Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-11-05, 15:26
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF/Atkins/Paleo
Stats: 308/250/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Question Meat & egg fast and Refeeding

Ok, so I was reading a bit on this meat and egg fast that some people seem to be doing in order to help them through stalls. Is this even safe? Wouldn't your body think that it's going into starvation mode?

I also heard that some people 'refeed' by eating whatever carbs they want for a day or two then go back on induction to help jump start weight loss after a stall. Wouldn't your blood sugar go nuts?

Anyone have any info on these?

Jarcat
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-11-05, 17:14

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I'm doing Stillman's at the moment which is similar to the meat/egg fast. It is a good stall buster...but yes, I only do it for 5 days at a stretch because I don't want the starvation reflex to kick in.

I've tried the carb up thing. It doesn't work for me. It just brings back cravings, gives me heartburn and makes me feel terrible. It also makes me gain weight and doesn't kick start anything.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-11-05, 17:17
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Haven't tried the meat & egg fast, the egg fast or the fat fast.

However, tried the so-called "re-feed/carb up" and that sure didn't work. Ended up gaining and requiring another week or so to lose the weight I gained from one day of "re-feeding". I won't be doing that again.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-11-05, 17:28
Absolutely!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 284/262/150 Female 66 inches (5'6")
BF:
Progress: 16%

My experience is absolutely the same as your, Citruskiss, as far as the re-feed thinger goes.

However, I do like the meat and egg fast. I only do it for a day or maybe two and then things seem to kick back in.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-11-05, 17:29

Stats: 235/235/130 Female 5'6
BF:42%/37%/20%
Progress: 0%

I lost 3 pounds in three days doing the meat and egg fast. Surprisingly it really wasn't too difficult. I will probably try it again just make sure to keep hardboiled eggs handy. At least that's what made it easy for me. I haven't regained anything.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-11-05, 17:38

Stats: 275/224/140 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%
I am doing the meat and egg fast right now, I only do it for a few days at a time and it really seems to help me when I get in a stall, but to each their own. I have never tried the re feeding. It just didn't sound logical. I am trying to teach myself to eat mostly protein and then I am gonna go and re feed with food I am trying not to eat? But with the meat and egg fast, I am eating mainly protein and that is what I want my body to do, use protein and not sugar for fuel. Like I said to each their own, each one of us is on a journey to find that inner person. I try to always remeber each of us are different and that is what makes us so special.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-11-05, 23:31

Plan: Atkins - Modified
Stats: 330/330/280 Female 5'6
BF:

I do both and they usually work. Don't particularly like doing the refeeding anymore though, makes me depressed LoL. I liked the meat/egg fast though, ate very well. I lost about 4.5lbs in 3 days and am hoping to see some weekly progress. The meat/egg fast is perfectly safe for a few days (5 is the max I would do, IF i could even make it that long LoL), it should NOT be used as a long term weight loss plan.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-11-05, 23:36
Registered Member

BF:
Question How do you do the meat and egg fast?

Ok so with the meat and egg fast what can you have during the fast? Can you have olive oil and season salt and butter on your meat and eggs? I also need my one cup of coffee first thing in the morning with Splenda and cream, is this ok? What about splenda sweetened drinks? Or is it strictly plain meat, eggs, and water?

Is this meat and egg fast in dandr? Can anyone give me a typical menu for the day?

Thank you

Jarcat
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-05, 00:26

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcat
Ok, so I was reading a bit on this meat and egg fast that some people seem to be doing in order to help them through stalls. Is this even safe? Wouldn't your body think that it's going into starvation mode?

I also heard that some people 'refeed' by eating whatever carbs they want for a day or two then go back on induction to help jump start weight loss after a stall. Wouldn't your blood sugar go nuts?

Anyone have any info on these?

Jarcat

I personally find a meat/egg fast or a refeed too extreme for what I am comfortable with, but I have found that lowering my carbs for a few days at a time got the scale moving for me again.....the same general idea but still well within my LC plan.

I only do this when I am truly not hungry for carbs tho, I don't starve. When I feel like I need something more (again, within my LC plan), I eat.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-05, 06:30

The meat and egg fast is not official. It is something low carbers have invented themselves. In the Stillman's diet you can have any meat, eggs and fish but you try to keep the fats low. When I do it I do drink coffee but I use unsweetened soy milk as Stillman's is also low fat. I also drink flavoured water (in large amounts).

A typical day for me would be:

Breakfast. 2 eggs (scrambled with a little soy milk) and a bradwurst (I can get real German ones which are almost carb free) or bacon or a piece o chicken.

Lunch: Some deli meats rolled up with very low fat cream cheese or pate in the middle and a chciken drumstick or some hard boiled eggs. Some weightwatchers very low fat cheese

Dinner: A steak or chicken portion or pork chop or some fish. Dessert - sugar free jello or fat free fromage fresh with a little sf syrup on it.

Supper: a cup of cocoa made with soy milk and sweetener.

From time to time I have a porridge made with flax seeds, bran and ground almonds to get the system working.

Why not try it for 3 days and see what happens?
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-05, 10:59

BF:

This is what I ate on the meat/egg fast:

BREAKFAST: 3 eggs scrambled w/ sausage mixed in

LUNCH: 1 chicken leg w/ hot sauce OR 2 hamburger patties w/ mayo

DINNER: 2 chicken legs OR 2 country pork ribs

SNACK: anything else I had like deli roast beef, left over roast pork (including the pork skin), etc

In terms of what you can eat with it its really your personal choice. You're supposed to not have more than 5g carbs so think a coffee in the morning is doable.

I MUST have spices on my food so I was eating hot sauce, garlic, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt, pepper, etc. I also drank diet soda while doing it, but mostly I reserved it for the night time when I need sweet stuff the most and drank water the rest of the day. Its really up to you, ya know?
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-05, 12:38
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you for all your input guys. I think my husband, who is also on Atkins with me, and I are going to try the meat and egg fast. He seemed pretty eager to try it even if we only last a couple days. Hope this kick starts our weight loss again because I'm getting a little bit flustered with workin my butt off and nothing is happening.

Now I still wasn't sure if I'm allowed to use butter and olive oil?

Anyone?

Jarcat

PS What about s/f jello made with splenda?
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-05, 13:37

That is up to you. If you are stuck then it might be a good idea to keep the calories on the lower side and skip them. I still lose when I eat more fats on Stillman's but not as fast.

By the way, it often seems to me the more eggs the more you lose!

I see no reason why you shouldn't eat sf jello made with splenda. Mine is made with a sweetener which is very unpopular on this board and I lose just fine.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-05, 18:46

BF:

Yeah I'm sure butter & olive oil are fine. I didn't know SF jello was made with splenda now. I just use the standard SF jello (I think it's asperteme?) and have no probs with it (but I'm not really a jello fan in the first place LoL).
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-05, 20:38

Stats: 215/204.8/160 Female 170 cm
BF:
Progress: 19%

Hi all

Some of you guys doing m/e fast experienced any constipation problem? If I wann things moving I need a lot of fibre!

Any suggestions?

Thanks