Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, May-29-18, 12:55

Plan: Ketogenic and OMAD
Stats: 325/283/185 Male 69 inches
BF:Sorry, don't know
Progress: 30%

Thanks Janet, you're a gem.

Just been on my Profile and altered my current weight.

Thank you for the link, I will ensure to read it tomorrow.

I found the various YouTube videos explanation's of the science behind OMAD fascinating during this learning process. My old version of 'Fasting all day' was always something I found relatively easy to achieve, but the problem was, I'd break that Fast by eating inappropriate 'high sugar content' foods to ruin any of the good 'fasting effects' I would've achieved.

But because I'm used to it, I've now incorporated OMAD into my Ketosis diet Plan and, so far at least, it's working brilliantly for me.

Thanks again Janet.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, May-30-18, 01:21

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Grav should be having sweet dreams in NZ now so I'll answer.

Thanks Janet. Yeah, I'm typically unconscious at that hour; I don't usually have time for posting during the week except in my evenings when everyone else is unconscious instead.

Tim, really glad to hear you've found a connection with intermittent fasting. I laughed at "I don't do gradual"; not everyone can dive into fasting like that, myself included. It took me over 2 years of lowcarbing before I finally adopted 16:8 at the start of this year, dropping to two meals a day.

But it sounds like you're getting some great results with OMAD, and as long as the hunger isn't too much of an issue for you between meals, I figure you might just have figured out what going to work best for you. For things to have "clicked" for you like that so soon will be really exciting, I bet.

13lb inside of a month is more than I ever managed during my own journey as well (think my average was 9 or 10?). Congrats on your newfound success, long may it continue!

As Janet already mentioned, Dr Jason Fung is something of an authority when it comes to fasting. He's featured pretty heavily over on Diet Doctor as well, if you're up for a little more reading on the subject.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-18, 03:09

I'm a little reluctant to make this posting as it may come across as gloating...it isn't intended to be.

I'd prefer to think of it as helpful motivation for my fellow strugglers with a similar 'implacable enemy' to fight...our weight!

But today I'm 300lbs again, meaning I've lost another 4lbs, making it a total of 25lbs lost in 8 weeks,on the Keto/Omad Diet!!!

This is now making me increasingly confident, that when my doctor takes my bloods again at the end of July...he can confirm that 'Food has been my Medicine' 'curing me' of his recent Diabetes diagnosis?

Still got a long way to go though. Still got 104lbs to shift.

However, I was reminded of the saying, "Necessity is the Mother of Invention." To my mind in being on this diet, that saying should be tweaked somewhat, to read "Necessity is the Mother of Motivation!"

I'm focussed and on a roll and while I still have a long way to go, I'm fired up by being on the road to where I want to be, a 'Slim Tim' once more!
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-18, 05:47
Registered Member

Plan: Keto-ish
Stats: 339/286/245 Male 76 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

It's more boasting than gloating, and there's nothing wrong with boasting about accomplishments like that. Nice work, and keep on.

I'm shooting for 300 before too long. It might be a push, but my 57th birthday is in just a little over three weeks, with maybe 15 or so pounds to go. I might try a little 16-8 IF for a bit, but we'll see how this week's weigh-in turns out. Even if I don't make it then, it will be soon after, and we'll both be in twonderland.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-18, 09:09

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
today I'm 300lbs again, meaning I've lost another 4lbs, making it a total of 25lbs lost in 8 weeks,on the Keto/Omad Diet!!!

Woo hoo!!! Congratulations on reaching a magnificent milestone! Nobody here minds at all when you brag/gloat a little bit. We celebrate with you and cheer you on!

Too bad your doctor didn't give you a script for blood glucose monitor so you could track your blood sugars regularly. I'm betting that you have already made significant strides in getting your T2 diabetes under control and, nice as the weight-loss is, ensuring that you don't lose toes or eyesight (or worse) to diabetes is even better!

My hubby (now age 67) was diagnosed with T2 diabetes in February 2014. Our efforts to control his BG with diet alone led us to LC/ketogenic WOE. We've stuck with it ever since and his HbA1Cs remain perfectly normal. His doctor took him off metformin a couple of years ago... closest thing to a "cure" possible. Meanwhile, we have so many friends -and family members - who are moving inexorably down the the path of "diabetes is a progressive disease" and having to take more and more medications. Why? Because fear of eating fat has scared them off of even trying a low-carb approach.

Even tho I don't know you, I rejoice that you're on the path to health again! Every success story becomes one more data point that may SOMEDAY help convince a diabetic that I personally know and love that the "eat low fat" advice that he/she has bought into is just deadly.

Welcome to the forum and I'll be cheering your progress...both weight loss and blood sugar control!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-18, 02:50

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Great job Tim Round decade numbers and entering the Twos are such a mental boost.
There has been much going on in the UK around LC and Diabetes just since to restarted. Did you see the BBC special on "beige' carbs...mostly the last 15 minutes on Dr Unwin and a small study on diabetes. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=480472
A low carber who reversed diabetes and a diabetes practice nurse addresses Parliament.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=480512
And the NHS approves use of a Low Carb Programme for Diabetes!
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=480510 Now this is the plan designed by Dr Unwin which has more flexibility and carbs than any of the plans I linked, but there are options in the UK plan to personalize carbs even lower. The excitement isn’t the exact plan itself, but that the NHS approves using a LC Diet to manage and reverse diabetes...maybe before any medications are tried. At least your wife will see it is a medically approved method to lose weight and help diabetes, whether convinced by the science or not.
Keep Calm and Keto On.
Btw, we have many members here with families who do not eat LC. The easiest is making a protein and veg both can eat, while the non LC adds a potato or bread. Can make stews or meat pies, pick out potatoes or remove crust. We have so many recipes here or scroll through the DietDoctor photos to find recipes you might both enjoy.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jun-26-18 at 03:01.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-18, 13:27

BF:

25lb in 8 weeks is great going. Can you imagine where you might be in 3 months? Christmas? This time next year?

This will be a very exciting time for you; I remember it well. Keep up the good work!
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-18, 03:35

Wow, what a lovely and encouraging set of replies, thank you very much, it's genuinely appreciated.

To be a bit morbid for a short while...I can't tell you the massive boost to my confidence this diet has generated in me again already. After experiencing too many years of 'hating myself' and becoming reclusive, because of how people who knew me previously show their 'disbelief' with how much weight I've continued to pile on, since 2011 when I ended my Ketogenic diet last time. And I'm sure Grav as a bloke can verify, while women are more subtle and understanding, men just come out and say it straight! Bloody hell Tim, you fat b**steward, Or singing, "Who ate all the pies" etc. etc. And it hurts like hell.

I used to cope by being the comedian of the group, the 'fun bloke' the 'life and soul,' even though, I only wanted the floor to open up and swallow me, to just take me away from those much slimmer friends.

And I won't even mention how, as a man, how devastating it is to your body hatred and 'performance' in the bedroom. I constantly worried whether my '7 years younger' wife, would want to stay with me because of it.

Most of you that have been classed as 'morbidly obese' can perhaps relate to those feelings of shame and total embarrassment. Because I must be a 'lazy loser' right, to allow myself to get into the weight/state I did!?

It didn't matter that I was building an excellent reputation throughout my agency area, as a most successful foster carer, it didn't matter that, I was starting to build a exciting construction business that promised to generate the secure retirement income I wanted, to help safeguard my family's future. I was as 'fat as hell' and so...was a complete and utter failure!

Nothing, I realised gave me solace! Nothing could make me 'happy!'

Why couldn't I do anything about it? Sincerely, I don't know? I've asked myself that question 1001 times over the years. I think it was down to making 'starts' to a diet, then a 'family birthday,' or a Family holiday, or Christmas, or whatever...would come along and rob me of my motivation and each time I failed to lose the weight, it simply compounded my emotional despair!

So in the end, to protect myself from re-inforcing my belief that indeed, I was just a 'cowardly loser,' I wouldn't even start another diet.

Indian or Chinese tonight everyone?

Anyway, let's hope those desperate emotions are now to be confined to my past. Yes, I've only lost 25lbs, but each pound I lose, helps put me into a position that could reverse my recent diabetes diagnosis. I think the diagnosis was like an icy bucket of cold water poured all over my complacency. Having reached that very low point for me, it was time to 'get myself sorted!'

And so, here I am, fighting the good fight, with all you splendid soldiers fighting alongside me...how can I possibly fail this time!? Don't worry, I won't!

Sorry folks, I just needed to unload that, losing weight is not just confined to the physical, it impacts equally on the emotions too I feel.

So thank you Susky2, BevAngel, and as always, Janet and Grav too. Joining this forum has been a major help, I'll have to start reading other people's success (or struggle) stories, and offer support to them too.

Tim.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-18, 06:59
Registered Member

Plan: Keto-ish
Stats: 339/286/245 Male 76 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

Tim, I'm right there with ya, buddy. I just hit the 25 mark myself, and I'm going to keep on pushing!

For what it's worth, I keep loose tabs on a guy named Jonathan Bailor, who promotes a lifestyle that is somewhat similar to the low-carb approach (his "SANE" concept is a little more flexible, but he says that LC and keto can fit perfectly well within his plan).

Bailor goes on to describe the unnecessary shame and embarrassment that society seems to burden us with. He's an open critic of people like Jillian Michaels, who bullies people about their weight. He says that societal "blame" for being overweight is both inhumane and counterproductive.

This is from one of his podcasts:

Quote:
...let's keep in mind that the number one approach to lose weight is shame-based. Go to a gym and have someone scream at you?! The most well-known personal trainer in the world is popular because she screams at people and shames them and makes them feel terrible on national television. And the most popular company in the world that "helps" people lose weight puts people together in groups and does public weigh-ins so that we can shame people into losing weight.

Funny that you mention the relationship with the wife. The last time I did this successfully, my wife (who is also morbidly obese, but refuses to make the changes with me) started worrying that I was going to jump ship, and she's said that she notices other women eyeing me up. Hahaha! It feels good to be admired, but a good marriage is about more than physicality. Anyway, there are definitely a lot of emotions in play, and I really appreciate you bringing it up.

If you are self motivated to improve your health and to feel better, you're totally on the right track. Keep on keepin' on!

(And by the way, if it's Chinese, I'll have the moo shu pork (without the pancakes and plum sauce). It's tasty and it fits the lifestyle quite well!
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-18, 12:38

BF:

You know what Tim, your last post reads to me like the beginning of a pretty awesome success story. Have you considered starting a journal? Might be a worthwhile exercise to track the improvement in your mindset as well as your appearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBowen
And I'm sure Grav as a bloke can verify, while women are more subtle and understanding, men just come out and say it straight! Bloody hell Tim, you fat b**steward, Or singing, "Who ate all the pies" etc. etc. And it hurts like hell.

Actually as an adult, I haven't had to deal too much with that sort of thing at all when I think about it. Perhaps because one of my coping mechanisms has historically been to keep to myself, stay inside, work an office job, don't go out in public. To a large extent I'm still like that, but the confidence is slowly growing now at least.

School on the other hand, yeah you pretty much nailed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBowen
Most of you that have been classed as 'morbidly obese' can perhaps relate to those feelings of shame and total embarrassment. Because I must be a 'lazy loser' right, to allow myself to get into the weight/state I did!?

Totally. "It's all about the calories, don't you know? Calories in, calories out. Just eat less and move more. It works for everybody else, so if you can't do it, it's your fault." Pretty much the story of my life up until 2015.

Gotta say, it feels pretty good to be proving all of those people wrong, as you're also now discovering.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-18, 04:30

This is directly intended to be in reply to male members Susky2 and Grav, but, of course you ladies are free to read it too. LOL

We've all three of us touched on the 'shame and embarrassment' aspect of our weight gain and the emotional trials and tribulations we've experienced because of it. But just imagine for a moment if you were female and facing those obesity problems?

We blokes get it so much easier than the ladies don't we boys? We are not judged anywhere near as negatively as women who are significantly overweight.

How many times do you see in TV, magazines or newspapers, successful women in their chosen fields, facing horrendous levels of scrutiny...to open mockery, because successful they may well be, they are the target of negative articles/items because they are "Fat."

I mentioned my occasional pain at judgemental friends' comments, but it probably/certainly would pale into insignificance when compared to the pressures faced by overweight females. When women are constantly judged by how slim and 'hot' they are!

And not only by males! I've heard numerous women passing negatively personal comments about TV personalities, or worse, even their own friends/acquaintances. So really even though, I've been very conscious of my weight, for a woman, those feelings must be magnified several times over?

I suppose this is supported by how many lady members we appear to have compared to males?

So girls, some of us guys do understand honestly.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-18, 00:24

to Grav, or any 'seniors,'

You've mentioned me starting a journal, but how do I start one? What area of the site?

Are journals intended to be written - 'post diet,' when you've achieved success and reached target?

Or is it usually meant to detail 'the journey' and the trials and tribulations we all experience 'along that road' to reach what we hope/feel is an acceptable weight for each of us?

I'd appreciate someone providing a 'pointer or two' regarding this, if possible please?
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-18, 04:05

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Amazingly enough, in the Journals section. not to worry, the sections in this forum aren’t all that easy.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36
Read the top two "Stickies" or pinned posts about how to write them, then a Journal button will show up on your posts. Journals can be a list of what you ate or your thoughts on the meaning of life. More the journey though, because....

Then there is also a Success and Milestone section. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86
I’ve not quite figured out the difference, and why one is a folder behind the other?, but again a button will show up on your posts if you have done one.
Ken and Grav are experts how to write in both a journal then record a success story too.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-18, 13:35

BF:

What Janet said. Basically a journal is a thread for you to record your individual progress any way you like, a milestone is a major accomplishment along the way, and the success story is for when you've pretty much achieved your goal.

I was already about 40% of the way to goal when I first registered here and started my journal. I did it because I wanted to discuss the subject more than my friends and family were prepared to listen by that point, so it was as much about giving them a break as anything else! I really just wanted an outlet to help keep me on track; I still had such a long way to go, and as a lifelong fatty this was all very much unknown territory for me. What better way to discover this new me than one day at a time?

Whatever you want to write in your own journal is up to you, subject to the rules Janet linked to, of course. I have no regrets about having started mine.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-18, 00:59

Thanks both for that, I really should have looked before I asked that question eh? LOL

I just wanted to announce a mini achievement of mine today...

I have now lost 42lbs (3 stones) in 3 calendar months!

I am now 30% of my way to my target of 140lbs (10 Stone) in a calendar year. May 1st 2018 to May 1st 2019.

I'm hoping, even when my weekly losses start to slow up somewhat, I'll have enough 'calendar' left over, to achieve my goal?

Today, I'm feeling very pleased with myself. LOL