 00:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz
Just my two cents ...

OK. That's a lot of fallacious arguments all in one post. It's all been refuted before. But if you believe it all, then who are we to disagree.
  #119   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-09, 07:32

Plan: CALP since 2.16.09
Stats: 322/309/168 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 8%

KvonM, I appreciate your post and your approach to educated scientific discourse. You provide scientific proof in a calm, consistent manner. Thank you. I did mention that we are currently omnivores in my post.

M Levac, I see you are passionate on the matter discussed, and yet the way you approach people doesn't serve your purpose. People do not respond well to bullying and abrasiveness when it comes to civilized discourse.

Apparently my Advanced Degree in Science has filled me with so many delusions that I have to rely on a person who appears to have never gone beyond one theory they heard once to correct my errant ways . I am still searching and willing to learn (and will continue to learn) and even willing to hear you out if you approach things in a more polite manner. If others aren't willing to do the same, then it's their loss.

On another note, how can you pick so badly on poor BoBoGuy, look at the cute Yorkie he has for a picture. No one can be mad at such a cutie.

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz : Mon, Mar-16-09 at 07:45.
  #120   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-09, 09:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 196/176/160 Male 5-9
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
look at the cute Yorkie he has for a picture

Of course he's cute... He's a CARNIVORE!