Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-19, 05:59

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default How not to get seasonal affective disorder: DR NORMAN ROSENTHAL

How not to get seasonal affective disorder: DR NORMAN ROSENTHAL - the pioneering psychiatrist who first discovered SAD - reveals how to avoid the blues this winter

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...der-winter.html

Quote:
It was back in the mid-1980s when I first suggested there was a specific type of depression that was triggered by the lack of light in winter. I was working at the National Institute of Mental Health in Bethesda, Maryland, in the US at the time. My thesis was met with a deal of scepticism in the medical community. Although some people supported this new diagnosis, others were dismissive – contemptuous, even. Some colleagues even thought SAD was a joke.
Professionally, it was a little galling. More importantly, for a very long time, sufferers found it hard to get taken seriously. Thankfully, more than three decades on, things are different. SAD has won mainstream acceptance and treatment is available on the NHS. One in five Britons are believed to suffer to some extent.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-19, 07:56
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Timely posting, Demi.

I can't live without my light.

I've also been taking low dose lithium oxide. It delays the onset and reduces the duration of SAD and makes symptoms much less severe.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-19, 20:48

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I love my light - it's such a help. But it's cheaper here. The article says about £75 - mine cost only $40 at Amazon. Free shipping, too.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-19, 22:55

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I use the 10,000 units of Vitamin D3. And that was the game changer for me, as it has been far more effective for me as I dont have a special light.

I do wonder if dumping the conventional cooking oils like corn oil, soybean oil and canola oil has also played a part.

The latter change co-incided with the higher winter dosing of vit D3, so perhaps both working together have knocked SAD completely out of my life. As I remember, Dr Eades talks about all the good food choices, and eliminate the high omega 6 oils.