Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-16, 14:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246/185/185 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default 3 months on Atkins, LDL and Cholesterol are Up

Have my numbers from my blood tests both before Atkins and 3 months into it and thought I should share on here.

I arrived at my doctor's 20 pounds lighter (started at 246) and after I told him I was on Atkins he was discouraging. He's a low fat kind of guy. Always telling me to avoid saturated fat. After a bit of discussion I convinced him to let me keep on Atkins for at least another 6 months, he still told me to reduce saturated fat.

Well, we got the numbers back a week later and he called me up and wasn't happy.

Before After

Total : 266 341

Trigyclerides 340 215

HDL 73 79

LDL 125 219

He has me on a low dose statin drug and wanted to double it since I'm still on my 'crazy diet'. So I scrambled around found a bit of information that between the 3 and 4th month of a low carb diet coupled with weight loss, it's normal and common for LDL to go up. Apparently, as you go into ketosis and your stored fat cells get metabolized into your body, they release their cholesterol into your blood stream. Ah ha! When I told him this, he was quiet for a while and then went, "Um...ok. We'll just continue it for another 6 months and see what happens."

Now with all this in mind, I am well aware of the two types of LDL and I found a blood lab that will give me a full VAP test of my blood cholesterol for around $100. My plan is to go there about a week before his next physical in six months so I'll be armed with my (hopefully lower) test results. (when he takes the blood it takes a few days for us both to get it back).

I'm following Atkins to the letter. No cheating and I read the book about five times. Fully exercising, drinking water, on phase 2 at about 30 to 35 carbs a day. No cheating. I read all the labels of everything.

He also has me on high blood pressure med. My current blood pressure is 114 over 90. I'm also on atenolol because I was born with a rapid heart rate, my natural heart rate is about 140. With atenolol, it slows to 85. Had a full heart check up and echocardiogram, heart is healthy and strong.

I must say that the high LDL after three months surprised me and at first the doctor would have talked me out of it had I not found the information about the rise in LDL being only temporary. After the 8 month, it starts to go back down once your weight stabilizes. I think this fact should be told more often to newbies on the diet. I wonder if some of them get their results back after 3 or 4 months and freak out and stop the diet prematurely.

I am really hoping that when I see him next in six months that I'll be below 200 pounds and have my LDL lowered. i will post here and let you guys know. In the meantime, I'm following Atkins to the letter.

Example of today food:

1 scrambled egg with cheese and ham
2 strips of bacon

salad -cucumbers, lettuce, spinach, cheese, real bacon bits, sliced olives, Walden Farms no sugar, no carb dressing

Meat, usually steak, chicken or pork. Grilled in butter or no sauce. And a vegetable, usually asparagus or green beans. If I use sauce, it's no sugar, low or no carb.

I know that sounds plain to most people but I just love it.

Tons of water, I love water and have always drank a lot naturally. Before I even have breakfast, I down a half gallon in the morning.

No sugar and all the sneaky ways they try to add it to food.

I have a ketosis meter and am always between .6 and 1.4 (blood test one)

Daily exercise, 3 mile walk or if I go to the gym it's 45 minutes of intense cardio followed by free weight lifting. I more of a husky build type and enjoy weight lifting the most but I've concentrated on cardio more since it was lacking. I finally got up to 45 minutes straight intense cardio.

So what do you guys think? Have you heard of the temporary increase in LDL before or have you experienced it? What are my chances of having the last laugh on my doctor in six months?
Sponsored Links