Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 15:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/183/150
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Duh!

I see you're from New York, Suzann.....
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 14:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 325/243/150
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Count me in

I have been perimenopausal for a couple years (now age 49). My symptoms have gradually grown in intensity. Right now I am awake most of night with hot flashes, even when I take some pretty serious medication to force me to sleep. I have a mental health disability that can be effectively managed but one of the keys to maintaiing my mental health is deep sleep. So I am rocking and rolling all over the map with emotions and heat.

I haven't tried much to help. I have been slipping into deep, almost psychotic depression just before my periods start. There are things to take to lessen that pre menstrual depression but my cycles have to be regular so I know when to take the stuff. Yikes.

I have tried Progestin (may be spelled wrong), a cream, B6 -- just before my cycle (guessing every month when it is the right time t take) -- this idea came from my alternative MD. I have tried taking an antedepressant one week -- from my shrink -- before my cycle (again, guessing every month). . . if these things work, they must be contingent on taking the stuff at the right time of the month.

At least my doctors take my symptoms seriously. Neither of them has tried to help me with the hot flashes. Just when they became particularly troublesome, that research came out that hormone supplements aren't the thing to do so I have just been trying to ride out this time of life w/o addressing it with meds or herbs.

After all, what did women do one hundred years ago? Isn't this a natural transition?
  #138   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 14:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 325/243/150
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Power surges?!

I haven't read every single post in this thread but I haven't seen anything that calls hot flashes power surges. I think this reframing language has a nice, catchy sound but I sure don't feel powerful when my body feels like a dense fireball about to burst into ash.

I can't bring myself to call my hot flashes power surges. . . .

but, on the other hand, I do find myself shifting my lifeview, focussing on myself and my individual future in new ways. Like a snake shedding old skin, I feel like part of the menopausal transition, FOR ME -- I DO NOT SPEAK FOR OTHERS, is a tangible shift into a new phase in life.

Course for me, this change of life is coming just as my nest has emptied. I'm not a caregiving mother anymore. . . who I am going to be now? I have so strongly identified myself as a mother first and foremost. . . it sorta feels like the hot flashes are burning that identity off so I can move into a new one.

I can see lots of good in my transition. . . but I sure don't like the heat or the emotional roiling.
  #139   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 15:29
Registered Member

BF:
Default committed....I feel for you

The sleep problem we have is one of the main complaints and causes a lot of the other problems women have during this transition. And everyone is so different that it's hard to find a simple solution. The hot flashes and night sweats cause a lot of it and even though hrt helps some women, there are many of us who want to get through it without taking prescription drugs.

One product I've found for my viewers can be found here: http://www.minniepauz.com/problemsolvers.html

It's called the Chillow and it slides inside your pillowcase and helps keep your body temperature at a comfortable level during the night. You might want to check it out.

Hang in there! It DOES get better eventually!
Dee
  #140   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 06:17
Lover of Life

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 233/169/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Wow, I am impressed!! Is the fact that there have been no posts for 7 days and indication that we ladies finally have our menopausal symptoms and problems that go with it in check!!

Hip, hip hooray!!

HN
  #141   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 06:28
Registered Member

BF:
Default hahahaha HerbNurse!

What a dreamer! I suspect that everyone is just busy incorporating the changing symptoms into their everyday life. Personally, I'm more involved in making changes in my eating habits than anything else. After losing 45 lbs. I've slowed down, of course, and have been slowly adding things to my diet to get a feel for what is going to let me continue losing (still 40 lbs. to go).

I still want to let everyone know that with time and patience (and acceptance of the process of change), things DO level out and you will be able to ENJOY all the BENEFITS of menopause.
  #142   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 11:41
Lover of Life

BF:

Minnie

I am a dreamer, guess I thought everyone found a good balance for themselves as I have.

Quote:
Original quote by MinniePauz
<b>I still want to let everyone know that with time and patience (and acceptance of the process of change), things DO level out and you will be able to ENJOY all the BENEFITS of menopause. </b>

I second that emotion!!

HN
  #143   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 05:27

Plan: BFL with SP
Stats: 167/158.5/150 Female 63ins
BF:31/26/20
Progress: 50%
Default Estroven

Hi HerbNurse

I tried to get Estroven at the weekend but it has been taken off the shelves. I finally went to GNC, which I normally avoid, and was told that there was an ingredient in it which was being investigated (I think she said kava kava, but I could be wrong).

So I bought some Soy-Phytogen which I have been trying.

For about two weeks I had turned from a partial lamb into a raging bull LOL. I felt I had PMT without the M as it was two months since I'd had one. Then, whoosh (not the nice kind of weight whoosh) and it came on with a vengeance.

I feel that my hormones are completely out of balance. When I reached puberty and started TOM I lost quite a bit of hair, again when I was pregnant. I now have a big bald patch which doesn't always get covered up, so I am convinced it is hormonal and not due to LC. I need to investigate the hormones which play a part in all this, and see if I can get a natural version of the one I may be lacking.

The hair loss, combined with a major stall which has lasted quite a while, and now the strange PMT, could get me depressed, ha ha, but I am trying to stay cheerful and just let it wash over me - for how long I'm not sure.

Thanks for your support

Judy
  #144   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 06:42
Lover of Life

BF:

Judy130

Estroven hasn't been taken off the shelves according to the FDA.
It is each individual stores decision.

Estroven packages do contain a CAUTION:
"This product contains kava. Persons who have liver disease or liver problems, or persons who are taking drug products that can affect the liver, should consult a physician before using kava-containing supplements."

I am not personally worried about it, I don't take any medications that might affect my liver enzymes and I don't drink alcohol.
I have already cut my dosage down to recommendations but it is each persons individual choice.

There has been no recall of the product and I still am able to sell it at my webstore.
Here are a few articles of interest.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/%7Edms/addskava.html
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/a...6/ln/ln23a.html
http://www.healthandage.com/html/re...KavaKavach.html

You might try a product like Promensil which is just a red clover extract (isoflavone). You can find information about it at www.promensil.com.

Hope this information helps you decide.

HN
  #145   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 07:44

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally posted by HerbNurse
Wow, I am impressed!! Is the fact that there have been no posts for 7 days and indication that we ladies finally have our menopausal symptoms and problems that go with it in check!!

Hip, hip hooray!!

HN

You're funny.

Actually I have had my nose buried in "Fitness Theory and Practice", "A Guide to Personal Fitness Training" and "Exercise Science Fundamentals". I think at this point I should have stuck with biology in highschool. Brain overload.

I have two more weeks before my AFAA exam and I feel the stress levels comin up. All in all though I am doing well. Just ready to get this over with. I don't seem to be having as many hot flashes as I was, but my sleep pattern is going crazy. By noon I feel like napping and by midnight I feel like bouncing off the walls.

Glad everyone is doing well so far
  #146   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 05:24

Plan: BFL with SP
Stats: 167/158.5/150 Female 63ins
BF:31/26/20
Progress: 50%

Thanks, HN. I am thinking of taking the promensil when I finish the soy, as it states it has 4 of the isoflavones whereas soy has 2. It's an interesting website.

Sudden night sweating last night kept me awake for ages so this is very timely.

Thanks again

Judy
  #147   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 05:54
Lover of Life

BF:

Judy130

Glad the Promensil information helped, it is a great product.

I sympathize with you about the night sweats, I use to get them so bad especially at night that I never got any sleep. I thought I would go crazy. I was cranky and tired and could never really rest.

I have called the manufacturer of Promensil for my customers and asked if it is safe to take more then recommended dosage initially to get rid of the hot flashes. They informed me that it was just to be sure to take them with meals as it might upset the stomach.

HN
  #148   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 13:56

Plan: scaresdale and now Protien power
Stats: 160/137/128
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Re: 40 somthing Peri-pausal Thread

Well I hope I can help someone on here.. I talk to the drs but get on the net and do alot of studies and even the liabrary on all health issuse concerning myself and friends... Well 2 years ago at age of of 147 I started having night and day sweats.. ( and I don't sweat LOL) I remember having to leave the country to go where it would be 100 and I was dieing in my 65 temp air conditioner. But what was really bad was I couldn't sleep.. went for days wide awake and felt like I was in an Ozone.. LOL.. And lost my can of pop and found it the next day I had put in food coupord and got lost going to places I always go to ... Sound familiar to anyone.. So I got to studying this pre menapausal thing as I still had every month like clock work.. But what I found is the estrogen gets low... LIke our overies loss some of their ump... and need a kick to keep them going.. I dont like meds.. unless one has to take them. I do like natural herbs.. Well I called the herbal lady I know and she mixed me a pill that had dong Quoe and BLack cohash... as a mix.. YOu must have both of these to work.. and they put these in a pill for me.. naturall. We with in a week I could sleep. no hot sweats and got my life back.. In fact I Felt like I was 16 again.. and one side effect.... which is not bad if you are married.. it boosts your testitrion.. LOL.. I found out that is what you needed boosted is the testitrion more than the estrogen.. and drs have been treating estrogen for years.. OK no problems for 2 years and just returned form my Gynocoligist.. and got my 2nd perfect pap and blood work in 7 years... I had not had a normal pap and had went through 3 different biopsosy.. But since taking this herb have had justhad my 2nd good one.. I Feel great.. look great.. and with the low carbing and loosing 21 lbs only have 10 to go... I work out and walk.. Hope this helps someone cause it is the pits to be premenapausel.. I felt like I was out of my skin... But I feel 16 again with my herbs.. I also now take a pill called estroven you can buy at walmart or a drug store that has natural soy and b12 and b 6 vitimins you need at this time to... I take both. you can buy this in vitiamin counter.. and I have just started taking a one a day for midlife woman.. Don't take chromiam... I tryed this for 3 days and had break through cause I am low on estrogen.. went off the chromiam and got reg again... so our bodies are very senistive at this midlife time... Hope this helps guys..
  #149   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 18:00

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Great thread! I am not sure if I am in denial or perimenopause
A week before my TOM was due I got swollen breasts and PMS. It lasted for a week, then went away. I never got my TOM.
Is this a symptom of perimenopause?
  #150   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 18:59
Registered Member

Stats: 250/250/150
BF:
Progress:

OMG! What a great thread.

At 55 (tomorrow) I began symptoms at 45 when I was very very stressed. They don't tell you that this can bring on all the symptoms.

I began Remifemin in 93 and haven't looked back. Whenever I eat sugar the hot flushes come back with a vengeance. So this way of life is a breeze. I maybe get one every 2 days.

The depression goes on this WOL, so do the mood swings. But have to admit the Remfemin does the job. My sister is in US so I know you can buy it. Try www.vitaminshoppe.com.

They have used this product in Europe for more than 40 years very successfully.

Dale