Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-20, 06:22

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Thanks for the list. Some points I was familiar with and others not so much.

Been mulling it over ......wondering if any can be mitigated by IF. Wondering if cultures that live their ancient ways with less available food also have loss of taste........?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
It is my opinion that we know most about aging on the SAD diet. So things are open to improvement.

I'm almost 67, switched from high carb to LC around age 50ish.

At that time, my taste buds were rather messed up, especially in regards to sweets. Aside from the constant blood sugar/insulin roller coaster on a high carb diet, I was always craving sweet tastes, but no matter how sweet the food was, it was always disappointing, because it never seemed sweet enough.

I can't remember how long ago the change occurred after switching to LC, but now I can detect even a tiny bit of sweetness in food, so I'm assuming it was a gradual readjustment of my sense of taste. Now, strawberries are plenty sweet, blueberries and cherries are VERY sweet, cantaloupe and watermelon are so excessively sweet that I can't eat more than a bite of them. Forget food that's had sugar added to it - that's sickeningly sweet.

A similar thing has happened with starches, particularly flour. If I eat something that has a little flour or bread crumbs added to it to thicken the sauce or extend the meat - yuck! The taste of flour is overwhelming, despite the fact that I was never able to distinguish the taste of flour on a high carb diet.

Other foods (meats, seasonings, vegetables, fats) also taste more distinct than they did 20 years ago. I have no idea if the ability to distinguish more flavors will continue as I get older, and into the "aged" category (as opposed to just a few years into the senior citizen category), but I hope so.

How about those of you who are in your 70's and 80's - how's your sense of taste doing on LC, as compared to your high carb days?