Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-20, 10:30

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I do have a few cans of Spam but I'm sort of saving them in case I run out of fresh of frozen meat, but so far I'm still good in that department.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-20, 10:56

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I want to try it for breakfast with eggs but I would feel like I'm cheating on my bacon
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-20, 11:12

Plan: Atkins, Dr. Westman
Stats: 267/167/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 82%

I guess I am a picky eater but no way will I eat spam. It has grossed me out since I was a child and my mother tried (once) to fix it for us kids......nope, not me. For some reason the sight of it even bothers me. I really don't like many processed meats like that.

If pushed, I can eat tuna and canned chicken, but I don't want any sardines, potted meat or vienna sausages. My husband likes vienna sausages but I can't tolerate them. I guess we all have little idiosyncrasies about food. I also hate salmon......and its everywhere nowadays and everyone eats it. I just can't stand the smell. It even bothers me in a restaurant if a table near me orders it and the smell comes my way. I can't help it......its just in me. My mother used to make fried salmon patties when we were young and I survived by drowning them in ketchup. Once I left home salmon patties have not crossed my lips.

But spam? no way...........

I'd rather survive on eggs and peanut butter.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-20, 12:20

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangle
If pushed, I can eat tuna and canned chicken,

I love tuna, but I had to work to like the canned chicken. We get 2 cans in our Sr. Citizen food boxes every couple of months. Couldn't stand them in normal recipes. I finally worked out some lc recipes with the canned chicken & they're pretty good! So now I can use them instead of passing them on to someone else. One of these days I'm going to get those recipes written up to share with the other sr. citizens. Seeing as I'm stuck at home you'd think I'd get it done, but procrastination is hard to overcome.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-20, 12:20

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

For me eggs and PB are better than spam.

Fortunately, we buy at a warehouse club, and we have a freezer full which we are slowly eating down. We bought a 36 pack of TP (Scott 1000 sheets per roll because we have a septic tank) right before the panic. We don't use many paper towels or napkins (we wash cloth), and don't need medications. We never buy bottled water, it's just somebody else's tap water with micro-plastic added.

I've become completely unemployed, probably at least until October. The governor says live music isn't essential. All my March through August gigs are cancelled, September is the slowest month of the year and the first half of October isn't any better. March is usually our money month with February and April in second place.

So we are in economic self-isolation. It's not bad, my wife and I can be together 24/7/365 and still want more time together. The windows are open, it's mid 80s out, the birds are singing, there's food in the fridge, PB in the pantry, and it's better than getting that COVID disease.

But I won't buy Spam. I'd rather eat PB.

Bob
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-20, 12:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I love tuna, but I had to work to like the canned chicken. We get 2 cans in our Sr. Citizen food boxes every couple of months. Couldn't stand them in normal recipes. I finally worked out some lc recipes with the canned chicken & they're pretty good! So now I can use them instead of passing them on to someone else. One of these days I'm going to get those recipes written up to share with the other sr. citizens. Seeing as I'm stuck at home you'd think I'd get it done, but procrastination is hard to overcome.

I have a couple of cans of the chicken, I would think they would be good with mayonnaise, celery and green onions. I also love chic salad with dill weed and celery seed. Some of the famous Chic Salads also put chopped walnuts in it. some also put in halved grapes but not if you want it LC

Last edited by Meme#1 : Thu, Mar-26-20 at 12:33.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-20, 14:57

BF:

I didn’t think I’d ever eat Spam again until I went a few times to a local southern/Hawaiian fusion restaurant where fried Spam is one of their classic side dishes. I decided that I had to try it, and it tasted pretty good! I was surprised. It’s not normally something I would eat but in a lockdown pandemic it’s not one of the worst options I can think of 🤣
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-20, 17:26

Plan: Atkins, Dr. Westman
Stats: 267/167/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 82%

hubby and I used to buy the cans of chicken breast meat at Sams, and use it to make chicken salad. I think it was Swanson's. We have since moved on and now just cook the chicken breasts ourselves for the chicken salad. However, if I remember correctly, that chicken salad made with canned chicken was pretty darn good. I could do that again if we can't get fresh chicken.

Back in the 70's my ex mother-in-law used to buy canned hams. Anyone remember those? They had a little opener key that you would use to open the cans. The ham in side had this jelly stuff on it that you would scrape off. I remember that that tasted pretty good though I have never bought one myself and don't know if they still sell them that way.
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-20, 18:16

BF:

Normally I just boil a whole chicken, it makes a huge amount of chicken salad and no preservatives either.

About the canned ham, they still sell it, pretty low carb too compared to the sugar laden ones usually in the stores.

CVS drug store had it for $4.39 a one pound can, they're sold out now.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-20, 18:43

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Normally I just boil a whole chicken, it makes a huge amount of chicken salad and no preservatives either.

About the canned ham, they still sell it, pretty low carb too compared to the sugar laden ones usually in the stores.

CVS drug store had it for $4.39 a one pound can, they're sold out now.

And, of course, that jelly stuff that you "scrape off" is jellied broth, like what we look for when we make bone broth .
I have known Japanese (possibly here in town; possibly our friends in Japan; I really don't remember) who make rice balls with a piece of spam inside. Back when I was doing that I used a bit of fish. Good picnic food ... if you eat rice.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-20, 20:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
And, of course, that jelly stuff that you "scrape off" is jellied broth, like what we look for when we make bone broth .
I have known Japanese (possibly here in town; possibly our friends in Japan; I really don't remember) who make rice balls with a piece of spam inside. Back when I was doing that I used a bit of fish. Good picnic food ... if you eat rice.

Yes that jellied stuff, probably gelatin. What surprised me was that it's Less Than one gram of sugar/carb per serving
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-20, 21:15

BF:

I’d forgotten all about these canned hams, but now I remember them from years ago! Maybe something I’ll have to look for sometime if I ever go to a store again, and if the store is stocked. 😂
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-20, 08:52

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

In my best Frankenstein impersonation:

Canned ham - good.

Spam - bad.