Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 17:54

Plan: Organic
Stats: 167/1??/120 Female 69 inches
BF:29w/26w/24w
Progress: 57%
Default Why no caffeine??

I was just wonderng why you're not supposed to have caffeine on the Candida Diet? I've looked all over the internet and the only reason that I've found is b/c it lowers your immune system. Has anyone heard anyhting else about it? Does it actually feed the yeast??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 04:04

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Well, as a diabetic, I know for sure that caffeine, especially coffee caffeine, will raise my blood sugar significantly.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 08:40

lol I juat read your qoute about everyone having a horese!!

well, I think tht caffeine has no effect on me. I wonder if it would be okay then? I dnot know what was wrong w/ me yesterday but I ate sooooooooooooooooo much yogurt. wow.
Thanks fo ryour help KJ , anyone else here anyhitng about the caffeine?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 23:45

BF:

If you tend to have PMS then you may need to give up the caffeine.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 14:02

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%
Default just read about this!

Aha! I have the answer - Why no caffeine?

One cup of non-decaf coffee can kill of 75% of the beneficial bacteria that are in the colon. Since you REALLY NEED the "good bacteria", eliminating caffeine entirely is a must.

Hope that helps!! I gave up a 20 year coffee habit, and it was hard. I weaned off gradually. I bought decaf coffee and slowly replaced the decaf with the regular. Took about two weeks to do it, but no headaches.

Now I am addicted to decaf tea. But I think it is a healthy addiction.

-Jess
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 01:17

BF:

Thanks jessea, I didn't know that.

BTW, to decaf drinkers out there: If you can find Luzianne decaf--BUY IT!! It's great. You use 1/2 the amount of regular decaf and it makes a really bold flavorful cup of coffee with no trace of bitterness. I *love* it but it's really really hard to find. I can't find any stores that stock it, I've only found it (so far) in discount groceries. (Read that as 'discard' groceries! Ones that buy out the stock of other failed groceries)

Last edited by kjturner : Sun, Feb-23-03 at 01:18.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 11:54

oh, okay Goodbye Caffeine!!!!! I was taking these Metabolift pills but I think I'll stop b/c they have caffeine in them. Thanks Jessea!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 15:27

Talking No problem

Hi! I have received so much great information and help on this forum, that I am always glad to return the favor.

By the way, I have seen Luzianne tea out here, but never the coffee. I will try the tea, and let you know if it is as good as the coffee. Do you know what I really miss on this low carb WOE - Chai. It is so good, but loaded with sugar and honey.

Have a great day, everyone!!!

-Jess
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 23:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/149/125
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Coffee vs Decaf with Candida

Now I'm confused. I have read a lot of material over the past couple of days regrding the 'Candida diet' and what to eat/what not to eat.

There appears to be conflicting information. On at least one site I saw 'weak black coffee or tea' allowed, but NOT decaf. On another, the opposite.

Can anyone provide the definitive answer? I'm planning on starting on Nystatin today, along with a more rigorous version of Atkins for the Candida (no nuts, no cheese).

Joan
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 09:24

I would play it safe if I were you and stick to decaf. I did read that caffeine kills of some of your good bacteria. I have stuck to decaf the whole time on Atkins, strictly because he says caffeine can mess up your insulin levels. Everything I have read about caffeine lately is negative, and if your system is overburdened already (from Candida), you would do well to eliminate it.

Also, some diets say no cheese at all, Atkins says cream cheese and mozzerella are okay. For some reason, and I always have loved cheese, cheddar cheese tastes bad to me lately. I have been eating cream cheese, putting cream in my tea, and have had parmesian occasionally, and my yeast symptoms are lessening.

I would like to stress that the only sweetener that is "legal" on a candida diet is Stevia. Stay away from aspartame, Splenda, etc. These all feed the yeast. You might notice incredibly strong cravings for sugar while you are on the candida diet. Just don't give in, tell yourself that it is the yeast that wants the sugar, not you, and you want them to DIE! So, don't feed them!

You might want to get some molybdenum, a nutrient that helps with die off symptoms. Drink ALOT of water. Peppermint tea helps with nausea for some people. I felt much worse before I felt better, but don't give up.

Good luck, let us know how you are doing!!!!

-Jess
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 01:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/149/125
BF:
Progress: 37%

Thanks!

I will do my best to give up caffeine (groan!).

As for the cheeses, initially, I will try to avoid all cheeses, and then perhaps have some cream cheese or mozzerella.

Nuts and vinegar are also to be avoided, as I understand, so I will try to avoid these too.

I began taking Nystatin and Acidophilus yesterday. Can someone give me an idea of how long it takes for the 'die off' to begin?

Hoping to be yeast free soon,
Joan
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 00:29

BF:

Most of the 'no decaf' folks object to the way the coffee has been decaffeinated, rather than the fact that it is decaf. Usually the 'no chemicals in any form' crowd. Personally, I don't care *how* it's been decaffed, I just know I simply can't have the caffeine because it really raises my blood sugar and it brings back my PMS symptoms, plus I no longer like the taste (yes, I can 'tell')
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 12:28

Plan: ?
Stats: 150/150/150 Male 165cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessea
Aha! I have the answer - Why no caffeine?

One cup of non-decaf coffee can kill of 75% of the beneficial bacteria that are in the colon.
Can I ask where you read this?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-07, 20:18

Plan: candida wipe out plan
Stats: 130/115/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 150%

This is a gray area as far as the decaf, ok....not ok. I was under the assumption that it was the caffeine in the drinks that raises blood sugar and therefore bad for candida and also the ingredients in them that will kill the good bacteria. All coffee is said to be bad because of the ingredients in them as well as any black teas.....including decaf tea. I have been drinking green tea, but I do KNOW for a fact that herbal teas are best.

I also read where caffeine will kill most of the bacteria in the gut but I can not remember where I read it because I have read SO many things.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-07, 05:29

Plan: ?
Stats: 150/150/150 Male 165cm
BF:
Progress:

Well I'm not one for taking advice without reference to a source. I'd like to see a study or something into caffeine killing 75% of gut flora with up to 6 hours to repopulate. If that's the case I'd think that most people would have a case of candida.

I did a lot of scouring and found the reason for no decaf is because coffee is acidic and thus isn't optimum for your stomach - that's all. So have it with food or something alkali and you've no problem. I must say that anti-candida advice is welcome, but I'm getting quite fed up with contradictory evidence which is usually because one of the advice givers is prescribing advice without explanation as to why, and it's not usually canidida specific.

Another example: aspartame. Sure, going without is better but when you can't have sugar, aspartame can be what stops you completely failing. So it's a lesser evil BY FAR.

The biggest one is of course when people try to get healthy in general, low fat is advocated, despite that an intake of 80-100g a day with a third of that being saturated is optimum for hormone production, vitamin absorption and metabolic efficiency which is why the weight loss slows after a few weeks. There's so, SO much rubbish out there.