Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 11:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/122/110 Female 5 ft 3
BF:I wish I knew
Progress: 40%

I'm realizing how the important aspect of exercising is planning for it! So I'm making a point to schedule it into my planner.

Another rule I made is to do at least 20 minutes of SOMETHING everyday. Sometimes I get into these modes where I don't exercise for days. But just 20 minutes everyday for a week really adds up.

I remember during the summer I started jogging. I was terrible at it, and I hated it--it was painful. But I stuck through with it, and after a while, (believe it or not) it actually became enjoyable and something I looked foward to. For some reason or other I stopped cold turkey, and I'm back to square 1 of that "Painful" stage. But I remember the benefits so that's keeping me motivated.

If I can do it, anyone can!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 18:23
Registered Member

Stats: 196/180/140
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hello to everyone who has been on this thread... Nice to meet you all!!!

I just found this site today even though I started Atkins on the afternoon of the 16th. I'd like to get involved with this little support group if there's room for one more. I've lost 6 1/2 pounds in a week, actually since two days ago and then stayed there.

I'm doing the induction, but not following the menu in the book. Rather I'm picking off the induction list because I don't always have time to cook - or want to. My idea of cooking is broil a piece of meat and put veggies in the microwave. I guess that's because I cooked for my family for so many years that I don't want to bother anymore.

However, I must say that what I'm eating is getting pretty boring, especially breakfast - so I'll have to give it a little more of my attention. You see, if I think about food for any amount of time, I lose it and stuff myself. I sometimes smell food when there isn't any around. Yesteday at work I smelled chocolate chip cookies.. What a goof, huh?

The day after I started Atkins, I had such a bad headache that I couldn't get rid of. I didn't want to take Excedrin as it has caffein in it so I toughed it out. I sometimes get a headachy feeling now, but that's just about it... That makes me happy

This probably isn't too good of a time to join you, only because I'm going away for the weekend. After work Friday I'll be heading to Williams Bay, then I'll be home Sunday evening, so I probably won't have much time to be on before I leave. But the first thing I will do when I get back is head for this site.

You ladies have a great weekend!

Last edited by MerryWidow : Thu, Jan-23-03 at 19:19.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 20:44
Registered Member

Stats: 188/165/135
BF:
Progress: 43%

Just wanted to welcome all the new comers to this little group. It is a joy to come in and see that everyone has been here and updated us on how they are doing. Will post more in the AM it has been a long day here.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 20:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 247.5/236.5/130
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hello Hopeful!! I have been trying to post for the past two days but something wasn't letting me. I was totally going to start on the 21st but then I had to have cake on my birthday so tomorrow is my begin date...so can I just pretend I started on the 21st so I can be part of the club??? pretty please! hehe I am totally ready to start this thing, I have let my weight affect my life for too long. So I went out and bought two exercise tapes to do along with low carbing so my choices for tomorrow are A) Belly Dancing or B) Latin Dance. Any suggestions? I figured that they would be fun as well as a workout. I'll let you know how it works out for me. Hope everyone who started on the 21st are going strong! Goodbye for now.
Meghann
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 22:33
Registered Member

Hi everyone--great to see that everyone is posting and really looking for support.

I guess the important thing is that we're here for each other for motivation.

Maybe one thing we can ask each other is what our downfalls are? Just so we know what we need accountability in. I guess mine would be binging. Carbs or not, once I start craving food, I stuff myself. Just today I think I ate at least 3,000 calories b/c I had an urge to eat--the only good side to this was that none of it was carbs.

I know that my appetite is supposed to die down during Induction--but it's day 5 for me and I still have urges to binge. I wonder if its more of an emotional thing...

Anyway, Meghann and onceiwas: Happy birthday!
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 23:55
Registered Member

BF:

I'm back, and had a very nice time while in Williams Bay. First I'll let you know what my downfalls are, then I'll tell you something I had to eat in a restaurant there that was so delicious, yet it's on the Atkins induction list.

Ok, here goes. One of my downfalls is that I just plain love food. If it tastes good, I want to eat it. The second is that if necessary, (ha-ha) I could live on junk food. Now mind you, I do not have any junk food in my house, because I know if I did, I'd eat it. But the people I work with are constantly bringing food and so because I have a hard time not eating what they bring, I take my turn to bring treats too. We also celebrate birthdays (more food). Oh yes, there are 30 people in the department I work in, and since I've been there (1 1/2 yrs.) I've gained almost 20 lbs.

But since I've started on Atkins, it has been easier to not eat any treats that were brought in. However, if you put a hot fudge sundae in front of me, I don't know if I could resist that, or even chocolate. Right now, I think because the food is 20 feet away from where I work, and I don't look at it, that helps. And I try not to look at the people who are eating the treats. So far I haven't cheated and I'm proud of myself for that.

Now to tell you what I had to eat. We went in this one restaurant, cute little place called the Igloo. They had mainly sandwiches and soup for lunch. We let the waitress know we were on a diet and ordered a chicken breast sandwich without the bun or the fries. When we got our meal, the waitress had given us a small salad in place of the carbs we didn't want. Our plate looked wonderful, and tasted as good as it looked. The chicken breast was layered with swiss cheese, 2 slices of bacon on top of that, and then 3 slices of tomato, and then broiled. I think they had a little mayo on it for moisture. It was so goooood that I'll be making it at home!

Has anyone else found something really good to eat and at the same time is acceptable on the induction? Let's share! I'm also interested in knowing what you all eat for breakfast. Personally, as much as I like eggs, I'm getting sick of them. And I really don't want fish for breakfast. I don't have much time to prepare food in the morning as I do work... what do you all do? I'll be anxiously waiting to hear from you. Carol
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 08:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 153/140/130 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress: 57%
Talking

Hi everyone, I started on the 22nd and so far i have lost 2lbs.I am using fitday to log what i eat each day.I do find it very difficult to incorporate a variety of foods I am mainly eating chicken,fish, for lunch and an omelette or steak in the evening.
Breakfast is a no no during the week as i can never face food in the morning.

I am in ketosis since friday(checked friday evening) and i started on Wed morn the 22

I also think I am not eating enough calories or carbohydrate i am averaging at around 12grams per day, and my calories are averaging around 900 per day.

I cant imagine eating anymore than that as i am definitely feeling the effect of appettite suppression.

I am pleased with my 2lbs loss in the first five days even though i had said i would weigh myself every two weeks .....

Good luck everyone.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 22:03
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Marygcupof...

I noticed that you are from Ireland. I was there last September and it was just wonderful. The people I went with want to go back but not on a tour this time as we were moving around every day - never staying in the same place. Too much time on the bus, you see. Ireland is a great place to go on vacation and I would recommend it to everyone!

Congratulations on losing more weight!

One thing I haven't done yet and I keep meaning to except I keep forgetting, is to buy those ketostix. I think that's the name of them. I've been losing weight but I don't know if I'm in ketosis... is that the word I'm looking for? Today I finally found the flax seed. And at Dominicks of all places. It was in their organic section which isn't all that big. So now I have one more thing to eat on the induction. I understand that it really tastes good, so I'm anxious to try it.

Well, I'll sign off for tonight as it's getting late, have a good evening everyone.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 22:39
Registered Member

WEll, I hit a pitfall this past weekend. (Can refer to my journal). So here I am AGAIN, starting over AGAIN. But I am really determined to get this right--the progress of everyone else here is motivation to me.

Keep up the good work everyone,
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 21:39
Registered Member

BF:

Hello Hopeful,

I'm not sure how to get around on this site very well, so could you tell me how to find your journal?

I'm glad you decided to "pick yourself up, brush yourself off and start all over again!" Hmmm, gee, does that remind you of a song? Or maybe you're a little too young to remember it. LOL!
Anyway, Hooray for You!!! for starting again.

You know you can really do this if you set your mind to it... I hope you don't have any friends that mean well but steer you off your diet. I work part time, and several of the ladies in my department are dieting, so that helps some I guess. And I really don't have any treats in my house so I can't cheat when I'm home. It's harder to do that when you have a family. But that doesn't mean that I don't get cravings anymore... I do have to say that I don't get cravings as much as I used to. And that's a good thing. And the same thing will happen to you too.

How did you get that cute picture by your name? I notice other people have them too.

Well, that's all for tonight... and I hope everyone on this thread has a great weekend...
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 18:53

Stats: 187/187/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Post the support club

Hey there... fairly new to the forum.. and just read this tread...

I started Atkins on the 29th of Dec... (as well as my husband)
I have lost 10lbs.. hubby almost 20 # but I find for my self it is slow ... and many days I have felt like... is this really worth it?? but then I tell my self... I really am doing good.. cause 10lbs in a month is really very good... buy normal standards... and I have never gone hungry... as I would on other cal reduced diets... I also "feel" smaller... and better... so there... the dedication to the plan continues...

That would be great if I could pop into your group from time to time... the feed back you all give, lets me know... I am not alone in my struggles ... and Victories...

Keep up the great support..

#27   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 10:52
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Lioness,

Glad you noticed the thread... We all need support from time to time, and just talking about it to others in the same situation as we are helps sooo much.

I think it's great that you and your hubby went on this diet together. It means so much not to have others eat the things you love in front of you when you can no longer have them. I'ts always easier for men to lose weight... or at least 99% of them, and that's a proven fact. Usually all they have to do is quit eating the cookies, or drinking that can or two of beer each night and the weight drops off really fast. I think they may also be a little more active during the day than we are. If we work, we usually have sitting down jobs and need to invent ideas to get away from our desks. But I think you're doing great! And I'm glad to hear you're going to keep going.

I have been sticking to the "plan" religiously and in the last day found that I gained 1 1/2 lbs. I think it's because I didn't drink hardly any water... so I'm going to get serious about that again. I am not a water drinker, so to drink those 8 glasses a day was an accomplishment to me, and I can see I went back to my old ways. But today, I drink water... lots of it!!! Friday I had laser done on my eye to remove a large floater, so I wasn't moving around too much. The light is so bright when they shine it in your eye (and of course glare bothers me), that it just makes me feel so "spent". But everything is ok today, and I'm loving it that the floater is no longer getting in the way of my vision, so it was worth it!!

If you would like to join a second thread there is more activity in "Hello... I'm new, too!!!". I'll be staying on this one, too, but you're the first message in about a week on it. Well, I hope people start posting again. I'll be watching for them. Anyway, we'll talk again... Nice to meet you!
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 17:00

Stats: 187/187/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile The club

Thanx MerryWidow... for the lovely reply... and your encouragement... we all can use that...

I too am not a water drinker ... but am try again... starting today to get in my 8 glasses... so far so good... I'm at 4...

My Hubby and I also went out to find pork rinds... as I read on another thread that they were 0 carb.. wo0o0h0o0o and if you grate on some cheese.. they are just like Nacho's... and the sour cream we have is only 1.6 per 2 tblsp... so we shared... it was really good... Have you tryed this? .... I think it would be great ... l ike if you want a snack while watching a movie... or something...

Thanx also for the heads up on the other thread... I will check it out soon... posted a fair bit yesterday as I was reading through all kinds

I wish you speedy recovery from your eye surgery...

ciao ..