Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-05, 17:07

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Well, I was 34.5 (and that estimate is hardly accurate) which puts me close to the cusp between Cat 3 and 2. So not sure what to do there..I went to his forum and asked the Q. Someone else (not him) said the opposite- that it is better to err in the direction of going up a category. So perhaps 2 free meals rather than 1 free and 1 refeed would be a compromise. Also, with my awful metabolism due to age and the fact that I have about 12 k+ to lose, I wonder if that doesn't make me more Cat 3 (since Cat 1 seem to be leaner people.)

Also I am not convinced of the science re eating so many carbs to 'refeed'..are you? I don't think carbs apart from fruit and veg are natural foods to us, so to my way of thinking, a 'refeed' would be equivalent to hunter gatherer suddenly making a big animal kill after a week of semi-starvation, and gorging. They of course always ate the fatty stuff and brains first. And then there is all that insulin surge from eating that many carbs.. there is increasing evidence that health problems are linked to insulin issues etc. So to me, a good increased carbs refeed would be to eat fruit...3 pieces ought to do it. I am sure that our ancestors didn't scrimp on fruit if they came across a tree laden with it.

Are you allowing more fat in your free meal, or more carbs? I will miss fat much more than carbs.

Val
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-05, 19:52
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power ~ Atkins
Stats: 189/180/163 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine

Twofat, don't tell the PSMF nazis, but I've still been having some LC beer.

In that case, this diet might be doable I am ready for a change, I'll keep following the thread

Good luck all!
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 07:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALEWIS
Also I am not convinced of the science re eating so many carbs to 'refeed'..are you?

Are you allowing more fat in your free meal, or more carbs? I will miss fat much more than carbs.

Am I convinced? No. But I'm giving it a try. Remember that fruit is full of fructose, not sucrose or glucose. So it doesn't really meet the purpose of refeed. I think that he is right at least to some extent, I know the thyroid gets foobared by low carbing and dieting, but does a single day of high carb really reset it for a week?

The free meal is there for psychological purposes, something to relieve the relative monotony and strictness of the diet. So do what you wish with them. Frankly, your stomach size will probably reduce so much you can't do that much damage with them. Free = free from rules... yes, of course, eat fat or whatever during your free meal. For me, I save mine for social occassions, usually I have at least one a week.

Quote:

I'm allowing more of whatever I want at the time!

Start with Category 3 and see how you do. If you stall out, then try to turn a free meal into a refeed and see if it helps.

As far as what is allowed and what isn't, regards beer and fat, the idea is to make the biggest calorie deficit possible and the only reason those things are limited is because they tend to make that goal harder. However, if you can do it, then I am envious!

Last edited by Nancy LC : Sun, Jun-19-05 at 12:32.
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 16:08

Thanks Nancy,

How is your progress, BTW?

I was horrified yesterday..I tried re-doing my BF with a complicated software that involved taking about 15 measurements..and sure enough, it estimated my BF to be over 40%. So while dismayed, I wasn't surprised as that fits more with my self-image and it puts me squarely into Cat 3!!

One problem for me, having sort of started yesterday, is that I am going traveling for 10 days as of Thursday. I will be having at least 3 meals on a train that is not offering much choice as well as eating out all the time. So I will just endeavour to try to keep quantities very low to control calories that way until I get back..

I was amused, looking at Lyle's forum, at the lack of much clue about cooking shown by all the body building participants while on PSMF...at least all my previous years of cooking low fat will serve me well in the time ahead! I found myself resurrecting what felt like ancient knowledge when thinking about this.LOL.
Back to cooking with stock, herbs, using lowfat yogurt for cream etc etc I am thinking I may use a bit of flaxseed oil to make a vinagrette for salads, given that EFA's are encouraged.
My George Foreman grill is going to be put to good use...

Thanks for the encouragement Nancy, away I go..

Val
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 19:35

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 182/169.5/150 Female 5feet 5 inches
BF:39%
Progress: 39%

Do I really have to spend the $20 to buy the e-book or can i just go fat free, high protein, under 1000 calories a day thing? I know I am being cheap, but I dont want to spend the money if I already "know" the general requirements.

If not, Ill buy the e-book and get this show on the road!
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 20:14
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power ~ Atkins
Stats: 189/180/163 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCookys
Do I really have to spend the $20 to buy the e-book or can i just go fat free, high protein, under 1000 calories a day thing? I know I am being cheap, but I dont want to spend the money if I already "know" the general requirements.

If not, Ill buy the e-book and get this show on the road!

I was wondering that myself, I am on a tight budget. Would that work?
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 20:22
Experimenter

BF:

Well, there are calculations to work out how much protein to have and then you have to figure out whether you're Cat 1-3 and some things are different depending on. Then the refeed has calculations and instructions too. Yeah, I think I'd be remiss if I didn't encourage you to get the book because the devil is in the details.

I've been stalled the last week, due to PMS issues I believe. I feel smaller though. Today I noticed I hardly have any belly fat when I'm laying down on my back.
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 21:24

I've thought about this. Because the estimate he uses for LBM and BF is so ballpark and not really very accurate, I think you can just eat about 100g-150g of protein a day including one or two serves of ff dairy , lots of very low GI veg, as close to no fat as possible. Keep the calories under 1000. The idea is to eat lean protein, good veg, and keep the protein up and fat and calories low. This business about exactly how much protein one eats is based on a very rough estimate of body fat, as is the category you are in. If you
are under 35% body fat you would give yourself one 'refeed' meal a week which means one carb-up as well as one free meal (anything). If like me, you are over 35% BF, its two free meals, no carbup.
If you have lots of fat to lose you can do this diet for about 3 months, then take a few weeks break. If you are leaner, best keep it to two months.

So this means egg whites, ff products etc., no nuts, and all the old low fat cooking tricks. For me, at 35-45% BF, I will be eating about 30-35g protein 3 times a day and try to eat good veg with each meal. Desserts- maybe diet jellos and puddings mixed with ff yogurt etc. Also whey isolate protein drinks done with skim milk are used by some of the folks on his forum.

But if you are unsure, get the book as Nancy says. But his main point is that there should be a big calorie deficit and good protein supplied.

The male body builders on his forum who are not more than 30%Bf and down from there, usually eat 2 tins of tuna at a sitting.
I think it is staggering that people with 19% BF are doing this to get leaner!! They definitely do the carb ups.

Oh, and no sugar alcohols...sucralose is fine. Thank goodness I love cottage cheese. I did a mushroom, egg white and cottage cheese scramble for lunch today with a protein shake. Dinner will be grilled chicken breast done with lemon and chile, on a salad (ff dressing)..

I sort of started it yesterday and the scale moved a bit in the right direction this morning for the first time in years. Mind you there is heaps of water loss as there always is, but net fat loss if you stick to it is good according to others' results.

Nancy has been a mine of information.

Val
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 05:42
Queen of Bouncing

Plan: Temp - PSMF
Stats: 240/198/135 Female 63"
BF:Who Knows
Progress: 40%

Well, today is my first day. This is going to be "interesting". I'm hopeful that it will do something to knock me out of this 6 month stall. It's going to be tough. I'm going to miss the full fat. I'm not a big veggie eater anyway and now there won't be much I can do to make them more palatable. I guess I'll be eating more salads. This will be doable, short-term. I'm glad it's not meant to be forever

ETA: I get two "free meals" a week. Do you think there is any problem with having them on the weekend, two days in a row?

Also, what did you think of his whole recommendations on the EC stack? Caffeine I *could* do, though I'm pretty much weaned off of it and hate to have to go through the withdrawal headaches again if I go back onto it, LoL.

Debbie

Last edited by Fhyreworks : Mon, Jun-20-05 at 05:53.
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 06:38
Registered Member

Plan: psmf
Stats: 180/159/129 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

so, i guess i dont really understand. is this a low carb, low fat, high protein diet or are carbs not the big issue?
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 06:44

Ok, Im trying it on my own! I visited his site and he gave some calculations on how much protein i needed a day. That in combo with fat free everything and calories under 1000 is going to be tough, but I start today! I suspect it will take this week to get under 1000 calories, but by the end of the week, I hope to be on my way!
Im bummed out because last week I bought two large containers of heavy cream, and now I dont know what to do with them. ARGGHH!
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 06:45
Registered Member

Plan: psmf
Stats: 180/159/129 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

never mind, duh, i just re read the first post. i guess i am just a little scared of dairy. how much has everyone lost?
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 06:46

Default Low carb, low fat, high protein..

Quote:
Originally Posted by admo
so, i guess i dont really understand. is this a low carb, low fat, high protein diet or are carbs not the big issue?

Carbs and fat are the big issue....you are only allowed lean healthy protein and LOW calories.
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 07:08

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%
Default supplements

If you're trying this without reading the book, you really ought to reconsider. For instance, he gives guidelines on how much of various different supplements you HAVE to take to avoid blood electrolyte problems. He also gives information on timing of free meals (and exactly what they are and are not) and refeeds.

I have had to refer back to the books (I actually have three of his books all with good information I use for this diet) quite often. It's actually a bit more complex than just "low fat low carb high protein".

www.bodyrecomposition.com

Oh, and in 2 weeks I have lost about 3 pounds, two the first week and one the last week. I am now back to the weight I've had listed below my avatar.
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 08:48
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCookys
Ok, Im trying it on my own! I visited his site and he gave some calculations on how much protein i needed a day. That in combo with fat free everything and calories under 1000 is going to be tough, but I start today! I suspect it will take this week to get under 1000 calories, but by the end of the week, I hope to be on my way!
Im bummed out because last week I bought two large containers of heavy cream, and now I dont know what to do with them. ARGGHH!

It is easier than you think. You get into ketosis and your appetite really diminishes.

I've had luck freezing heavy cream, then I use it for whipping cream after I defrost it.

Quote:
I sort of started it yesterday and the scale moved a bit in the right direction this morning for the first time in years. Mind you there is heaps of water loss as there always is, but net fat loss if you stick to it is good according to others' results.

It's nice to see that damn scale budge, isn't it? Who cares if its only water, the needle is moving!

I think I am hitting perimenopause, my period is getting really whacky. Anyway, I'm not sure but it seems to have gone completely AWOL this month. But I think I ovulated. Anyway, I did have a stall about a week after ovulation. But I had my free meal yesterday and I actually lost half a pound! That's a first.

I would try not to do free meals two days in a row but sometimes social life is such that you have to. I would think you might regain too much appetite and its a long span between the next one. But then again, do whatever works for you! To me, it works best to save them for social occassions and sometimes they come close together.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Jun-20-05 at 08:54.