Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 15:31

Plan: atkiens
Stats: 213/213/150
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile Australia

Hi,

Are there any Low Carbers from Australia out there, I would like to find out what products other people are using. It is way to expensive to buy low carb products from overseas.

regards
Lea
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 22:37
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile

hi there Lea,

Your post was hiding way down in the testing forum. I've moved it here to the Australia/ New Zealand section where folks can find you and help you out

Happy Low-carbing!

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 00:50
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Smile

Hi Lea,

Welcome to the forum and to a great new WOE (way of eating).

If you've only just started Atkins, that means you're in Induction at the moment, and therefore are best to stick to exactly what the good Dr prescribes in his book for now.

I'm not convinced that you need a lot in the way of "low carb products." I rarely bother with eating anything other than fresh meat, fish, vegies and occasionally cheese anyway.
I have seen several people say they don't like the Atkins bake mix eg.
Still, I'm sure some other folk will come along and tell you what they do.

Lea, how about starting a journal here. That way you can keep track of your progress and friendly folk are bound to drop in. I've made heaps of new friends that way.
Go to the Bootcamp section and have a read of others' journals.
Info on how to start a journal here.

Good luck to you, Lea.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 05:44

Stats: 320/270/180 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Hi Lea

I have tried the Atkins Bake Mix and to be honest, wouldn't bother buying it again. It was quite expensive and I thought it tasted foul. I have also tried the high protein, low carb bars but as is mentioned all over these forums, these do contain hidden carbs and can cause a stall in weight loss.

You just need to experiment with recipes and once you get used to this WOE you will find that you are able to adapt recipes to suit. There are heaps of recipes on this site as well as others.

I tend to try to stick to fresh ingredients, but some useful additions are "Rosella" brand artifically sweetened tomato sauce only available from Coles supermarkets, diet jellies (which are handy to have in the fridge to have with a dollop of cream if you really feel like desert), I also buy Country Life "Alpha Life" bread from a local health food shop which is low in carbs.

Maz
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 02:17

Stats: 249/193/160
BF:
Progress: 63%
Talking Hi!

I generally eat no "lo carb" products per se, though I just discovered some icecream by Peters.

Normally I just eat lots of vegetables, small portions of meat, and make things taste yummy with a couple of lower carb sauces or by using spices. SinSin Stir Fry Wok Sauce is something I use every few days, as well as the Nando's Lemon Peri Peri Sauce.

If you focus on what isn't available here, or what you can't eat, then this, like any other WOE is going to suck. If you focus on all the yummy things you can now eat with confidence it is so much more fun.

I have currently stalled while my body catches up to my weight loss, but since I am eating food I love all the time, it is very easy to remain dedicated to my overall objectives regarding Atkins.

Good luck and hope to see you regularly.

Luv

Rey
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 22:48
Registered Member

Stats: 179/170/135
BF:
Progress: 20%
Lightbulb Low-carb softies (aspartame free!)

Hi there,

I found somewhere on this site a few months back a mention of Golden Circle fizzy drinks made with Splenda (so none of the yukky aspartame). I went in search and soon found some and they're pretty good. They help me a lot when I need a sweet something (which is often!). Splenda does have a bit of carb in it, but I'd rather this than aspartame any day.

So far I've seen the GC cans in Bi-Lo and I think Coles have it (maybe Woolies too, not sure).

Hope this helps!