Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-06, 14:46
Slightly foxed

Plan: Take over the world,Pinky
Stats: 284/275/224 Male 5'7"
BF:No, I'm straight
Progress: 15%

And let's not forget that God hates figs.
Quote:
* JESUS REBUKED THE FIG AS AN EVIL ABOMINATION.
"Now in the morning as he returned into the city, he was hungry.
"And when he saw a fig tree by the road, he came to it, and found nothing on it, but leaves only, and said to it, Let no fruit grow on you henceforward for ever. And presently the fig tree withered away.
"And when the disciples saw it, they marvelled, saying, How soon has the fig tree withered away!"
--Matthew 21:18-20

* JESUS COMMANDED US NOT TO EAT OF THE CURSED FIG.
"The next day, when they came from Bethany, he was hungry:
"And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if perhaps he might find any thing on it: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet.
"And Jesus answered and said to it, No man eat fruit of you hereafter forever. And his disciples heard it.
--Mark 11:12-14

* EAT A FIG, GO TO HELL.
"He destroyed their vines with hail and their sycamore-figs with sleet."
--Psalm 78:47

* GOD PROMISES TERRIBLE VENGEANCE FOR FIG-EATERS.
"Yes, this is what the LORD Almighty says: "I will send the sword, famine and plague against them and I will make them like poor figs that are so bad they cannot be eaten."
--Jeremiah 29:17

http://www.godhatesfigs.com/
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-06, 15:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

The whole pork as no no thing was explained in the amazing book 'Guns Germs and Steel '. In hotter desert climates (where all those bible books were written) pork was a bad scene cuz you couldn't refrigerate it and they would have to eat food reserved for humans. However, in the north, say Ireland, England, Scotland, Europe, etc, the pig was a terribly handy animal-they would wander the woods getting their own food and still come back daily when it was slop time. Sometimes, not all of them went back out, but hey. They have huge litters, need little care and grow VERY QUICKLY. And when our ancestors devised ways of preserving the meats with salt, smoking, and the like, they would keep for ages.

I dont doubt that many of the religious food bans had valid reasons for it-IN THE DAY. Lobster and shrimp, for example are/were verboten beause theyre bottom feeders, and someone explained a possible scientific reason for the no meat and cheese together rule. I have a suspicion the washing before praying 5 times/day thing had more to do with sanitation than religious purpose.

Nowadays, with sanitation, refrigeration and modern preparation techniques, are they really a problem?
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-06, 15:17
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

LOL! These web sites just crack me up. Maybe he just didn't like figs. Man, if he'd come out like that against wheat we could've saved a lot of human suffering. I'd say sugar too, but they probably didn't have refined sugar back then.
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-06, 15:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
LOL! These web sites just crack me up. Maybe he just didn't like figs. Man, if he'd come out like that against wheat we could've saved a lot of human suffering. I'd say sugar too, but they probably didn't have refined sugar back then.

But Nancy, doent it say in the Book of Armements that man should eat Breakfast Cereals in addition to other foods? And I quote:

ARTHUR:
Consult the Book of Armaments!
BROTHER MAYNARD:
Armaments, chapter two, verses nine to twenty-one.
SECOND BROTHER:
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, 'O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that, with it, Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits in Thy mercy.' And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and large chu--

Sorry if this seems sacreligious-as a Card-Carrying Athiest, Python scripts are as valid a book of instruction to me as the Bible.
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-06, 15:29

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Now if the human keeper has not removed the pig manure from the pen, and the pig needs to cool itself off, it will roll in what is available. This is not because the pigs wants to roll in its own excreatment, its because the human made it do so but not providing a clean living environment.

Funny because I was thinking about this just the other day. It occurred to me that this wasn't something that was exclusive to pigs. Most herbivores have no compunction against lying in their own excrement. Of all the barnyard animals, maybe only the pigs roll in it, to cool off, as was pointed out. But horses, cows will often lie in it without a care in the world. My sister has a horse and I remember her clucking in disapproval because he lied down in his manure and now she had to hose him down. And it's not because she was slack about keeping his box clean, and he had enough room in his box to sleep where it's clean.

And if you see animals in the wild, you often see that they are covered with mud or worse.

By contrast you'll never see a carnivore do that. That why crate training works well to train a dog to be clean. That's why cats are naturally clean. it's an evolutionary thing. If they were covered with excrement, they would announce their presence to any prey that is nearby (even more than usual).

Anyway, it's a city bias. Farmers get pretty used to being ankle deep in manure.
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 08:00

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%

This godhatesfigs.com is deliberately twisting the Scriptures. God doesn't hate figs. Cursing the fig tree that bore no fruit is symbolic of the person who will be condemned upon Jesus's arrival because they bore no fruit in their lives. Putting up such websites is one road to get closer to condemnation.
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 08:15

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Just a friendly reminder of this sticky, folks.
While discussion of diet and nutrition in Biblical times along with the historical context of dietary restrictions of the time and whether or not people would be better off eating in that manner today is fine, please keep it on topic.
  #68   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 09:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Actually, I think the figs web site is a parady of another web site with a similar name, took me awhile to make that connection. But suffice it to say figs are wonderful little fruits. I personally have wanted a fig tree for a long time. My parents had one and there's nothing quite as lovely as a fresh fig.
  #69   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 09:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 231.2/214/150 Female 71 in.
BF:yep, it's there!
Progress: 21%

Obviously, Jesus and everyone else from His time up until the 1950s ate WHOLE FOODS regardless of the section of the food pyramid. No refined sugars and flours, no over-processed, nutrient-deficient garbage. I believe that diets that contain carbohydrates can work for some people-but empty carbs work for NO ONE. I choose low-carb, but more than that, it is about whole foods. Also, I believe that Jesus, like many poor people, ate to live, not lived to eat.

Last edited by meimeicat1 : Sat, Jan-28-06 at 11:17. Reason: spelling
  #70   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 11:05

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%

I apologize for going off on the "religious" tangent here....

I like that phrase from meimeicat1, to eat to live and not to live to eat! This is where people make a mistake. They become obscessed with food, eating or not eating.
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 11:16
Registered Member

Well, I feel it is increasing difficult in today's world to NOT obsess about food. It is everywhere, shamefully convenient, and an integral part of our societal customs. Having said that, I adore food......but I want to be healthy and fit even more than I want to eat the bad for me (albeit tasty) garbage that passes for food these days! Believe you me, a McDonald's fry might make me "lose my religion"! LOL
  #72   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 12:25
Slightly foxed

Plan: Take over the world,Pinky
Stats: 284/275/224 Male 5'7"
BF:No, I'm straight
Progress: 15%

I hear he was very fond of dairy. Didn't he have a shop: Cheeses of Nazareth?
  #73   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 12:38
Registered Member

"Don't get saucy with me, Bearnaise."
  #74   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 14:01

Plan: whole foods (mostly)
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'8
BF:a little lower
Progress: 32%

Quote:
But horses, cows will often lie in it without a care in the world.

My dog will sometimes even eat it.