Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 19:02
Have A LC Margarita!

Plan: PMSF
Stats: 175/175/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I make a "veggie medley" I call it and eat it everyday. I chop up fresh veggies (brocc, cauli, cabbage, etc) and put them in a ziploc baggy and whip out the bag and boil some of it and use them in everything. Veggies are dirt cheap and you can eat them with anything!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 20:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: //165 Female 64in
BF:too much!
Progress: 7%

Well I read this thread last year when it was posted but didn't reply so I will now.

One thing to invest in is a food vacuum sealer. Wal-Mart has the Black and Decker for around $50-60. If you can afford it, I would go for a better brand but the B&D works fairly well. Get some of the containers and the rolls. The holder with the cutter is a must if the brand/model doesn't have one built in.

Salads can last over a week, which is good if you get the 3-5 lb bags like I do. My grocery store had a sign the other day that due to the rains in California that the bag salads wouldn't last much longer than 2 days. We got a 3lb bag (kind with carrots- I pick most out) and a bag of spinach on Saturday, I seperated them both in to a few containers and they are still nice today.

Great for all kinds of foods and non-food things. With the big freezer and the sealer it is easier to buy in bulk for later. I'm sure most have seen the infomercials.

Find a food service outlet or buy in bulk when stuff you like and will use is on sale.

I'm lucky to have in my small city (5000 m/l) a foodservice warehouse and they have an outlet where they have Splenda 200 packets for about $3.50 and have a section with damaged, slightly out of date frozen and canned goods priced fairly cheap. It's where I get my heavy cream (40% fat). Have gotten a few big cans of mushrooms ($4) that I vacuumed and froze. I have a big can of red peppers ($3) that I will do in a few weeks. A few months ago they had Dreamfields spaghetti and linguine for $.50/box so I bought 16 of each.

We buy most of our meat at the grocery store instead of the supercenter. I also get my 3lb salads and things like brocoli slaw, frozen veggies when on sale ect there instead of W-M.
Unless it is on sale it is usually a lot cheaper at W-M and we will buy it there then, or if it is one of the price-match items.

Also shop at a discount grocery (just cans, bottles, boxes -no fresh or frozen stuff). They get Dreamfields and other LC things in every so often and I will buy it there to try for a whole heck of a lot less, so if it sucks I don't lose as much as if I bought at the regular stores.

Funny thing, after I posted this last night my mom came over wanting to know where the portal was for the container tubing to attach.

Guess my sister bought a Food Saver mini model that doesn't have that ability, so now I have 2 more FS containers.
This is the same sister that gave me the B&D and the 2 sets of containers and the 2 FS containers that aren't compatible.
But I figured out how to make them work together. LOL

Last edited by Tigs_aunt : Tue, Mar-08-05 at 14:45. Reason: spelling, adding info
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 15:41

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 275/235/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

i can't add any more that has not already been said. i agree with most--buy in bulk on sale and freeze (especially meats), look for sales and stock up on staples and condiments, etc., buy frozen veggies for convenience and to curb wasting fresh produce
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 15:46

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 275/235/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemman
i thought cream seperated when u freeze it?

lila- i went shopping at walmart ONCE. the hamburg made me sick & the steaks were GREEN where they overlayed each other. the bananas i bought for my son were brown the very next day after i bought em... & they were still greenish when i got em. i dunno- just NOT a good experience. we tossed more food than we ate.

i still love walmart, tho- for everything else... just not food

dang!! what the (*&$*#&$ ! all of that from one walmart shopping trip.
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 17:11

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 232/194.0/130 Female 66 inches
BF: yes, it is!
Progress: 37%

I have been going to Aldi's (discount grocer) and checking out which fresh vegetables they have that are low priced and look good.
They also have some frozen things (like fish) that I find to be helpful.
I am sure that in warmer weather I will be haunting most of the farmer's markets around for their produce deals.
~sue
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 17:55

Plan: LCHF/Keto
Stats: 162/116.6/117 Female 61 inches
BF:30.6%/22.0%/22.1%
Progress: 101%

Something I find helps me tremendously in saving money is to plan-out my menus a week or two in advance and make my grocery lists straight from the menus. It takes a little time to do this, and I realize that's part of "frugalness" but the effort is worth the savings. Also, coming home from work and looking at the menu that I've pre-planned helps me to quickly get my supper ready on that particular night plus helps me know what to thaw-out that night for the next night which actually does help save time.