Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 04:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 201/154/140 Female 5ft4inches
BF:yes it is
Progress: 77%
Question artificial sweeteners

I was wondering if it is o.k. to have aspartame if you are on Atkins? (which I am). It would open a whole new world to me if you are because I am really missing diet drinks and other things which contain aspartame instead of sugar. Atkins just says in his book that "we discourage the use of aspartame because of questions about it's safety" but I have done some research of my own and I am willing to take my chances (in moderation as with everything) but will it affect my rate of weight loss? I think others use it as sugar free jellies and things have been mentioned and they contain the evil aspartame too. HELP Hev
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 02:02

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up Artifical Sweetner

Hev

In the UK splenda has only recently become available and as yet is not incorporated into any foods. I have had aspartame in the form of squash, jelly, and for sweetner in desserts, since I started and have not found it affects my weight loss. This is something only you can find out for yourself. It affects some and not others, causing them to stall. I've never been into fizzy drinks, so have never had any from that source.

I suggest keep the aspartamene elements in moderation and if you find that your weight loss stalls this is one avenue to explore removing.

Every success.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 07:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 201/154/140 Female 5ft4inches
BF:yes it is
Progress: 77%
Wink

Thanks littleanne,
I've got through the worst it must have been my body getting rid of all the sugar that was driving me mad . I've decided to do without until I'm over induction and try a little in a few weeks. Weigh in tonight fingers crossed!