Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-18, 09:24

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Both Duke Health and my private practice oncologist use the basic Vit D Total, 25 OH, also called Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy. When I ordered it myself from DirectLabs it was $59, on sale one month for $49. Now my oncologist orders both a Vit D and Fasting Insulin every year with his long list of special tests, and Medicare pays for them.
The links between breast cancer risk and low Vit D are well known https://www.healthline.com/health-n...breast-cancer#1, my gyno tested and was trying to raise my levels way back when. I haven't read much about the other tests but DirectLabs offers them.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-18, 12:39

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Thank you Janet. When I have seen the oncologist such things as vit D are never mentioned. I pass on every tidbit with my mother who just finished another course of treatment, and these people seem to be in the dark. She continues to see the oncologist, whereas I gave up.

I would like to be the first to not have breast cancer in my family.

IMO the chronic diseases like RA and breast cancer and the others are all linked to diet-- a poor, deficient one.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-18, 19:13
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

A friend of mine's wife had breast cancer. She only had a month before she went for surgery.

I suggested she take 100k/day until surgery and for 30 days thereafter.

When she went for surgery the mass had shrunk 1 millimeter and encapsulated and was removed with no problem.

If there has been a bout with breast cancer or a family history of breast cancer, vitamin D levels should be kept around 85 ng/mL.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-18, 19:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
A friend of mine's wife had breast cancer. She only had a month before she went for surgery.

I suggested she take 100k/day until surgery and for 30 days thereafter.

When she went for surgery the mass had shrunk 1 millimeter and encapsulated and was removed with no problem.

If there has been a bout with breast cancer or a family history of breast cancer, vitamin D levels should be kept around 85 ng/mL.

Thank you. My goal is prevention of breast cancer, and ovarian and colon but I am already experiencing issues "arthritis like" swelling and pain in my knuckles. My take is that this is a sign of imbalance/ deficiencies and whole body inflammation.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-18, 08:25

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Update:

Good news - RA test came back negative

Bad news - my knee is swelling anyway

I've got my first PT appointment tomorrow - I'm looking forward to it. But I do wish they could figure out what's going on with my knees. I hate having to use a cane.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-18, 08:42

BF:

Great that it is not RA. Now to figure out what IS driving it.

Most PT's are better IMO than any doctor. You might ask about other causes for the filling. Just beware that they cannot diagnose and need to be careful about such. Ask for a list of possibilities....
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-18, 08:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
When I consider how many supposedly different diseases there are that are helped or eliminated by adopting a keto diet or a carnivore diet I have to wonder about our tendency to think about diseases as separate entities. It seems to make more sense to consider them different manifestations of a similar underlying dysfunction. Terry Wahls says as much in her book.

Eating this way has recast my outlook on both aging and chronic illness.