Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-23, 05:15

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default It's not our imagination. Giant vegan pressure everywhere.

For twenty years, I've belonged to a non-nutrition discussion board. We're mostly older, mostly established professionals, even some scientists and analysts. My point is that, especially after so long, I know the group leans towards science, let's say.

And yet food threads are about celebrating "getting more vegan." Because they are a honest bunch, and aren't pretending they don't sneak salmon on the side.

Like prominent vegans do. OR, they look like humans without nutrients... and such is the glaze of veganism belief that they celebrate their extreme thinness, which is actually a faster route to death than overweight.

And they publish papers like this one:

‘Against the cult of veganism’: Unpacking the social psychology and ideology of anti-vegans

We've been brainwashed by Big Meat, people. Just thought you'd want to know.

I got so mad at the very first line!

Quote:
Despite the established health and ecological benefits of a plant-based diet, the decision to eschew meat and other animal-derived food products remains controversial. So polarising is this topic that anti-vegan communities — groups of individuals who stand vehemently against veganism — have sprung up across the internet. Much scholarship on veganism characterizes anti-vegans in passing, painting them as ill-informed, uneducated, or simply obstinate. However, little empirical work has investigated these communities and the individuals within them.

Italics mine. Because it's not true. So you know everything else in the paper is going to be ridiculous.

Try some search engines with "foods high in iron." I found dramatic differences.

WHO and the UN have diametrically opposed nutrition advice! Google has partnered with WHO.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-23, 08:41

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Im SOooooooo glad I majored in Animal Science at University SOooooooo long ago.

Took classes on basic nutrition, feeding livestock, formulating feeds, a grad class in ruminants; and a Foods class.

ALL great prep for reading thru the endless BS we are fed today.

Sadly, the med students stopped learning nutrition after one basic nutrition class while the Animal Science students continued on to a second semester. And more.

Follow the science, not the BS. Find the "why" .....most sources are self serving. Not interested in truth. Others are misinformed, like doctors following the pyramid or the plate. The American Cancer Assn, digging for dollars.

And the list goes on.

Learn nutrition. Real nutrition.

( I have a fat book that lists the components of foodstuffs, like corn and cracked corn. Then lists gross energy, digestible energy and and metabolizable energy by livestock: what a hog gets from a food stuff is different than a cow!! ( We are closest to the hog. ) )

We are constantly lied to.

Thanks WB for posting the above.Bias is everywhere. Only a few speak from science.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-23, 09:16

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Speaking of which, I got oppo research!

Quote:
On vegan diets and brain nutrients—some unsettling research reports in a (surprisingly) still murky research area

The vegan diet is low in—or, in some cases, entirely devoid of—several important brain nutrients. Could these shortcomings be affecting vegan’s ability to think?

https://www.ilri.org/news/vegan-die...ere%20deficient

From International Livestock Research Institute. Of course

Quote:
‘On the one hand, recent concern about the nutritional gaps in plant-based diets has led to a number of alarming headlines, including a warning that they can stunt brain development and cause irreversible damage to a person’s nervous system. Back in 2016, the German Society for Nutrition went so far as to categorically state that—for children, pregnant or nursing women, and adolescents—vegan diets are not recommended, which has been backed up by a 2018 review of the research. In Belgium, forcing a vegan diet on your offspring could land you a spell in prison.

This is frightening, because mostly it's younger women falling for the plant-based message, and then applying it to their children. Also, senior women seem susceptible to the health claims, while men -- in my age group and experience -- just eat what they want until they get scared.

Fortunately, I scared my guy early with a blood glucose meter, and he's been on his own journey.

Quote:
‘. . . [A study of Kenyan schoolchildren that suggested that meat consumption gives children a cognitive edge] does raise intriguing questions about whether veganism could be holding some people back.

‘In fact, there are several important brain nutrients that simply do not exist in plants or fungi. Creatine, carnosine, taurine, omega-3, haem iron and vitamins B12 and D3 generally only occur naturally in foods derived from animal products, though they can be synthesised in the lab or extracted from non-animal sources such as algae, bacteria or lichen, and added to supplements.

‘Others are found in vegan foods, but only in meagre amounts; to get the minimum amount of vitamin B6 required each day (1.3 mg) from one of the richest plant sources, potatoes, you’d have to eat about five cups’ worth (equivalent to roughly 750g or 1.6lb). . . .

My italics because vegans who supplement also get into trouble. Some of them can't take the pills, and have to get regular B-12 shots. Usually after they've gone blind or can no longer walk. Sometimes that comes back. Sometimes it does not.

But it doesn't scare them. This isn't on a foundation of science and sincerity. It's about big money joining up with those with a religious agenda. And if that doesn't scare you silly, you haven't read anough history yet.

Quote:
In fact, the holes in our current understanding of what the brain needs to be healthy could potentially be a major problem for vegans, since it’s hard to artificially add a nutrient to your diet, if scientists haven’t discovered its worth yet.

This is exactly like growing those vegetables with artificial fertilizers. We can only put in what we know is missing.