Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 16:59

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Talking Don't Let My Username Fool YOu!

I'm really just a meek, mild-mannered person trying to find her way to a more healthful life.

My first foray into the low-carb world came in 1999. I was feeling run down, lethargic, in a word, crappy. I was definitely a devotee of the low-fat myth. As a matter of fact, for years I hovered around 175 - 180. Then one summer I decided to do something about it once and for all. 1000 calories a day, 15 grams of fat, the rest dry bagels and pasta. Virtually no protein. My DH travels frequently, so most nights dinner was a huge plate of pasta tossed with a pat of butter and steamed zucchini and summer squash, topped with a smidgen of Parmesan cheese. Lunch was usually a salad, and breakfast was usually a dry bagel or toast.

You guessed it! My weight spiraled up to 190! My highest ever. Did I mention the 1 hour of strenuous step aerobics I was doing 5 days a week?

So one day I read an article about the importance of getting enough protein, and that (contrary to popular belief) women don't typically get enough protein in their daily diet. Protein? What's that? Then I stumbled across the first Protein Power book. I devoured it. I've studied human evolution and paleontology since the early 1980s. Did I ever put 2 and 2 together. Ummm. No.

Suddenly everything made sense. I followed the Eades' plan, and the weight virtually slipped off. It came off so quickly, DH often asked if I felt ok and was I sick. I got down to 160.

Then came a trip to Ireland, land of the potato and scones. OK, so I got used to eating those carbs again, and pretty soon I was back to 175. Then I discovered Dr. Atkins. His plan helped me get down to 155 fairly easily, and enabled me to maintain that weight for almost a year (also doing Body for Life). Then I started having a few too many free meals and free days and got back up to 175 (at least it wasn't back to 190!).

October 1 of this year, I finally got my head straight again and got serious. So far, I've lost 9 pounds so I'm down to 166. I'm on my way, folks!

So you'll be seeing me here and there, checking things out. This is an amazing board! So much information, I barely know where to start. I sure am looking forward to learning as much as I can, though. Everyone sounds so friendly and helpful.

Sorry this got so long. I'm a technical writer by profession, so once I start typing, it's hard for me to stop!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 17:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Welcome to the boards! Quite a few of us can comissirate with "carb creep" and the need to get back to basics. I just came back from a (or more) carb creep myself. This way of eating is really the best.

Glad you found us!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 18:10

BF:

Thanks, Talon. Carb creep? Heck, I was kidnapped and held hostage on the Planet Carbohydrate through the entire month of September! We had three weeks of conferences that I had to plan, coordinate, and attend. That left precious little time for eating anything other than what was catered in. I gained 5 pounds that month. With all the pastries and sandwiches I ate, it's probably surprising I didn't gain more.

But, I'm back on track now. My head is in the right place and I'm raring to make this work.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 18:22
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Welcome, BawdyWench:

I'm curious about where in "rural Maine" you are....my husband and I have spent a fair amount of time tent camping there, and I have a good friend who lives in Orland.

It does indeed sound as though you have your head screwed on right, and have done your research.

Good luck on this journey. You might want to start a journal....having one opens up all sorts of new vistas and fun and craziness!

Kay
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 22:05
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Love your username.

On and off, up and down... arguably, you're simply in maintenance.

Welcome aboard!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 18:25

BF:

Thanks for the nice welcome, everyone.

Tarheel, I'm in Norway, which is about an hour (55 miles) northwest of Portland. We're in the foothills of the White Mountains, and it's just breathtaking this time of year. Our town has a population of about 3,000. My husband and I grew up outside of Detroit, so this is our little piece of heaven. We moved to Maine about 18 years ago, and into our current house about 16 years ago. We have 45 acres of fields and woodlands next to a small lake.

Kristine, so you like my username, huh? Here in rural Maine, it's a common site to see a pickup parked at the side of the road with a sign and a few things to sell. So one day my DH and I are driving along and we see a guy sitting in a lawn chair next to his truck at the side of the road, and he had an assortment of winches for sale. His sign read, "Wenches for Sale." DH took one look at that and said, "If they're bawdy, I'll take two!" And a username was born!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 18:46
Give chance a chance

Hi and Happy Halloween, BW:

Great story about the username...here in NC there are a lot of farmers who grow cantaloupes and sell them beside the road. Sometimes it looks from the signs as though one might be able to purchase a mammal from Australia with a pouch that hops.

I know Norway. And Mexico. Both in Maine. We spend summers in Jefferson, NH (between Gorham and Lancaster, NH) What's your take on the idea of building an east/west highway in Maine? Aside from route 2, which has its charms.

If you ever do any camping, there is a wonderful, mostly unknown and unadvertised campground in Wilson's Mill, Me. on the Magalloway River. Huge sites, quiet place, a covered bridge closed to vehicular traffic. Very inexpensive, run by a delightful elderly couple. Between Errol, NH and the Rangely Lakes.

All best,

Kay

Last edited by TarHeel : Sat, Nov-01-03 at 13:54.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 19:11

BF:

Tarheel, all my friends call me "Bawdy," so you can too.

Yup, there's Norway, South Paris, Mexico, Denmark, Poland, and a slew of others too numerous to mention. Mainers don't seem to have much imagination when it comes to naming their towns.

We don't camp. Over the years I've become somewhat "high maintenance." Weekly manicures, high heels and suits for work, etc. Camping would be ok if I could still plug in my blow dryer, take a hot shower every morning, and do all those other things I'm accustomed to. For one thing, I never could understand how women pee outdoors without getting it all over themselves and their clothes. Oooo. Was that too graphic for this board? Sorry. But really. How do you do it? I've always wondered, and whenever I ask someone they think I'm kidding and don't answer me.

I'll have to check out that site, though. I do enjoy hiking.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 20:29

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Welcome Bawdy!!!

I'm a northerner, now living in NC. I grew up in MA, spent at least a week every summer growing up in Maine tho! Sebago Lakes, Portland, Bangor....love that state! My dad was born and bought up in Rumford....boy you could smell that place long before you could see it!

What's that line about you can travel all over the world just by visiting Maine?!

Quote:
We don't camp. Over the years I've become somewhat "high maintenance." Weekly manicures, high heels and suits for work, etc. Camping would be ok if I could still plug in my blow dryer, take a hot shower every morning, and do all those other things I'm accustomed to. For one thing, I never could understand how women pee outdoors without getting it all over themselves and their clothes. Oooo. Was that too graphic for this board? Sorry. But really. How do you do it? I've always wondered, and whenever I ask someone they think I'm kidding and don't answer me.

LOL you pee very carefully!!!!! I've camped for years....but not recently. I've seen people with lighted make-up mirrors, curling irons, port-a-potties. Me, I like a camper....tents are too buggy. I'd like to have one with it's own toilet, but so far I've only owned a pop-up. I use the camp bathroom during the day, but pee in the woods at night! LOL Nothing like squatting in the woods and seeing someone coming!!!! LOL The thing I hate about camping is the showers....they're too humid, too cold or hot (never can get the water temp right either!) I never feel really clean while camping....but that's half the fun too!

Welcome to the boards....you'll find a few of us that have recomitted. I'm on a personalized Atkins/Protein Power plan. And yep, I'm a returnee....found Atkins and PP last year and did great....then fell off the wagon and gained back all but 8 pounds. So far I've lost 21 pounds!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 06:06

BF:

See? You still didn't tell me how you actually do it!

Do you have to take your pants all the way off? Just one leg? What?
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 07:25
Give chance a chance

Default Everything you've ever wanted to know about peeing in the woods

Hi Bawdy:

I am not quite so high maintenance, but I do require campgrounds with really nice wash/restrooms (meaning very clean, adequate hot water, etc.) The one at Wilson's Mill is cleaner than my bathroom at home ever is....And they only have 28 campsites so usually one has the facilities to oneself. There almost always electrical outlets in the bathrooms and even at the individual campsites, but so far I haven't seen one with manicurists on site. Nevertheless, camping's not for everyone. It is not for the truly fastidious.....

But the pee-ing issue. I'm with Cindy as far as where you pee if it's day or night. And how far the campsite is from the restroom. Pee-ing with pants on requires pretty good balance and knees. A slight downhill slope helps. Be sure you are facing downhill instead of uphill. Or you can make sure you have a tree or car door right behind you in case you start to lose your balance. I use wet wipes, and throw the used tissue into the campfire when no one is looking.....

Often at night, I'm wearing a flannel nightgown. Then it's important to make sure it's bunched up well around your waist while you squat, or the hem is in grave danger of dampness.

Okay, so it's not a night at the opera---but those are the details about being "bush broken".

Kay
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 08:58

LOL Kay!

All I do is make sure the pants are down lower than my butt will be when I squat! LOL

I have bladder control issues....so I camp as close to the camp facilities as possible.....but there are lots of times when they're just too far away! I also look for camp sites that are fairly private. I hate places where you're packed in like sardines!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 10:57
Give chance a chance

Oh, YIKES!

I thought I was posting to BawdyWench's JOURNAL, not out here in the middle of public view....now I am embarrassed!

Wonder if I can get a moderator to assign me to the forum's witness protection program.....

Kay
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 12:33

LOL Kay!

Maybe we should change the name of the thread to how to pee in the woods without getting into trouble! LOL
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 13:09
Under Construction

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 245/148/140 Female 5'4"
BF:less/than/B4
Progress: 92%

LOL,
This thread is too funny!
I'm in PA and here we have some very interesting names for towns. Just locally we have Virginville, Blue Ball, and Intercourse. Good places to pick up a postcard.

I love camping too, but we have a log cabin. This is my favorite place on earth. There is a creek on either side of the cabin and they join together nearby. One is a spring with exceptional quality water for drinking. Currently there is only an outhouse but we are planning on adding a bathroom one of these days.

I agree, Bawdy needs a journal. A place to call home here on the forum. Good luck to you!