Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 16:22
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

Another book which merits mention is Misinformed Consent by Lise Clothier-Steel. The website is http://www.misinformedconsent.com I have read this book and the 13 accounts from the women who submitted their hysterectomy stories are downright chilling.

asugar
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 17:17

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

I'm *lurking*, reading, but not posting, since I don't have anything noteworthy to contribute right now.

Been trying to work thru some things that sound like a mild case of depression right now,...don't know if it is because I'm tired of my job, or if it's MP related. I'm really not happy in my job right now, and that kind of unhappiness leads to odd things ..

- very sleepy all the time (haven't had that feeling since I started LCing)
- low energy
-tough time concentrating
- tough time getting myself to be motivated to DO anything ... housecleaning, laundry, finishing stuff at work, starting stuff at work
- doing a whole lot of procrastination
- wallowing in a low grade pity party for no apparent reason
- then jumping back into a few days in a row of high spirits, only to come down again

I'm perplexed and frustrated.

BTW, congratulations Minnie on having your site featured. That's wonderful news!!!!
  #78   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 17:21

Plan: General LC-ing
Stats: 145/127/120
BF:BMI 23.7
Progress: 72%

Thanks asugar,
I will be seriously checking it out. My sister's doc just told her she may need one if some "other" treatments don't work.
Thank you for passing the info on
greentea
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 17:37
Registered Member

Angela, have you had your testosterone levels tested? I had all of the symtoms you mentioned for several years and finally got relief when my endocrinologist put me on Androgel. Androgel is not indicated for women, but I am fortunate enough to have an endocrinologist who is on the cutting edge. It practically took an act of Congress to get the pharmacist to fill the prescription, but my life has vastly improved since I've began to use Androgel over a year ago. If anyone is interested and can get a doctor to prescribe it, be sure the doctor follows up with additional testing to ensure you aren't getting too much testosteron. It comes in a packet that looks like a McDonald's ketchup packet. It is a clear gel substance and I have to put it into a syringe and apply the least amount I can get out of the syringe every other day. It is applied topically to the inner thighs. I was initially using it everyday, but testing indicated it was too much testosterone for me.

Greentea, You're very welcome and please also check out the HERS (Hysterectomy Education Resources Services, I think) Foundation website for your sister. You can find it easily by doing a search for HERS + hysterectomy.

asugar
  #80   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 17:41

HI Lurking Angela,
You know I get the same way and never sure what the cause is Ups, downs....leaves you emotionally exhausted.
Have you tried HN's suggestions? I've been wondering where you were, I'm sorry you're going through this low LC-ing isn't a cure all but an enhancement to measures we also need to take to get us through ALL the changes we experience.
Stress brings out the worst and it sounds like you are under a bit.
Are you taking anything? Med or supplements?
greentea
  #81   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 17:54

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Thanks greentea!

I haven't had a chance to read HN's stuff in detail..just skimmed thru it and put it on my mental list of things to check out.

I'm not taking anything...nothing from the doc, and only St. John's Wort as a supplement. I have to be careful of supplement ingredients. Anything that increases blood flow or raises blood pressure sends me into agonizing migraines.

It wasn't until this week that I realized that maybe something is up. I thought it was just occassional mood swings. But going back thru my journal made me realize that I've had a lot of "pity parties" in the past few months and this is not like me.
  #82   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 18:02
Lover of Life

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 233/169/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

AgonyCat

Here is the name of the book that I loaned out to my husbands boss and my DH read.

"Your Menotype, Your Menopause: Find Your Type and Free Yourself from the Symptoms of Menopause"
by Angela Stengler, Mark Stengler, Tori Hudson

He found it to be most informative to the point that he is more understanding as to why I have the "wind tunnel" effect in my house. And why some days I don't give a d*amn whether I have made his lunch or not and so on. I already have a very Irish temper and menopause makes me a freaking cannon getting ready to go off sometimes. (no too frequently thank goodness)

AngelaR

I am sorry you aren't feeling up to snuff these days. I have been depressed maybe one weekend right after surgery (hysterectomy) in 1998 when all the classic symptoms of menopause began and I felt just like you described. It was hell, I locked myself in my bedroom and didn't want to see or talk to anyone.

I hope that I never have to feel like that again. At the recommendation of my pharmacist/boss I started using progesterone cream at first twice a day for a month until I had my moods in check. Now it's been once a day for 25 days and off for 5 for the last 4 years.

I also have been taking a lot of natural alternatives that are described in detail in the above mentioned book.

If you are not taking any med or supplements you might want to consider doing so.

Girls I can't believe that of all the ladies in this forum that we are the only ones that will really admit we are going thru menopause.
How funny is that!!
  #83   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 18:16
Registered Member

Herbnurse,
Almost all doctors tell women who have had hysterectomies that they don't need progesterone because they don't have a uterus. You and I both know this is hogwash. Some women need it and some women don't. I participate in another forum called Sans Uteri and many women who have had hysterectomies do get some relief from progesterone. What really amazes me is that most gyns who prescribe hrt know very little about what they are prescribing. For some reason, most of them think that hrt is a one size fits all concept.
After my own hysterectomy, I was in the same sorry state you were in after yours, but it took me years of playing hormone roulette until I finally got something that helped. I'm very glad to you discovered what worked for you, too.
asugar
  #84   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 08:32
Lover of Life

BF:

Asugar

If I hadn't work in a pharmacy/wellness center and was guided by my colleagues I would have struggled for a long time before getting relief. They called my GYN and told her that they recommended the progesterone cream so she said well whatever works for her do it! But I was lucky as I worked in that environment.

In having personal contact with many of our prescribing doctors they themselves admitted that in all the years of schooling they only spent about 20 mins. on nutrition and natural alternatives.

I have been learning about these products for many years and still not know it all. That is why so many ladies are seeking doctors who have had some training in naturopathy, believe me there aren't that many out there.

That is why we need to take charge of our own health and educate ourselves, you know the old saying knowledge is power. How true that is!!

HN
  #85   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 08:42

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally posted by HerbNurse
AgonyCat

Here is the name of the book that I loaned out to my husbands boss and my DH read.

"Your Menotype, Your Menopause: Find Your Type and Free Yourself from the Symptoms of Menopause"
by Angela Stengler, Mark Stengler, Tori Hudson

He found it to be most informative to the point that he is more understanding as to why I have the "wind tunnel" effect in my house. And why some days I don't give a d*amn whether I have made his lunch or not and so on. I already have a very Irish temper and menopause makes me a freaking cannon getting ready to go off sometimes. (no too frequently thank goodness)

Thank you ma'am My husband knows all about tempers. I am irish, german and danish. Talk about a fight looking for a place to happen

I am pretty good though. I usually let a lot of things slide but there are some things that just really tick me off and he knows it. I told him one night, if you don't want to fight, then stop doing the things you know ticks me off and we should get along just fine! *giggles*
  #86   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 10:42
Lover of Life

BF:

Agony

Glad to know that I am not the only cocked and ready to fire gun here in this forum.

I try to keep my temper in check but menopause has other ideas.
I love to go to www.minniepauz.com and have a good laugh

These men don't ever learn to quit pushing our buttons, and whatever happens they will never win so why try!!
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 14:00

LOL,
Being Full blooded Italian, DH has learned not to push buttons!
greentea
  #88   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 15:23
Registered Member

Since surgical menopause I spend much of my spare time just looking for reasons to jump down my husband's throat and swing on his tonsils. Fortunately, I don't have to look too hard, because the times that I get the maddest is when I can't find anything to b*tch about! Boy! is that aggravating!

asugar
  #89   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 07:54

Okay Ladies....seriously
These mood swings for me have gotton out of hand in the past.
I'm talking pre-meds but since I want off the med I'm still worried about the moods coming back.
It goes beyond the vacum cleaner I beat the hell out of and threw out the door, or the 4 hefty bags of clothes I threw away
because... I don't have a because... It just felt right at the time
I have a very hard time getting mad at DH so couldn't use him for an outlet.... He has seen me "GO-off" but it was never directed his way.
I don't know which is worse, The teary hopeless feeling or the rage that can be triggered by almost anything.
Like I said the meds have calmed all that but it sounds like you
guys are still struggling with it and I'm not sure what to do...
chance all that coming back just to be med free or stay on it so I don't demolish the house?????? Do these moods finally even out after you get all the way through this change
greentea
  #90   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 13:36
Lover of Life

BF:

GreenTea

My moods are few and far between and are something I can handle but that is because of years of self-control, natural supplements, vitamins and experimenting with what works for me.

I am not nearly as bad as I was before I started my natural alternatives I was born with a very bad French/Irish temper and was hell of wheels when I was younger but have managed it in my "Prime" years.

Progesterone cream works wonders, it is something that you might want to check into. I feel for your girl and I wish I had all the answers but what works for me doesn't necessarily work for all.