Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-18, 12:50

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Their help center page has linked to chat and phone contact.

Here's the online representative number: 866-579-7172.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-18, 10:27
Registered Member

Plan: Carnivore-ish
Stats: 265/255/190 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnut

I enjoyed watching the movie but I'm concerned that they aren't telling the whole Truth.

I watched the whole movie and I clearly recall them stating that they were using the diet IN ADDITION TO other therapies.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-18, 12:18
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashta
I watched the whole movie and I clearly recall them stating that they were using the diet IN ADDITION TO other therapies.

I remember her saying it was diet alone then at the end of her segment, they asked her if she had hair and she said yes. Honestly, I didn't believe her. Why not just show your hair if you have it?
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-18, 12:34

BF:

Just seeing the before and after videos of the two children brought it home for me. Their expressions, actions, their talking.

#35   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-18, 12:38

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Update from Pete's Facebook page (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Hi everyone (including the AMA and mainstream media.). I am pleased to announce that after speaking with Netflix today, they have decided to release The Magic Pill globally across their platforms in different languages. They have also decided to also extend the contract for another year instead of the initial 12 months first offered, as it is performing extremely well in the USA, UK, Canada, Australia and NZ. Also you can now purchase THE MAGIC PILL on DVD and blu Ray from
amazon and have it shipped worldwide. These are my copies that just arrived today and I will be doing a giveaway later this week. So now if you would like to play the movie in your homes, schools, offices, hospitals or anywhere, or give as a gift to someone, you now also have the opportunity. Thank you to everyone, once again for helping to spread the message of this important film.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-18, 13:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav
Update from Pete's Facebook page (emphasis mine):
Awesome!

#37   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-18, 16:55
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawNut
I remember her saying it was diet alone then at the end of her segment, they asked her if she had hair and she said yes. Honestly, I didn't believe her. Why not just show your hair if you have it?

I thought the same thing about her hair and also found it fishy. But I believe it was the narrator that was the one that said these people were using other therapies as well as altering their diets.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-18, 00:59

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

I haven't seen this yet. It's hard to imagine that a keto diet would not be good for just about anyone.
Whether it can positively influence serious pathologies is a much more tricky question and needs a lot of good research. It would be going way out on a limb to claim that it can cure cancer without really good evidence to back up the claim, even though there is a plausible scientific theory about glucose and cancer cells. I'm not a biologist or a medic so I can't make a judgment about that. I'll try and watch the film though.
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-18, 03:11

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Grav...best news of the day!!

RawNut and Pasha, Orthodox Jewish women cover their hair once they marry because the Torah states that a woman's hair is sensuous and should be viewed only by her husband.
Walnut linked her blog in post #11...no surgery, radiation or chemo. Cryo Ablation is not standard of care, my criticism about the movie before the AMA. There are many stories to be found on line where the Ketogenic Diet enhances standard of care, and they are now being published as case studies. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=480470 Pete could have used any of these.

Dr Fine offers a more balanced view of what Keto may or may not offer and to only certain cancers. I have a document of resources on Keto and Cancer...this is how it begins: There is no data to support that the ketogenic diet by itself can treat, cure, maintain, or manage cancer, nor that it supports treatment of the many different types of cancer. In animal studies, the diet provided some synergistic effects with treatments, including current treatment like radiation therapy and chemotherapy. From Dr Colin Champ's 2018 update:
http://colinchamp.com/the-ketogenic...-stand-in-2018/. My document then goes on for 7 pages of links positive to Ketogenic diets, but only in addition to standard of care, or when treatment options have been exhausted/not available.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jun-07-18 at 08:56.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-18, 08:00
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Janet, thanks for the tidbit on Orthodox Jews. I did not know that.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-18, 08:16

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

Janet, the Colin Champ link is really good. Thank you for that. I had a friend, whom I hadn't seen for many years, who when I made contact again had just had a brain tumour diagnosed after having surgery and chemo for lung cancer. I tentatively suggested a keto diet as an adjunct to his other treatments. He got the go-ahead from his doctor and tried it. Sadly, two weeks later he died. This is purely anecdotal I know and proves absolutely nothing. Perhaps it might have done more good at an earlier stage, perhaps not. I think if I got a cancer diagnosis I would certainly try to go keto (at the moment I am just low carb and feeling many benefits from that).
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-18, 09:11

Plan: LCHF/IF
Stats: 268.8/242.4/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Janet, I'm glad you mentioned about the Orthodox Jewish custom. I was coming on here to say that. The interviewer even asked if she was keeping her hair covered for religious reasons, not because of chemo, and she answered yes. It was kind of hard to hear his question, though.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-18, 09:14

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

There also is a big difference between a GBM type brain tumor that originates in the brain, and what is called a lung cancer brain metastases. When the origin of a brain metatases is from another site (lung and breast are the common ones) the prognosis is not good. But I agree, keto is certainly worth a try if diagnosed, and I use it, with my doctor's support, on the chance it will prevent a recurrence.

DietDoctor post about the Netflix decision:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/the-amas...-pill-backfires

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jun-07-18 at 13:13.
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-18, 11:38
Registered Member

BF:

Yeah, I didn't hear him ask that question, Suzy. Thanks for the info, Janet.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-18, 17:55

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Good news. As people take a stand based on repeatable evidence that flies in the face of conventional wisdom, conventional wisdom adapts. This is one example of just that. Glad Pete was proactive on this, as we all need to be.