Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-11, 11:03

Plan: Atkins- leaning Paleo
Stats: 182/154/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Winter???
...It's still 90's here...

You blow South,
I'll blow North,
We can hope for 70's?
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Mon, Nov-21-11, 11:29
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

I just wanted to thank everyone who posts here- this thread changed the kind of magnesium I take. It made a difference. I still am not sparkly but I was able to double my daily dose without any negative issues.
thanks again-
E
  #108   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-12, 08:29
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

pureformulas.com is having a half price sale on Drs Best products.
  #109   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-12, 16:16

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Just wanted to add a friend of mine has a son who is concerned about his friend with Tourette's; sudden onset and the drugs don't seem to help. Did a little research and came up with two papers that pinned such on very low magnesium; forwarded them on in case it's helpful.
  #110   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-12, 17:45

Plan: whole food
Stats: 178.2/155/149 Female 5'10.5
BF:
Progress: 79%

Don't know how I missed this thread - I just searched last week!!

I guessed and ended up with the wrong kind - a NOW liquid gel cap blend of chelated citrix, malate and glycinate but it's actually helped quite a bit with my sleeping and I had been waking up with really painful joints in my hands and now they seem only stiff...am in line for a knee replacement so I had tried this to see if I had any relief for that and that hasn't happend but I'm not giving up! I'm trying to find a source for the chelated glycinate locally but if not I'll order the Dr's best that seems to be the popular item.

So amazing what you find out when you actually start paying attention to your body!
  #111   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-12, 09:36

Plan: Atkins Carb Counter
Stats: 000/000/130 Female 5'-7
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
There's very compelling evidence (thanks, Hutch!) about magnesium supplementation being vital for health, but my first attempt, with plain ol' magnesium, was very similar to eating one of those sugar alcohol candies... only one that was three stories tall.

If you know what I mean.

So I ordered some chelated magnesium, and took it last night. While I did get some, ya know, (activity,) it was no more than a bran muffin used to do, so I'm fine with that. And this reaction is supposed to moderate as I continue to take magnesium, I understand.

What amazed me was about two hours after I took it... I got this wave of calm, followed by a wave of warmth. The whole thing lasted like an hour!

And it felt good.

So, I will continue to keep up with it, and see how it goes. But I was rather impressed; it's supposed to make all your electricity work better. I'd say it does!

Be careful how much you take, your kidneys can't process a lot of magnesium and when I take it too close to bedtime, I get these really vivid dreams. I don't like those.
  #112   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-12, 10:59

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

For the past 2 days, I've been drinking magnesium water (ionic magnesium), and each time, my muscles felt like they turned to jelly. I had to cut a workout short yesterday because of this. I don't usually experience this kind of muscle relaxation unless I take an epsom salts bath, and I have been attributing the reaction to the hot water as much as the magnesium. I don't react this way to magnesium supplements or magnesium in my food (about 325-350 from food each day).

I know that magnesium is a muscle relaxant, but my degree of relaxation is strong. Am I just on the far end of some bell curve? Is it possible that I just don't absorb Mg well from food or supplements? Or Is this reaction a danger sign of something else?
  #113   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-12, 12:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
For the past 2 days, I've been drinking magnesium water (ionic magnesium), and each time, my muscles felt like they turned to jelly. I had to cut a workout short yesterday because of this. I don't usually experience this kind of muscle relaxation unless I take an epsom salts bath, and I have been attributing the reaction to the hot water as much as the magnesium. I don't react this way to magnesium supplements or magnesium in my food (about 325-350 from food each day).

I know that magnesium is a muscle relaxant, but my degree of relaxation is strong. Am I just on the far end of some bell curve? Is it possible that I just don't absorb Mg well from food or supplements? Or Is this reaction a danger sign of something else?

If it's the same as the epsom salts bath, I wouldn't worry; except maybe cut back on the magnesium water. And it's possible your supplements just aren't working for you; the first one I tried didn't absorb at all.
  #114   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-12, 13:06

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

WereBear,

My reaction was far stronger with the magnesium water than with the epsom salts bath. I'll take it on faith that it's a sign that I don't assimilate magnesium easily and spread my intake out over a longer period. Thanks for the reassurance.

Last edited by aj_cohn : Sun, Apr-01-12 at 13:19.
  #115   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-13, 16:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/156/115 Female 5'
BF:

JOURNAL HELP PLEASE! I'm having a difficult time finding where I can start my journal?? Thanks in advance...not sure if I'm posting this in the correct thread...
  #116   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-13, 17:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaGal
JOURNAL HELP PLEASE! I'm having a difficult time finding where I can start my journal?? Thanks in advance...not sure if I'm posting this in the correct thread...

It's under the header of the page, in the upper right corner, by your name.
  #117   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-13, 23:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/156/115 Female 5'
BF:

In MY PLAN, thanks WereBear! Can anyone read journal?
  #118   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-21, 22:41

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

magnesium quit working for me. I seem to gain weight whenever I take it now.
  #119   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-21, 05:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGirl

How do you take it? Some people do better soaking in Epsom salts or spraying magnesium oil on their skin, like my DH.
  #120   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-21, 06:08
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGirl

Are you taking the chelated form of magnesium? Like any other supplement the form of it is important; the body can't efficiently absorb and use the non-chelated form of magnesium. The non-chelated form will attract water leading to temporary weight gain and then be eliminated from the body. I only take the non-chelated form when I my stools are too hard or I become stopped up from too much fiber/not enough water.

Also, with magnesium it is better if you take it in smaller, divided doses throughout the day rather than in one large dose.

Also something to think about:
Quote:
Absorption of magnesium depends on the amount ingested. When the dietary content of magnesium is typical, approximately 30-40% is absorbed. Under conditions of low magnesium intake (ie, 1 mmol/d), approximately 80% is absorbed, while only 25% is absorbed when the intake is high (25 mmol/d).

https://www.medscape.com/answers/20...5%20mmol%2 Fd).