Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 13:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/130/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 113%
Default Is it SAFE to TTC and eat LC?

I have gotten so much slack on Fertility Friend ( A charting site, and support forum for TTC ) for TTC and starting to eat LC. I did this for my health, and becuase I noticed that my weight was starting to take over my whole body. I was told that it was actually dangerous and that I would not be able to conceive on a LC lifestyle...is this true?

Thanks...

Amanda
Start weight - 156.5
Current weight - 148.5
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 15:03
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

It is absolutely safe! In fact, a lot of women are put on a low-carb diet by their doctors to control PCOS (not sure what that is but it has something to do with infertility). I was doing 30 net carbs a day when I got pregnant and have tried to stick with an Atkins Maintenance-style diet through the pregnancy, and everything is looking super. I was even on The Pill when I got pregnant.

Getting to a healthy weight and eating properly is the best thing you can do for your future baby.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 15:34

Plan: LF/LC
Stats: 254/191.5/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

It isn't a problem at all.

Women who have PCOS like HilaryM mentioned are often put on LC diets to help control their insulin levels which can lead to ovulation (PCOS is polycystic ovarian syndrome).

When you get pregnant, just make sure you follow the maintenance phase and incorporate good carbs into your diet.

Good Luck to you!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 18:09
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi Amanda. I was doing Atkins Induction (20 g or less per day) when I got pregnant with my daughter. I maintained a carb level of 70 to 80 g per day while pregnant - except for the last 2 weeks when I was either really hungry all the time or not hungry at all. She was born at a healthy 7 pounds, and has had no problems since.
Losing weight is often one of the hurdles that can hamper fertility, so finding a way to do that healthily (low carb) is one of the best thing you can do to increase your chances.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 06:16

BF:

Thanks girls! I really aprriciate your responses.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 06:29
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Hi,
I wanted to add, I realized I was pregnant when I was about 5 weeks along, and had been in ketosis that whole time. I upped my carbs to maintenance (and then well beyond, thank you morning sickness!), and I did worry a little if those first few weeks in deliberate ketosis would affect the baby. Nope! He was a healthy 8lbs, happy and wonderful. Good luck to you!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-05, 19:33

Plan: SBD
Stats: 159/138.5/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Just wanted to say, I go to FF too
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 12:50

Plan: Atkins-maintwhilepregnant
Stats: 201//135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

I don't know if it will be helpful to you over a month later, but my DH and I have been TTC for 5 mo. I was doing low OWL, maybe 35g/day (losing 5lb/mo). Since Xmas, I have been eating more like 40g/day, and losing weight a LOT more slowly (2lbs/mo), and just this month, finally, success.

so it is possible that really lower carb levels in some people might have an effect. or it could just be that we/I needed 5 mo for my body to agree to get pg...
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-05, 14:45

Stats: 210/210/160 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I also use FF.com but I don't chat there much. I really just like seeing people get their bfp's. I did Atkins for about a year, lost almost 40 pounds but then gained some back when I stopped. I'm not sure why I stopped. Anyways, we've been TTC #1 for the past little while with no success and I figure it's because I put the weight back on and have been eating WAY to much junk. Actually I did get 2 bfp's (positive pregnancy tests) but soon after got TOM. So, now I'm back to eating LC (only 5 days) and hopefully losing a little weight will aid in TTC. I'm glad to hear about the success stories of people LCing and conceiving.

Allison
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 07:08

BF:

I TTC #1 for about 8 months. It was really tough. We had actually totally given up when I found out I was pregnant. I am not really TTC now because this WOL has messed with my ovulation a bit and I do think I may be too low carb at this point to conceive. But, once I go on to eating 40+ carbs a day I think I will start to try again. It is soooo emotional. Before Low Carbing, I tried for about 6 months. I had never really lost all the weight from my DD. (I had come down a lot because I weighed about 205 when I delivered, but still had about 20 lbs to go) Now I am only 7 lbs from my goal and hoping that I will be down there by this summer so I can start anew again TTC. The journey is not an easy one though. I just can't figure out why a normal, healthy 24 year old cannot conceive within the first 6 monhts. I chartted, I temped, I have a fertility monitor. It just seems like it should be a snap...know what I mean?

Anyway...enough venting!

Alli Have you gone to the Dr get to have a preconception check up? You should tell them about your BFP's because they could be (and probably are if they were clear bfps) chemical pregnancies. You could have Low Progesterone and it is always worth a quick check up. Sometimes it is as easy as that.

Thanks for you support ladies!