Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Oct-13-06, 18:52
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Now that was a useful outcome of posting this thread. Hunan style kung pao chicken -- in that branch, it's red and hot as hell (unlike the milder branches of chinese food) -- is one of my favorite foods on earth. And I'm not into the peanuts anyway. I just like the tiny-piece chicken in the fiery sauce, YUM! Now I am on a hunt to figure out how to make some! Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Oct-13-06, 18:55
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Now I am on a hunt to figure out how to make some!

Way to go you!!! and do let us know if you find a great recipe
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Oct-13-06, 21:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 508.7/413.3/199 Female 5'10" (top weight 508???)
BF:223chol; 120/80bp
Progress: 31%

Oh, kung POW! (as I think of this dish) is one of my favorites! I think the peanuts soften the bite of the peppers in this dish. Not sure what seasonings are used, but thickening with xanthan gum ought to take care of the cornstarch in the recipe at http://www.chinesefooddiy.com/kung_pao_chicken.htm - and isn't the picture worth a thousand words? Yum!

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/pou...ceo/r/index.htm offers three variations on the recipe:
Quote:
General Tsos Chicken - named after General Tso himself, General Tsos Chicken is based on an authentic Hunan recipe.

Stir-fried Kung Pao Chicken - In this healthier version of the traditional Szechuan Kung Pao Chicken recipe, the chicken is stir-fried instead of deep-fried, reducing the fat content.

Kung Pao Chicken - A recipe for a spicy Szechuan dish.
No butter? Okay, but... maybe some cool butter afterward would soothe a fiery tongue.

Last edited by Zer : Sat, Oct-14-06 at 07:31.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Oct-13-06, 21:56
Registered Member

For the record, I do not own a jar of p'nut butter or any nut butter at all. I figure shelling nuts slows down my eating and is as good a tool for learning moderation in eating nuts as any! Peanuts and pistachios in shells are paced for mindful eating! Pecans and walnuts in shells are a bit more challenging, but worth the effort to extract sweet meats from difficult shells. Almonds and Brazil nuts? Almost too challenging for me, with shells that resist fiercely my efforts to crack and pick nuts with implements from my parents' nutbowl.

Last edited by Zer : Sat, Oct-14-06 at 07:34.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Oct-13-06, 22:01
Registered Member

Fascinating account of how peanuts are dug up and let to dry in the air for a few weeks before the nuts are gathered and their vines are bound to be used as animal fodder. No waste. Every bit is used. It's all laid out in Jimmy Carter's "An Hour Before Daylight" as he recounts a hard-scrabble childhood as the son of a peanut and cotton farmer. What an amazing life he's lived.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Oct-13-06, 23:43
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer
Oh, kung POW! (as I think of this dish) is one of my favorites! I think the peanuts soften the bite of the peppers in this dish. Not sure what seasonings are used, but thickening with xanthan gum ought to take care of the cornstarch in the recipe at http://www.chinesefooddiy.com/kung_pao_chicken.htm - and isn't the picture worth a thousand words? Yum!

Looks good! Not quite the hunan variation though, which at least as I had it was mostly red with waaaay more peppers. I learned to eat with chopsticks on kungpao, can you imagine, trying to get the tiny pieces of chicken or peanuts onto chopsticks? LOL!
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-06, 07:42
Registered Member

Chopsticks seem too challenging, until one sees how they are used to shovel food from a ricebowl held at chin level into a mouth at bowl's edge. Lifting and balancing on chopsticks is a novice's approach to eating; the true adept just shovels food in with no attempt at artful play with two slim sticks. I can just about manage chopsticks - holding one still and playing t'other to hold a bite until I can elevate it to watering mouth level.

But I've seen Asians manage well without any balancing act to "spice up" dining. Same with elaborate table settings that make dining a challenge in Western society, where an array of forks is set out to befuddle those who fear using the "wrong" fork for a bite of food. The rule? Work from the outside inward, watching the host to see which implement is being used for what course.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-06, 09:06
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I confess.
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-06, 09:15
Registered Member

All these confessions are making a difference in how blatantly I now scrape at butter and lick off the knife. Still using a knife. Cannot quite imagine spooning a chunk of butter into me. Little scrapings are another thing. Just tastes. Yummy. What a nice thing it is, to have friends online who are aware of LC protocol and who know that fat is not The Enemy! Yay for LC lists!
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 19:10

Plan: IF w/ low carb (20/4)
Stats: 259/201.5/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I'll confess too. My butter has teeth marks all over it. I'm the only one who eats the butter and it's out of sight in the wrapper so no one will eat it anyway.

I'm going to make some Peanut butter butter or PBB where I'm going to take equal amounts of Laura Schudder (sp?) natural peanut butter and butter and mix them together. This will cut the carbs from PB in half and I think still taste good.

Last edited by creaky : Sun, Oct-15-06 at 21:44.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 19:45
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

thats a great idea! I hope butter never slows me down though, I am thirty pounds from goal but still losing pretty good, and I love my butter.
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 21:40
Registered Member

Brilliant idea, to mix p'butter and butter! Not so sticky as straight p'butter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by creaky
I'm going to make some Peanut butter butter or PBB where I'm going to take equal amounts of Laura Scudder natural peanut butter and butter and mix them together. This will cut the carbs from PB in half and I think still taste good.
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 21:46

Plan: IF w/ low carb (20/4)
Stats: 259/201.5/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

To make the PBB, I used 2 sticks of butter heated in microwave at 50% power for about 2 mins. This softened it up. Added the PB (chunky style), mixed well and put into a container in to the refrigerator. Tasted great!
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-06, 13:57
Registered Member

I'm thinking of mincing fresh garlic into some butter, thinking it is a nice way to have some garlicky butter at hand. Noshing? Not sure if I'm thinking of eating it out of hand (or off a knife), but I can see that it might be a nice way to top off a burger or a pile of wilted greens or roasted green beans or just about anything.
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-06, 16:17
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

I like that idea!