Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-08, 17:16

Plan: dietician where i work at
Stats: 360/354/200 Female 67
BF:
Progress:
Question Dark skin on Neck....plz help

i was wanting to know if there is anyone else out there suffering from dark skin on their neck and between their breast. i am clean, i take baths, and it all started around puberty, i am 21 years old. i have been dealing with this problem for over 9 years. i use every cleaner i know to clean it, such as alcohol, and nothing comes off on the towel. this makes me not want to wear certain shirts, and im always tryin to hide it with polo shirts. i am overweight, and i have pcos, and i was wondering if either of these have something to do with this. and someone told me it could be my sugar. i had it checked in august of 2007, and it was a little high. is there any procedure that can take this away. i hate having ppl make fun of me and tell me that i dont bathe. i feel so alone not knowing if anyone else is dealing with this. someone please help me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-08, 17:51

Plan: LC w/o "counting" carbs.
Stats: 320/259/185 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

#3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-08, 18:21

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Wow, I'd never heard of this condition, but amazingly it sounds like lowcarb is the best possible approach to it.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-08, 18:37
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

There are many skin conditions associated with diabetes:

http://www.diabetes.org/type-2-diab...mplications.jsp

I think Sandollar nailed Nigricans. The best treatment is weight loss, according to the ADA.

The underlying blood sugar issues are a lot more serious and they will respond to a low carb diet.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-08, 19:46
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

It may go away on LC because you haven't had it forever. I had it from the age of 5, and while mine has lightened it has not gone away, nor will it ever entirely according to every doctor I asked.

I know exactly how you feel. I used to be beaten regularly for not bathing properly.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-08, 16:43

BF:
Progress:
Arrow Dark skin

(this is a reply to lessliz):

yeah i remember having it a little bit as a child and it got worse when i hit puberty, along with the facial hair and missed periods(which happens alot) but now that remember yes i had it around ur age to.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-08, 16:53

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

sounds like you're insulin resistant with pcos.

welcome to a well-populated club. Good news. Low carb is our saving grace.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-08, 18:19
Walk in sunshine

Plan: LC'ing in Asia
Stats: 271/222/199 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 68%

You're not alone. I have same problem too. Symptoms I can relate to are diabetes, PCOS and Candida. I been low carbing for only 3 month and I think it has helped because I’m noticing the discoloration being lighter.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-08, 07:45

BF:
Progress:

yeah i do have PCOS. i found out when i was 16 that i had PCOS. my dietician put me on a 1800 ADA diet. i can have 4 carbs per meal, and 2 as a snack before i go to bed...is that too many? ugh.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-08, 08:19

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

In my opinion that's a strange way to do it, but it's certainly low carb.

Please take a look at an established plan. You might, unknowingly, be including carbs from sources that have higher glycemic index and can stop you from gaining all the benefits of other plans.

Many of us are having great success with the old 72 Atkins. Check out our thread if you'd like.

It's wonderful that the dietitian has recognized low carb as a way to help you. It really really will.

I have reversed heart disease, lowered my BP (cause of my heart failure), no longer borderline T2 diabetic, my hormone levels are now normal (PCOS at bay), and have been weaned off asthma medicine (used to take 4 puffs a day of Advair, now it's one a week! and only when it's terribly smoggy out.)

I'm so glad you found us fifi! Good health is very close at hand.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-08, 09:47
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Are you talking about 4 exchanges of starches/bread per meal? Each exchange is 15g carbs, so 14 per day is 210g of carbs per day. And my recollection is that fruit is a separate exchange with something like 3 fruit exchanges on the 1800 cal diet. Each fruit exchange is also 15g carbs.

If this is the diet she put you on, well, it is not a low carb diet.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-08, 11:26
Registered Member

Plan: atkinsy
Stats: 230/219/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 14%

hey, another person chiming in about this - doing low carb has definitely faded this discoloration for me also, and i've been eating lc for a relatively short time, too. so there's hope...
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-08, 12:39

BF:
Progress:

yeah LessLiz u are correct on the diet she put me on, and that is the one that i am following, but i have not seen any results. i was on metformin but it didnt help either. i was on it for a year. i dont know what to do anymore. does anyone know how to prevent recurring infections, because i also get them alot. I dont try to take in alot of sugar, and i cut out most beverages. and i dont eat alot of bread, and i bake, grill, and i never fry my foods. what am i doing wrong?
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-08, 13:33
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

No one should be on the ADA diet - least of all diabetics! You'd be better off picking a plan such as Atkins, PPLP, South Beach and following that. Chronic infections are often a sign of high blood glucose levels. Do you have a meter so you can check your BGs?
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-08, 15:09

Plan: atkins (modified)
Stats: 498/436/300 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 31%

i had a slight discoloration about the neck, it always looks dirty, what i did was start lcing, im also taking pre diabetes medicine for pcos called metformin, as well as using a skin lightner from avon