Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 16:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/220/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default African American Ladies...

Where are my sistas eating LC as a WOL?

Hello & Welcome

I am interested in meeting women like me. African American women coming together in the name of LC and hopefully creating an enviornment of support and sisterhood. I'd like this to be a place where I can go when I've had my fill of video chicks on BET. Or when I visted home for Sunday dinner and wanted to tear up some baked macaroni & cheese, potato salad and cornbread along with the rice & peas...

I'm back on the wagon after falling off and trying to hop back on for the past year. This time around I feel better than ever. I have been cheat free 11 days and feel like I have a new perspective. One that celebrates ME. One that challenges me to be the best ME I can be. One that demands that I get my a-- up at 6:30 every morning and go walking. I am 32 and want to look BANGIN' for my birthday on November 29th.

If you feel me...
If you would like a buddy...
Make your presence known!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 21:40

Plan: My Own Thang....
Stats: 190/190/160 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Default hi all

my name is jodi and im a single mother of an 11 month old boy. i have been on atkins since may 5 2004. on my way to a better lookin and better feelin me. i currently live in miami and attend Florida In't University(tryin to get my school on). glad that we have finally got a thread devoted to us. i hope that more will join and that we can be of great help and inspiration to each other.
ps Nasira u are too cute girl!!
jodi
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 05:43

BF:
Default Welcome

Hello Jodi,
aka Soonslim (I luv the name)

Thanks for reaching out & letting us know you are out there! Congratulations on becoming a new Mom. Your son is adorable! I am a theater professor and witness the benefits of a college education all the time, so congrats on getting that ball rolling. How much longer do you have to go before graduation? Well I'm off to get my walk on. I burned a new cd of the latest songs, so I should be skipping more than walking. Have a great weekend & don't be a stranger.

ps - Thanks for the compliment (from one goodlooking sista to another)
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 15:04

BF:
Talking well.....

my major is nursing. i have two more years left in the game...lol. along with that i am doing a program to get my LPN license(licensed practical nurse) so that i can start gettin some experience and also to start malin a decent amount of money. hows the weight loss coming?. i was doing excellent till i had a piece of cornbread from boston market. hope that wont count against me!! talk lata girl!
jodi
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 10:10

Plan: none yet
Stats: 307/286/225 Male 6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default energy level...

On a low carb diet, is your energy the same. Do you feel weak. Are your workout as intense as they were before the low carb diet.? Thank you in advance.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 06:51

BF:
Default S'all good

Wassup Soonslim?

As long as you got right back on after that piece of cornbread I'm sure you'll be fine. CONFESSION: I had a bag of microwave popcorn Saturday night & a handful of semisweet dark chocolate (TOIM is near). As I knew it would happen... I had a BANGIN' headache yesterday and felt like a hot mess! Anyway, I got right back on the wagon & here I am 13 days in.

Talk to u lata.

Nasira
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 10:57

Plan: LC / breastfeeding
Stats: 230/194.5/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:30%
Progress: 44%
Default Hi

my nam eis Holly I am biracial my mother is african american myu father caucasian, I would like to join you guys if thats ok. Looks like your both doing great a few slips are to be expected. I know how hard it is to avoid sunday dinners as they are my biggest downfall. My mom made hush puppies last sunday and I almost caved, but I seem to be gaining will power with every pound lost.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 13:45

BF:
Default Welcome

Hey Holly glad you could join us. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm with you, each day that passes I get a litl' but stronger...

One day at a time.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 17:37

Stats: 260/175/150 Female 5ft5in.
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hello, My name is Elizabeth and I've been on Atkins since Jan 2002. I'm kind of disappointed because when I first started Atkins the weight was flying off. I was 26O in January and by June I was 175. Sugar was definetly my problem. I drank lots of sweet soda and ate Junior mint candy and pop tarts for breakfast. My problem is, I can't stay on induction long enough to do what I need to do. I've been able to stay around 15 lbs of what I've lost, but its been hard for me. I actually think that all the low carb items are sabatoging me. When I first started Atkins all these low carb cookies, wraps, and things weren't available at the store you had to order them and they were expensive. Now I think I can get away with eating more of these than the actual suggested serving. I lost my father, I finished school, I'm unemployed and I've been gaining weight, I would love to join you guys.

Last edited by elizabethr : Mon, Jul-12-04 at 17:44.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 17:47

Hi Elizabeth, I know life changes can make us go off kilter a bit. This site is amazing, great resource of support and information. I can only speak for myself but welcome to the forum, if I cna help in anyway give me a shout, you should definatly start a journal and get a fitday account (www.fitday.com), make some mini goals for yourself I will eat low carb this meal, take it meal to meal at first then day to day week to week, you'll see you'll get back in the swing you already know the benefits and the success you can have. Know its just applying your knowledge and doing it. Have faith in yourself, allow yourself to succeed.

You can do it!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 18:22

BF:
Default hey ya'll

elizabeth im sorry for what ur goin thru right now. trust me. im a single mom tryin to get thru school and raise my son at the same time. i am stresses and lookin like a hot mess eveyday. buy im still holdin on. so hang in there girl!!! things'll get better. i weighed my self today and i lost nothing this week. still the same. i bought a scale today too so i wouldnt have to go all the way to the store to weigh myself. welcome holly. i hope we can keep this going and i hope im at 198 tomorrow. bye
jodi
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 20:46

Stats: 260/175/150 Female 5ft5in.
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Thanks all for the support!

Thank-you, I have added everyone who responded to this group under my buddies list. I have never thought about having a mini-goal, maybe I will try that this time. I have always been the all or nothing type. Which is why my eating has been so out of control! I've learned a lot of new stuff on this site already just today. I wish I had this support in 2002, I probably would have been done and on to the Lifetime maintenence stage.
Now See I have to stay off the scale, I'm obsessive if I do weigh. I try and ignore it most of the time. Especially since I'm lifting weights at the same time. I always get discouraged when I see weight going on. I'm sure some of my weight gain is muscle because boy do I feel some strong quadraceps, tricep and bicep muscles. Thanks everyone again for the support, let me know if I can do anything to help anyone of you!
---Liz
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 06:56

I am a total scalaholic, I have cut way back, but it used to be so bad I would get on the scale everytime I walked in the bathroom, I had my husband hide it a few times, then I did my own little scale challenge ( 10 days no weigh in) that seemed to work for me only becasue I am so self competitive. Oh well I figure I am allowed some neurosis. You ladies are doing wonderfully, I bet we can all be at goal in no time.

** Liz mini goals are really important for me, they give me short term goals to strive for while keeping focus on the long term. I am very much an instant gratification type of person and just waiting for the final goal would annoy the heck out of me as I would feel like I hadnt succeeded enough!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 09:17

BF:
Default Hola

Hello E'rebody,

It's nice to see folks connecting. Welcome Elizabeth! If I could chime in about the scale thing - this time around I am not a scale fanatic. I decided to only weigh myself once a week on Friday's.

I did Atkins successfully a year ago (dropped like 40lbs before I jumped off the wagon) BUT I weighed myself non-stop. Some days it was goood, but most days it was...just a'ight. I was praying for wooshes and blaming the scale not moving on the impending TOM (it's always coming isn't it?).

I realized this time around, just because I am starting this WOL with a vengance, I CAN'T give all of my power to the scale! I know me, I will see a gain or no change, and I will become discouraged. PLUS I am working out this go round (check out the gym log y'all) so like Elizabeth said, I know that building muscle will translate differently in my weighloss numbers.

The fact is, I am trying alot of things differently this go round:
The journal
The gym log
Starting this thread to find some friends for support
Walking everywhere
Weight training
Getting my water in despite the fact that I go 50x a day
Taking my vitamins this time
LOVING MYSELF ENOUGH TO DO THIS FOR ME!!!!!

*Phew* Thanks for letting me preach. On another note, I agree about all of those LC products that are out there. I try to stay away as much as possible. I agree, a year ago there was no such thing as all of the LC products that are screaming at me when I go shopping. My solustion has been to try to become a better cook. I have always said I wasn't a cook, and relied heavily on fast food and pre-packaged stuff. Now that so many LC products are tring to become conveneince foods - it would be easy for me to get swept away....So, I decided I will become a better cook. I'll let y'all know how I progress. I even try to stay away from diet soda just because it gets in the way of my water consumption.

I guess it's finding that discipline and will power in the face of your weakest moments...that and leaning on a few friends
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 12:40

BF:
Default hey ya'll

just checkin in. gettin ready to go to class. hope u guys are al well. i find the low carb products helpful because first of all i cant even if Christ asked me too!! second i dont abuse them and it helps me with this wol because w/o it i'd get tired of cookin and freezin and cookin and freezin. so thats my two since. see ya'll lata
jodi
Closed Thread